One of my two SSIDs continually loses connectivity

Bageland2000

Limp Gawd
I have a new home, and have gone from Google Fiber to WOW cable internet. The issue presents itself on both my old Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 modem and my new 3.1 modem. The problem is that I will constantly (at least twice per day) lose internet connectivity. However, I'm running a 2G and 5G SSID (separate) and, switching to the other WiFi will instantly restore internet to the device. I believe, but can't say for 100% certain, that it's happened on both SSIDs. I can say for sure that the connection goes out on the 5G channel. When the connection drops, it drops for all devices, as in computers, and IoT devices (Google Homes spaz out during this outage when you try to talk to them.)

I've tried:
Changing WiFi channels

Factory reset then restoring the config

Here is the firmware update and check procedure if it hasn't already occurred it should when your follow the instructions provided.

I assume that the access point is built into the modem / router device?

If this is the case, I'd recommend either supplementing or replacing it with another access point. House size, topology, etc. all need to be considered, but a quick and easy example is Ubiquiti's Unifi UAP-AC-Pro.

I assume that the access point is built into the modem / router device?

Yeah, need more info here. You only mention modems, so I'm making assumptions here to. Are you saying that: Internet runs on a combo Modem/Wifi Router #1 - with no other network appliances downstream and 5G fails to ALL devices, 2.4 is fine. Then you swapped out to Modem/Wifi Router #2, also with no other network appliances downstream and 5G also drops out to ALL 5G appliances while 2.4 is fine? Internet path is Fiber/Internet from provider into Modem/Router combo and nothing else after but client devices wirelessly connected?

If the above is exactly true - the only possible explanation I can quickly think of is your network or network neighbor is blasting 5Ghz traffic swamping the antennas or they are sitting near something causing interference. Just a wild guess based on assumptions. ALL devices at same time on 2 different routers. Would be very curious what router logs say if you have that level of verbosity available.

Generally, ISP's only offer modems, not wifi routers with default ISP subs and leaves the responsibility of WIFI to the end user. If the modems you mention are strictly modems and you're moving a WIFI router/AP after them in the chain then swap it out as IdiotInCharge said. Possible culprits are overheating of the signal processor or a bum firmware. Try upgrading or downgrading to the next/previous version.

So sorry for the lack of info:

[ISP] WOWAY 600mbps cable internet -> [modem] Netgear CM1100-100NAR Nighthawk DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem -> [router] Netgear Nighthawk R7000 wireless ac

When the 2.4GHz channel or 5GHz channel fails, it fails for all devices
There are no other network devices downstream.

As others eluded, replacement necessary. Your nighthawk is either overheating or going dead. As a previous owner of a R7000, Im not surprised. Now a Unifi owner.

Maybe I'll use this opportunity to upgrade to WiFi 6
Also, just went on a personal tangent concerning WiFi 6 and WPA3 -- solid WPA3 implementations are what you want to look for.

Ubiquiti doesn't have support for either in shipping projects at this time.

Also, just went on a personal tangent concerning WiFi 6 and WPA3 -- solid WPA3 implementations are what you want to look for.

Ubiquiti doesn't have support for either in shipping projects at this time.
Software upgrade or now?

Software upgrade or now?
Honestly after more research it looks like various manufacturers are either a) willing to commit to consumer grade products -- Ubiquiti does have a consumer grade WiFi 6 setup and has a 'Lite' AP in their early access store -- or b) building significant flexibility into their commercial products a la Cisco, Ruckus, Aruba. The consumer-grade stuff is likely to be obsoleted before WiFi 6 really hits its stride, with WPA3 likely unsupported, and the commercial stuff is priced at commercial levels (US$500 to US$1000 per AP, or more).

Back