One of my FX60 cores is dead/dying!

Antho_ie

n00b
Ok, got a prob with my fx60; "core 1" is constantly failing prime95. At 2.9ghz it fails immediately, at 2.75 it takes about 1 hour and at 2.6 about 4'ish. It's really irritating as so far I'm really missing my nice stable 4400+ :rolleyes:

Anyway, the processor was an ebay purchase without the stock HSF (Using an Arctic Freezer at moment) so curious how this will affect an RMA? And how exactly do AMD deal with RMA's? i.e do they ship a replacement first? or wait for the return to be recieved?

-----just noticed i said no stock HSF, it was supplied with one, but i include it in the sale of my 4400------

Any info appreciated........

#1. AMD will not take eBay returns.
#2. Even if rule #1 never existed, you need the stock HSF.

You forgot rule #3.

He overclocked it, there goes his warranty, if he had one to begin with..

You could still try to RMA it....weird one of the cores failing. Just tell AMD the truth, you bought it off ebay etc etc.

He overclocked it, there goes his warranty, if he had one to begin with..

Well first noticed the Prime95 failures at stock speeds & out of curiousity ramped up the speeds.....

#1. AMD will not take eBay returns.
#2. Even if rule #1 never existed, you need the stock HSF.

Noticed that one question AMD ask on enquiries is "Make of HSF" But I can always get an original HSF off ebay :D But will still need a reciept of some sort.

You could still try to RMA it....weird one of the cores failing. Just tell AMD the truth, you bought it off ebay etc etc.

Thats what I thought, it's pretty much much first ever CPU problem I've had in 16 years!!!!! Waiting for a reply from AMD now. If they don't want it back I can just run it at stock (2.6) and live with crashes :rolleyes: Just a shame that'll be slower than my 4400+ :(

You feed it heavy voltage or anything? AMD isnt going to check whether you overclocked it or not its really up to your own morals. My own personal morals say if I didn't cook it with voltage or do something to kill it then it ain't my fault ;)

A bit OT, but can AMD tell if you OCed even if you set it back to original speeds? I mean I don't think it has a built in log with changes in speeds, right? So if it still works you could just set it back to stock settings and ship it back to them, that is after you get rid of the other problems

UncleDavid218 said:
But that is being dishonest. Dishonesty drives up the prices for everyone else.
How's that? I bet this fella paid a good amount on eBay for this as it is. And do you really think AMD would care too much? It costs like 15 dollars to make a chip for them, but they sell it for like 400 dollars if I'm not mistaken, that's dishonesty. I doubt they'll go bankrupt from this, the original owner paid for it through retail anyway, they got their money

UncleDavid218 said:
But that is being dishonest. Dishonesty drives up the prices for everyone else.
And selling me a chip that dies for reasons I know aren't my fault makes me not buy their product which on the micro scale will cost them more.

To the guy before me, you are paying for development costs too. They didnt just magically come up with these things ;) thats also the reason they aren't all that strict on the RMAs though. Probably cheaper to just give you a new chip than look into it.

Probably shouldnt RMA an eBay FX60 though. I bet the last user punished the holy bejezus out of it with god awful amounts of voltage then decided to sell it before he had to live with the consequences.

wow Jakal, you managed to post 2 totally contradictary viewpoints in 4 sentences.
I think the most important of those 4 sentences was:

"I bet the last user punished the holy bejezus out of it with god awful amounts of voltage then decided to sell it before he had to live with the consequences."

This is why you don't buy things used on e-bay and RMA them; because it's not YOUR chip...someone else bought it and they likely fucked it up and then ebayed it to you because you want a discount. I expect the chip ran great @ 2.9ghz until the last fucker got his hands on it and wanted 3ghz on air so bad he jacked the voltage to 1.67v or some shit on the stock heatsink.

If you want a discount so you decide to buy from fleabay, you need to accept that (a) you're buying used and possibly (likely in this case :rolleyes: ) damaged goods and (b) YOU GET NO WARRANTY.

You feed it heavy voltage or anything? AMD isnt going to check whether you overclocked it or not its really up to your own morals. My own personal morals say if I didn't cook it with voltage or do something to kill it then it ain't my fault

I've had it at stock voltage only, wasn't gonna push it straight away!

Probably shouldnt RMA an eBay FX60 though. I bet the last user punished the holy bejezus out of it with god awful amounts of voltage then decided to sell it before he had to live with the consequences.

He said he didn't.... why would he lie :D

Anyway, been in touch with AMD, don't need a reciept but they'll check the serial number through their database. Will wait until after christmas before I try to rma it as i still need to get hold of an AMD heatsink & a little plastic box to hold the processor.

Been re-running Prime95 today at stock (200x13) and no failure after 4 hours. Maybe an issue with my usual FSB speed of 250? Out of curiousity what is the average fx60 oc on air?

You would not be able to RMA this processor:

A. It's a used eBay purchase - the warranty is non transferable.
B. You don't have the stock HSF
C. You overclocked it.

Antho_ie said:
I've had it at stock voltage only, wasn't gonna push it straight away!

He said he didn't.... why would he lie :D

Anyway, been in touch with AMD, don't need a reciept but they'll check the serial number through their database. Will wait until after christmas before I try to rma it as i still need to get hold of an AMD heatsink & a little plastic box to hold the processor.

Been re-running Prime95 today at stock (200x13) and no failure after 4 hours. Maybe an issue with my usual FSB speed of 250? Out of curiousity what is the average fx60 oc on air?

Hi Mistar C.

You just got owned.

VanFanel89 said:
Haha - dont even bother buddy - I already let everyone know about you in the department - trying to fraud us is a serious business.

don't stick your nose in other peoples business

you usually need a receipt for RMA/returns/exchanges. It's an important question to ask the seller if the product is still under warranty.

bobrownik said:
don't stick your nose in other peoples business

It is my business when he calls in to set an RMA for a processor that should not have a warranty. Breaking rules = bad thing.

ignore the morality police, an fx60 is a big $ to swallow. Does it work at stock speeds? if so, no warranty issue...

while technically its not under warranty per say from what I have read here - I WOULD try to RMA it anyways.

i am assuming yours is retail boxed.

I RMA'ed a pentium 930-D I cooked an an Asus board with a vmod gone bad (also RMA'ed the board...) last june - i fried them and still got warrenty - Intel did not ask for bill, just serial #. The asus i returned at place where I got it. God damn flake asus boards but anyways -> :D

I am not sure about AMD. If they want a bill, contact the buyer, see if you can get the bill. If noot, print one yourself from ABC bullshit small computer store where you bought something... (scanners are beautiful things). Make a photocopy of your printout so it looks legit and your golden. No one checks these things. A place that just recently closed down is even better. No way to prove otherwise.

Do not mention that you overclocked it!!!! and tell them you ARE using the stock X2/FX cooler. they will not ask for that back on RMA - just the cpu.

when calling technical support. Ignore the morality police that posted above. If you lived close to me, I would give you 100$ for it and RMA it myself...

Worst case scenario - go buy a FX 60 based computer at like bestbuy, swap cpus, and return the messed up one in the computer. Order one from somewhere, swap the heat-spacers and return. another trick. even if you pay restocking, still cheaper than losing on the whole cpu. (especially an FX) Rules are nice, but Money has greater utility than some BS concept of honesty.

PS> VanFanel89 do not stick your nose in other peoples business. Since you do not have his cpu # - even if he does call in, how do you know its him? give up the scare tactics. The "guy at the computer store who upgraded my computer says the cpu is bad and told me to call you guys" works every time... Of they ask what motherboard, find a 939 one that does not support overclocking but supports the x2/fx and say you have that one.

lack of warranty is just an excuse for the corporations not to fix their defective product,

did he call you? no i don't think he did,

are you the law? i don't think so,

bobrownik said:
lack of warranty is just an excuse for the corporations not to fix their defective product,

did he call you? no i don't think he did,

are you the law? i don't think so,

Right, but IIRC, he works in the AMD RMA Department...

messerchmidt said:
ignore the morality police, an fx60 is a big $ to swallow. Does it work at stock speeds? if so, no warranty issue...

while technically its not under warranty per say from what I have read here - I WOULD try to RMA it anyways.

I RMA'ed a pentium 930-D I cooked an an Asus board with a vmod gone bad (also RMA'ed the board...) last june - i fried it and still got warrenty - Intel did not ask for bill, just serial #. :D

I am not sure about AMD. If they want a bill, contact the buyer, see if you can get the bill. If not, print one from ABC bullshit small computer store where you bought something... (scanners are beautiful things)

Do not mention that you overclocked it!!!! and tell them you ARE using the stock X2/FX cooler. they will not ask for that back on RMA - just the cpu.

when calling technical support. Ignore the morality police. If you lived close to me, I would give you 100$ for it and RMA it myself...

Worst case scenario - go buy a FX 60 based computer at like bestbuy, swap cpus, and return the messed up one in the computer.

PS> VanFanel89 do not stick your nose in other peoples business. Since you do not have his cpu # - even if he does call in, how do you know its him? the "guy at the computer store who upgraded my computer says the cpu went bad and told me to call you guys" works everytime...

Oh really, I shouldn't stick my nose into my business? He is calling the company I work for trying to fraud AMD because he voided the warranty of the processor by:

A. Buying a used processor
B. Overclocking the processor
C. Not using the stock HSF

All of these are conditions to a voided warranty as per the Certificate of Authenticity.

I am sorry for trying to make sure AMD is not getting ripped off. Have a nice day :rolleyes:

since no one has this guys fx 60 serial # - no way to know what cpu he has. if he needs an x2 cooler, get one off ebay or buy it off this forum in case they ask. jesus, so hard. The damn cpu was probably defective to begin with.

Listen VanFanel89 , in his situation - you WOULD have tried to RMA it even if you broke it. Im not going to pretend that I would not, because I would. Like it matters what it says on some paperwork, the fact is that their is no way for them to really prove that hr broke it versus it failing itself.

well my opinion is try to RMA it anyways, if it does not work, you are no worse off. If it does, good to go.

Yeah, it's retail boxed, have the box, but the HSF went with my 4400+ :rolleyes:

Worst case scenario - go buy a FX 60 based computer at like bestbuy, swap cpus, and return the messed up one in the computer.

Hehe... just too lazy to bother with that, if it all goes pear shaped will just have to stop running BOINC on it.

You would not be able to RMA this processor:

A. It's a used eBay purchase - the warranty is non transferable.
B. You don't have the stock HSF
C. You overclocked it.

A. fair point
B. i sold it with my 4400 :rolleyes:
C. Why do AMD sell a processor with an open multiplier and not expect people to try!? :confused:

Anyway, overall the cpu cost me £80, Bought it as package with mb,ram, hsf and an evo33 HSF. Sold everything except the fx60 & got most of my money back.

OP should try to get a refund through ebay. It's not easy, but if you paid by paypal it should be doable. The chip was faulty when you received it, so send it back to the buyer.

And try running your system at stock rather than a funky fsb before rma-ing it. Chances are AMD will test it at stock and send it back to you otherwise.

Not many guys here raised the flag of a bad ocing experience from the fleaBay seller and attempting to get rid of a broken CPU to a poor buyer. I don't hold my breath of seeing AMD accept the RMA request and if it does, kudos for being lucky.

If you aren't lucky and AMD reject, your only 2 options is either live with it or try to sell back to feeBay to recoup the losses then get another one via more reliable ways.

messerchmidt said:
since no one has this guys fx 60 serial # - no way to know what cpu he has. if he needs an x2 cooler, get one off ebay or buy it off this forum in case they ask. jesus, so hard. The damn cpu was probably defective to begin with.

Listen VanFanel89 , in his situation - you WOULD have tried to RMA it even if you broke it. Im not going to pretend that I would not, because I would. Like it matters what it says on some paperwork, the fact is that their is no way for them to really prove that hr broke it versus it failing itself.

well my opinion is try to RMA it anyways, if it does not work, you are no worse off. If it does, good to go.

Unlike you - some people do not try and rip off a company when they know its their blatant fault for a defective processor if its broken (i.e. broken pins etc). If you overclocked your processor pushed it too far and it fried - your fault. If you OC'd it and it failed the Prime95 test but when it runs at stock speeds its not failing - you solved your problem. The FX-60 will be tested and it will come to the same conclusion.

But the most important part is the fact that the warranty is NON TRANSFERABLE. He bought a used processor - no warranty, period. You bought yourself a used car - and it broke, are you gonna go to the manufacturer and whine about it if the manufacturer states the warranty is non transferable?

VanFanel89 said:
Unlike you - some people do not try and rip off a company when they know its their blatant fault for a defective processor if its broken (i.e. broken pins etc). If you overclocked your processor pushed it too far and it fried - your fault. If you OC'd it and it failed the Prime95 test but when it runs at stock speeds its not failing - you solved your problem. The FX-60 will be tested and it will come to the same conclusion.

But the most important part is the fact that the warranty is NON TRANSFERABLE. He bought a used processor - no warranty, period. You bought yourself a used car - and it broke, are you gonna go to the manufacturer and whine about it if the manufacturer states the warranty is non transferable?

nontransferable warranty is a pure ripoff,
how can you say it was his fault that the cpu broke?, you dont have any proof, it could have broke because of a manufacturing defect, most people using this forum have overclocked cpus, how many of them broke because of overclocking ? , not many,

the right thing to do here is to take it from the rich and give it to the poor,
you're just a slave to the corporation, you have no moral obligations towards them

non nontransferable warranty is a pure ripoff,
how can you say it was his fault that the cpu broke?, you dont have any, it could have broke because of a manufacturing defect, most people using this forum have overclocked cpus, how many of them broke because of overclocking ? , not many,

OK dude, you sell me a cpu. I fry it. Hell, i fry it, then i piss on it and light it on fire. Then i polish the motherfucker up and I sell it to my friend Jimmy. Jimmy finds your phone number and calls you, "Hey, i bought this CPU you sold Headless and he sold it to me and it's fucked! I want you to replace it RIGHT NOW, for free, because it CLEARLY is defective!". Why the fuck would you be obligated to replace that CPU for Jimmy? If you do not see how utterly stupid this request is, you are truly beyond help.

You do not call the original manufacturer and demand a free CPU because you bought a USED ONE that is broken. You call the fucker who sold you a broken CPU and have him replace it or refund your money. He won't? Oh shit! You should have asked him about that before you bought it.
Period.

headless said:
OK dude, you sell me a cpu. I fry it. Hell, i fry it, then i piss on it and light it on fire. Then i polish the motherfucker up and I sell it to my friend Jimmy. Jimmy finds your phone number and calls you, "Hey, i bought this CPU you sold Headless and he sold it to me and it's fucked! I want you to replace it RIGHT NOW, for free, because it CLEARLY is defective!". Why the fuck would you be obligated to replace that CPU for Jimmy? If you do not see how utterly stupid this request is, you are truly beyond help.

You do not call the original manufacturer and demand a free CPU because you bought a USED ONE that is broken. You call the fucker who sold you a broken CPU and have him replace it or refund your money. He won't? Oh shit! You should have asked him about that before you bought it.
Period.

ZING!!!

headless said:

Period.

FTW

Damnit you beat me. :p

headless said:

Period.

i guess Robin Hood is not your favorite character?

bobrownik said:
i guess Robin Hood is not your favorite character?

Robin hood stole shit from rich people and gave it away to poor people; he didn't buy old, fucked up horses, shoot them in the leg, then sell them to a fucking peasant so they could demand a new foal from the guy who originally sold Robin Hood the fuckin horse because it was now lame and unusable. If you bought a VCR from some crackhead on the corner outside the 7-11 would you expect to be able to take it back to best buy for a refund when it turns out the crackhead was using it as a toilet? :rolleyes:

headless said:
Robin hood stole shit from rich people and gave it away to poor people; he didn't buy old, fucked up horses, shoot them in the leg, then sell them to a fucking peasant so they could demand a new foal from the guy who originally sold Robin Hood the fuckin horse because it was now lame and unusable. If you bought a VCR from some crackhead on the corner outside the 7-11 would you expect to be able to take it back to best buy for a refund when it turns out the crackhead was using it as a toilet? :rolleyes:

ure just twisting the story to your advantage , but you can't twist the ideology

bobrownik said:
ure just twisting the story to your advantage , but you can't twist the ideology

The point is the same - you bought a 2nd hand device - are you gonna go to the manufacturer to have it fixed cuz the previous owned screwed it up?

Who the hell cares. Let's say he RMA's it to AMD there is 1 of 2 things that will happen.

1.) They replace it
2.) They send it back

I don't see why all you lamers are getting your panties in a bind, it's the OP's choice to attempt the RMA. Besides, I bet most of you have overclocked your CPU as well, hence the reason for coming to this forum in the first place.

Don't come at me saying it raises the cost of the CPU's and other garbage like that because that is totally untrue. Do you actually think the prices would go down if there weren't any RMA's of CPU's? NO! So quit your bitching and let the OP try this out. If it works, shame on AMD, if it doesn't, shame on the OP for buying off of the bay.

VanFanel89 said:
The point is the same - you bought a 2nd hand device - are you gonna go to the manufacturer to have it fixed cuz the previous owned screwed it up?

youre talking out of your #@# again, you have no proof whatsoever that previous or current owner damaged the cpu,

bobrownik said:
youre talking out of your #@# again, you have no proof whatsoever that previous or current owner damaged the cpu,

Well even so - the current user overclocked it and thus potentially damaged it. Now why should a company replace a product that was damaged by the user?

bobrownik said:
All the proof he needs is right here:

Antho_ie said:
Ok, got a prob with my fx60; "core 1" is constantly failing prime95. At 2.9ghz it fails immediately, at 2.75 it takes about 1 hour and at 2.6 about 4'ish. I

He tried to oc, and immediately voided whatever shred of a warranty he has left. Besides, don't you think someone who actually reviews amd rma's for a living might know a little more than you?

VanFanel89 said:
Well even so - the current user overclocked it and thus potentially damaged it. Now why should a company replace a product that was damaged by the user?

ok , so he could have potentially damaged it,

if it was up to me , id rather give him a new cpu than lose him as a customer,

so amd will lose like what $400 or less if they replace the cpu?
well now imagine, if the guy buys 2 amd cpus a year, and you dont replace his broken cpu?
now he goes to buying intel for next 10 years , how much do you lose now?

Back