One of my cpu fan is dead/dying, worth replacing?

xellos2099alpha

[H]ard|Gawd
Long story short, i have 4790k as my cpu and i have some kind of gaint corsair cpu cooler with heat pipe and 2 fan, one of each side. One of them kind of stop moving, is it fixable? Should i try to replace the fan or get a new cooler?

Hrre is how the fan and the cpu cooler look like.

Yeah, go ahead and replace it. Replace both of them if you want with some nice ones from Arctic or Noctua.
Don't let your CPU get burned.

But on the other hand, this also gives you a chance to buy an entirely new cooler if you're unhappy with your current one.
Up to you.

Yeah, go ahead and replace it. Replace both of them if you want with some nice ones from Arctic or Noctua.
Don't let your CPU get burned.

But on the other hand, this also gives you a chance to buy an entirely new cooler if you're unhappy with your current one.
Up to you.
what would you recommand for fan replacement

You want the PST version. Each fan has an input and output cable, so you can plug a fan into it, and plug it into another fan. Daisy chain to your hearts content, but just know that the standard 1Amp mobo fan header can only take 4ish of them. Still plenty. I have 3 intake fans chained into a single header just fine. Still, if you have a Y splitter already, and you are fine with the other cpu fan, then just get the cheapest singular Arctic P12 PWM fan there, $10+5 shipping

Looking at the Amazon link, they recently raised their prices a bit. The 5pack PST PWM used to be $7 shipping, now its $10. The single black PST PWM used to be $10 per with $5 shipping, now its $15per with free shipping. But if you order 2, its still $15 per ($30 total), not $20+5s/h.

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-ACFAN00120A-Pressure-Optimized-Sharing-Technology/dp/B07GJGF56L/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Arctic+P12s+PST+PWM&qid=1599835623&sr=8-1&th=1&tag=hardfocom-20

For comparison, an Arctic P12 performs very similiar to best in class Noctua A12x25, and that costs $30 per fan.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Honestly 1 fan is all you need on A70. Even big twin tower coolers like NH-D15 only gain a couple degrees cooler temps with 2 fans, and that is only at full speed. 2x fans make about 3dB more noise than 1x fan, and 1x fan making same amount of noise as 2x fans by spinning a little faster is moving about the same amount of air. So 1x fan at same noise level as 2x fans cools to the same temp .. with only running full speed maybe being a little cooler. You can use 2x if you want. As for using PST version for 2 cooler fans, most modern motherboards have 2 CPU fan headers. I would check manual or look at motherboard to be sure.

Honestly 1 fan is all you need on A70. Even big twin tower coolers like NH-D15 only gain a couple degrees cooler temps with 2 fans, and that is only at full speed. 2x fans make about 3dB more noise than 1x fan, and 1x fan making same amount of noise as 2x fans by spinning a little faster is moving about the same amount of air. So 1x fan at same noise level as 2x fans cools to the same temp .. with only running full speed maybe being a little cooler.

This is the cheaper option. First, remove your non-working fan and compare temps at load of 1 fan vs 2 fan. If you are fine with the temps/noise, then you dont need to buy anything.

I'd just swap out the fan. I did that on my Corsair A50 a few years ago. Pretty painless.

Those artic fans are nice, but they did jump in price. You used to be able to get a 5 pack for $25-30 shipped.

Please keep in mind Arctic warranty is a depreciating coverage .. based on original price less 10 % per year. So after a couple years it becomes kinda worthless, and that's assuming owner doesn't have to return fan to get warranty. If it has to be returned the warranty payment won't even cover return cost.

".... the amount of the purchase price, less 10% at the end of each year after delivery. For example, at the end of the third year after delivery, the fair value will be at least the amount of the purchase price, less 30%. ..."

Talk to your Arctic rep or sales people. But doubt it will do you any good. Arctic depends on buyers no reading the warranty, just looking at "7 years" and thinking it's real.o_O Arctic isn't what I would call a good company anyway, so don't expect them to do a real warranty like good companies do. ;)

Last edited:
They have been great for my GPU cooler. Sent a fan shroud and a molex cable both for free. 6 year wtty is great

Is there no dust filter on that case?
Dust kills fans, psu fans especially.

Pull the cpu cooler, clean thermal paste, reapply.

Maybe reexamine your cooling layout while you are at it.
Increase # of intake fans.

Last edited:
They have been great for my GPU cooler. Sent a fan shroud and a molex cable both for free. 6 year wtty is great
"6 year warranty is great" means little. Sure, if that 6 year warranty has no annual deprecation rate and they send owner a new fan with owner only needing to send a pic of fan after they break a fan blade out of it (like Noctua does). But if company requires owner to send fan in or annual depreciation is 10-15% based on original price a fan that cost £6 depreciating 10% a yea has a warranty value of £3 after 5 years. Add to that same fan quite possibly has increased in price to £8-10 leaving owner having to pay £5-7 out of pocket to get a new fan.

well i was runnign control as a test and got the following reading

Your temps are not bad, but we don't know what actual load on CPU was during that run.
If that's 50% CPU load and fans (case and cooler) are at full speed them is high.
If that's 90-100% load then temps are quite low.
Your i7 4790 has a throttle temp of 100c, and it's very safe at 80c.

What is your case and case fan setup? A system with bad case airflow will run hot with even the very best cooler. ;)

Back