One more time, STEAM suxorz

Status
Not open for further replies.
ÆonTrinity;1033607360 said:
I've never had a problem with steam... I just wish they let you de-register keys so you could sell their games used.

You just answered your own question

Why? Whats the point in upgrading to Vista? There are no benefits you gain by shelling out the $200 or so. In fact, you will end up having more problems with your peripherals and drivers.

First off, Vista doesn't cost "$200 or so". Newegg has it for $100. Secondly, Vista is MUCH better with memory management. Thirdly, unless you're using old hardware you will have little to any problems with it.

While we're talking about this though, I just started to run HL2 but for me it gets past the blur but it CTD.

First off, Vista doesn't cost "$200 or so". Newegg has it for $100. Secondly, Vista is MUCH better with memory management. Thirdly, unless you're using old hardware you will have little to any problems with it.

While we're talking about this though, I just started to run HL2 but for me it gets past the blur but it CTD.

Plus, if you are going 64bit, its your only reasonable option.

Why? Whats the point in upgrading to Vista? There are no benefits you gain by shelling out the $200 or so. In fact, you will end up having more problems with your peripherals and drivers.

Are you listening to yourself? Do you realize how stupid you sound? U can upgrade for 100, and problems? Seriously, that was at LAUNCH, everything i have ever plugged into my vista system has installed perfectly! You might have a problem if your trying to plug in a device from the 1990's. Please do some CURRENT research on vista before you try to say something, k thx.

Does anyone know how to change the settings for HL2 back to default? It may be because I have a setting wrong.

I love Steam I think it is incredibly innovative. I remember when it launched in 2004 with HL2 (or was it CS:Source) I didn't realize at the time how important it would become. The digital delivery system is superb and with a 2MB/S internet connection most games download in well under an hour. Cheap harddrive space makes physical backup of the game files a non issue, and I love the reduced clutter of not having physical media laying all over the place. Media that, by the way, is susceptible to damage, loss, and even theft.

There is no doubt that I buy more games because of Steam. I probably would not go out of my way to go to the store for Prince of Persia but I'll probably get it on Steam.

man such big deal over something so small
guess OP never used steam BETA now that was disaster

Why is this guy allowed to post? Considering he keeps making the same type of post, it looks to me like he's a troll.

56k still exists?

Yes. I'm on 56k...broadband (especially that of any decent speed and bandwidth) is still far too expensive where I live.

tasmania.jpg

Ignoramus users blaming a delivery method for what's probably something wrong on their computer is priceless.

Kind of like buying a wrecked car, going to a gas station, filling up gas in a can worth of 50 bucks, putting it in the car and then crying "why won't this gas work???? i paid 50 dollars for this piece of shit!! fucking amaco.. i'm never buying gas from them again!!"

I will never buy into the Digital Distribution of games ... unless I don't pay for them. I ALWAYS buy the box.

I will however buy MMOG's online and download them simply because they usually just ship you a blank disc and have you patch the game in anyways. (EQ/FFXI etc.)

I will never buy into the Digital Distribution of games ... unless I don't pay for them. I ALWAYS buy the box.

I will however buy MMOG's online and download them simply because they usually just ship you a blank disc and have you patch the game in anyways. (EQ/FFXI etc.)

Why? With Steam you don't need disks or cracks or hacks to play without disks. You can make backup copies and your game library becomes virtual, no need to worry about lost or damaged media.

I know there are those who problems with the DRM, I just don't worry about it. I pay for my stuff so if something goes awry I don't see why I wouldn't receive support as I now have well of $1000 in Steam games and I'm sure they still want to make money.

Just got Mirrors Edge last night from Stream. It's actually a pretty fun game and runs great.

One last thing, no sales tax where I live, at least for now!:)

Well have fun with that, physical media for the pc is slowly dwindling away, and youll only be able to buy it online. Sorry that you are still stuck in the 1990's.

STEAM 4EVAR!

Why? With Steam you don't need disks or cracks or hacks to play without disks. You can make backup copies and your game library becomes virtual, no need to worry about lost or damaged media.

This is the exact reason why i like steam, i wish there was someone that sold wav files like this. :D

well...thanks for all the help, those of you who actually offered suggestions

To those having this problem... I had the problem where I'd get to the blur screen and then CTD. I fixed it by disabling the in game community tab. Once it had successfully launched I was eventually able to reenable it. I'm also running Vista BTW. Hope that helps someone.

I prefer having my games in boxes. It's the same with CDs and movies too - I like having the physical product, the manual, the artwork, etc. Buying all your games through download isn't exactly practical in Australia either, since we don't have particularly good download quotas on top of comparitively slower Internet speeds.

Of course, the budget versions of the games look so hideous that the digital alternative becomes soooo much more appealing.

I like it.

Lets do it.

We're going to need a couple hundred thousand of these, A few billion tonnes of fuel, lots of hose, some industrial/municiple grade pumps, and a really big tank.

You're on.

No you won't unless you are running 5+ year old hardware.

The primary reason I hate steam is that I will install a game. Update the game. Then a couple months down the road steam says that the game needs to be updated and won't launch until I get an internet connection again. With no hardware changes either.

The primary reason I hate steam is that I will install a game. Update the game. Then a couple months down the road steam says that the game needs to be updated and won't launch until I get an internet connection again. With no hardware changes either.

Right click on the game and select properties. Somewhere in there is the option to "Keep this game updated". Turn that off.

My friend is having this same problem. It occurred after he got a virus or 10... The only way I could get HL2 to open was by running it in Window Mode first and then full screening it. Even then it would still crash when in game from time to time. Other than that there is no way to fix it short of a complete reinstall of Windows.

I am guessing there something wrong with hardware or OS configuration that is preventing HL2 from working. It could be be a bad audio driver or even a certain registry setting. If you are having problems with steam which has worked perfectly for me for years (save a couple a buggy updates which the .blob deletion fixed everytime.) then I have a feeling in the future you are going to be having even more problems with other games. I would just backup what you have and start fresh, if after this many months you still haven't figured out the problem.

I know there are those who problems with the DRM, I just don't worry about it. I pay for my stuff so if something goes awry I don't see why I wouldn't receive support as I now have well of $1000 in Steam games and I'm sure they still want to make money.

Just got Mirrors Edge last night from Stream. It's actually a pretty fun game and runs great.

One last thing, no sales tax where I live, at least for now!:)

I agree. I've converted nearly my whole collection to Steam. (excluding a ton of very old stuff, which I keep in a very large box)

I still largely like to buy games the "old way", if you will. I just have a knack for collecting the game boxes, manuals, CD's/DVD's, etc that you cannot do through digital distribution. And to the person who commented that everything will be distributed solely through online means is a naive comment because more avenues or distribution will allow more people to get a hold of a copy.

The only thing I don't like about Steam at the moment is when I buy something and use a debit card, they don't have it setup to select APO addresses. I mean, what the hell? There is nothing wrong with a fricken APO address since they don't have to ship anything to such an address....

The only problem I have ever had was after I update Steam, it acts as if I have never logged in before.
I just have to re log and everything is fine.

I still largely like to buy games the "old way", if you will. I just have a knack for collecting the game boxes, manuals, CD's/DVD's, etc that you cannot do through digital distribution. And to the person who commented that everything will be distributed solely through online means is a naive comment because more avenues or distribution will allow more people to get a hold of a copy.

The only thing I don't like about Steam at the moment is when I buy something and use a debit card, they don't have it setup to select APO addresses. I mean, what the hell? There is nothing wrong with a fricken APO address since they don't have to ship anything to such an address....

Does it really take a "knack" to collect game boxes?

Same question, but with the definitions of knack replacing the word knack:

Does it really take "a clever trick or stratagem" to collect game boxes?
Does it really take "a special ready capacity that is hard to analyze or teach" to collect game boxes?

Well hello there folks! Time to kill this thread as it has strayed and there is a lot of helpful info as well as insults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back