One Million Raspberry Pi PCs Sold

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The good people over at the Raspberry Pi Foundation have earned the right to throw themselves a bit of a party. The sales figures are in from one of their two PC distributors and the estimated sold units for 2012 is sitting right at the one million mark. That’s quite an accomplishment in less than a year.

We detailed the unique manufacturing challenges associate with the Pi with 4,000 Raspberry Pis leaving a U.K. factory every day – or one every 7.5 seconds.

I find it interesting that this is referred to as "PC". To follow conventional thinking: only a Windows based computer is called "PC". We accept this and yet we can't seem to handle the idea of calling a MAC a "PC". This is akin to saying that if I do something...it's wrong, but if you do that very same thing...it's right. I have always said that the particular OS used has nothing to do with wether or not it is a "personal computer". The thing that defines the title of "PC" is all about the hardware (proprietary or not)....NEVER the OS. I have no problem with the Rasberry PI system. My problem is with the inconsistent two-faced lie that makes people think something other than the truth.

As for the Rasberry Pi itself:
It's starting to get my attention. I have a few projects that this might work very well for.

I find it interesting that this is referred to as "PC". To follow conventional thinking: only a Windows based computer is called "PC". We accept this and yet we can't seem to handle the idea of calling a MAC a "PC". This is akin to saying that if I do something...it's wrong, but if you do that very same thing...it's right. I have always said that the particular OS used has nothing to do with wether or not it is a "personal computer". The thing that defines the title of "PC" is all about the hardware (proprietary or not)....NEVER the OS. I have no problem with the Rasberry PI system. My problem is with the inconsistent two-faced lie that makes people think something other than the truth.

As for the Rasberry Pi itself:
It's starting to get my attention. I have a few projects that this might work very well for.

you're reading too much into an apple ad campaign... (i'm a mac, i'm a pc)

even apple calls their computers PCs (ever got a kernel panic on a mac? it sells you to hold down the power button on your PC)

you're reading too much into an apple ad campaign... (i'm a mac, i'm a pc)

even apple calls their computers PCs (ever got a kernel panic on a mac? it sells you to hold down the power button on your PC)

that said a raspberry pi is about as personal a computer as you can get....

And the shocking truth is that 975,000 of them are still in their box unopened or tossed in a drawer after 10 minutes.

I'm reading too much into it?

It seems the whole world is doing that. I'm not the one doing it. I'm saying quite the opposite. Perhaps advertising really does work. It's part of why I have such a big issue with advertising. It's why I could never be a salesman.

And the shocking truth is that 975,000 of them are still in their box unopened or tossed in a drawer after 10 minutes.

All I've doing lately is working on my Raspberry Pi. I got Xbian installed on it and then install LXDE and Chromuim for a web browser. Even installed Gnash for flash video.

The device will be hooked up to a old standard definition TV for someone to watch movies. My HTPC which will hold majority of movies will supply it, plus a video capture card to stream live TV. It'll boot into XBMC but I can close it and type Startx to start a UI.

Just waiting for this remote to finish it. I can leave this running all day long and draw next to nothing in power. For now I'll probably put something like Doom, emulators, and minecraft just to see how it handles it.

that said a raspberry pi is about as personal a computer as you can get....

The term "PC" means a platform running an x86 processor.
Rasberry Pi systems are running ARM processors, making them something other than a "PC", even though it is obviously a personal computer.

Yeah, they're microcomputers!

After I learned how to program it in ASM, I don't use mine anymore. I don't have any good ideas- and the ones I do I can solve with an Arduino/ucontroller than the pi.

The term "PC" means a platform running an x86 processor.
Rasberry Pi systems are running ARM processors, making them something other than a "PC", even though it is obviously a personal computer.

...What? And that definition comes from where, exactly? What if ARM takes over the.... Err... Desktop market? We won't have PCs anymore? Sorry man, but what are you smoking? What if Intel's original x64 architecture took over the desktop market ~12 years ago? Is x86_64 considered PC? :confused:

PC = Personal Computer? I don't think processor architecture has anything to do with a PC being a PC.

I want a Raspberry Pi C64 emulator and load a SD up with roms. Hell do MAME too while you're at it.

Wonder if Raspbian or whatever the Debian for Pi has MAME or C64 emu support.

...What? And that definition comes from where, exactly? What if ARM takes over the.... Err... Desktop market? We won't have PCs anymore? Sorry man, but what are you smoking? What if Intel's original x64 architecture took over the desktop market ~12 years ago? Is x86_64 considered PC? :confused:

PC = Personal Computer? I don't think processor architecture has anything to do with a PC being a PC.

Actually it does, but whatever, there are quite a few other threads on this "definition", so think of it what you will.

PC = any 'personal computer'

"IBM PC" was the branding name of their personal computer to distinguish it from the mainframes and quasi-super computers it was selling at the time. Because of their Ubiquity in the market IBM PC (or IBM Compatible PC) got shortened to just PC.

So PC can mean Personal Computer. Its up to you to figure out if the IBM is silent.

Back