One Lone Dude in Line for the new iPhone 8

it's really kind of disappointing seeing people associate Apple owners to sheep or mentally retarded individuals. It could simply be that's the phone THEY LIKE! My god... My wife likes her Iphone, and likes it far more than the Androids we tried out around the time of the Iphone5. My wife has asked that we have the same phone so that we can communicate easier and the like. (Facetime, etc) We've usually bypassed every other model but are due for either the 8 or X. Am I going to not get the X simply because some rage-nerds on [H] think that someone buying said phone is an idiot? No. I'm going to get the phone because I love my wife and she loves her Iphone. At some point Apple haters will dig their heads out of their asses and realize that it could really just be preference and people decide to buy the newest for the new stuff. My word people, stop with the superiority complexes over Android vs IOS.
Associating them with mentally retarded people? Hell no! They are way to smart to buy the phone!

I think it's cost versus what new stuff you are getting.... Based on the specs I would say it's justified.

it's really kind of disappointing seeing people associate Apple owners to sheep or mentally retarded individuals. It could simply be that's the phone THEY LIKE! My god... My wife likes her Iphone, and likes it far more than the Androids we tried out around the time of the Iphone5. My wife has asked that we have the same phone so that we can communicate easier and the like. (Facetime, etc) We've usually bypassed every other model but are due for either the 8 or X. Am I going to not get the X simply because some rage-nerds on [H] think that someone buying said phone is an idiot? No. I'm going to get the phone because I love my wife and she loves her Iphone. At some point Apple haters will dig their heads out of their asses and realize that it could really just be preference and people decide to buy the newest for the new stuff. My word people, stop with the superiority complexes over Android vs IOS.

Happy wife happy life, not arguing that -- but most us are pondering why people think its remotely ok to drop $1000 on something that is not even a tangible upgrade. I strongly considered an Iphone 6 prior to the LG G5 (same price point) and was shocked to learn that even an LG G3 out specs the Iphone 6 while the LG being older.

HX6wiR0.jpg

Apple fans are already storming one store based on reports of them having early stock.

I'm a fan of the iPhone and I know several Apple fans (and myself) that are not hyped about this one (the X or the 8). And I'd wager the enthusiasm is waning more and more every year. When Jobs died I said give it 10 years and Apple will be back to where they were when he came back the first time around.

Last edited:
Reactions: HAF72
like this
The masses of people not showing up for the iPhone 8 launch is a pretty damn good sign they are all waiting for the iPhone X I think. People are going to buy them. I know people that skipped the 8 to wait for the X. It's crazy but it's going to happen. Samsung and the other manufacturer's can't sit twiddling their thumbs and have their devices "seem" not as great if the price isn't matched with the iPhone X. For you and me and most people on here, we know what we're getting but if someone sees a $1k devices and compares that to a $800 device, they will think the $1k is 'the' premium device to get. Sucks but unfortunately Apple has all the mindshare they need to jack up prices as they wish.

Not really interested in widescreen style bars on everything I open in horizontal mode like this website. Apple didn't design the software side of the Iphone X to function correctly in landscape. People and reviewers are noticing. I think this will hurt sales unless it is corrected.

The masses of people not showing up for the iPhone 8 launch is a pretty damn good sign they are all waiting for the iPhone X I think.

Yeah I think you are right.

People don't stand in line to be the first to have the second tier product. The whole point to these "line around the block" things is to be able to showoff to everyone that you have the latest and greatest shiny object. Not that you have the latest second most expensive shiny object. There's no perceived status in that :p

Hi All

Why would anyone wait on a line to buy a phone. Just order it ONLINE!

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 : ~$950 (for only 64gb internal storage btw)

Rumored pixel 2 high spec price: $950

Iphone 8+ 256gb : $950

Not just apple doing this,

And another reason I will not be buying any of these phones. Maybe in a few years when the price has dropped to less than $500

My wife likes her Iphone, and likes it far more than the Androids we tried out around the time of the Iphone5. My wife has asked that we have the same phone so that we can communicate easier and the like. (Facetime, etc)

As they say, happy wife, happy life :)

However, since I don't allow any apple products in my house, my wife knows better than to ask :p

Yeah, if the food was several dollars cheaper I would probably consider it more often. Maybe it's cheaper in other states...I just remember paying like $7 for a fairly small chicken sandwich at this location.

Nope, that'a about standard across the board I think. Don't get me wrong, the service aspect is where Chick-fil-a wins, hands down. From their dual drive-through systems to the family friendly service inside. Soccer-mom's eat that shit up! My wife and kids love going to Chick-fil-a because they come around to offer refills, swap out their still kids meal item for ice cream, keep the play area a heck of a lot cleaner than McD's or BK, and the chicken isn't half bad. Myself, I just can't get over my college days when they opened in the food court and charged as much for a chicken sandwich as Burger King did for a Whopper right next to them... the original sandwich with bread, chicken, and one pickle slice :p I'll hit up Popeyes or Raising Canes for lunch before I go to Chick-fil-a.

As for waiting in line.. I've never really understood it. I didn't do it on Black Friday before the Internet and Cyber-Monday craze. I couldn't imagine doing it to watch a midnight screening of Star Wars like some people. I'm definitely not going to do it for a phone. Stay up until midnight and order online in my underwear... sure, but camping out in a parking lot for a phone... not a chance.
Yeah, if the food was several dollars cheaper I would probably consider it more often. Maybe it's cheaper in other states...I just remember paying like $7 for a fairly small chicken sandwich at this location.

Nope, that'a about standard across the board I think. Don't get me wrong, the service aspect is where Chick-fil-a wins, hands down. From their dual drive-through systems to the family friendly service inside. Soccer-mom's eat that shit up! My wife and kids love going to Chick-fil-a because they come around to offer refills, swap out their still kids meal item for ice cream, keep the play area a heck of a lot cleaner than McD's or BK, and the chicken isn't half bad. Myself, I just can't get over my college days when they opened in the food court and charged as much for a chicken sandwich as Burger King did for a Whopper right next to them... the original sandwich with bread, chicken, and one pickle slice :p I'll hit up Popeyes or Raising Canes for lunch before I go to Chick-fil-a.

As for waiting in line.. I've never really understood it. I didn't do it on Black Friday before the Internet and Cyber-Monday craze. I couldn't imagine doing it to watch a midnight screening of Star Wars like some people. I'm definitely not going to do it for a phone. Stay up until midnight and order online in my underwear... sure, but camping out in a parking lot for a phone... not a chance.

You guys are paying twice the menu price for Chik-Fil-A. Holy shit. I'll make you deal. PM me your addresses and i ship you all you want for only a 50% premium!

There's no need to be upset bro.

Happy wife happy life, not arguing that -- but most us are pondering why people think its remotely ok to drop $1000 on something that is not even a tangible upgrade. I strongly considered an Iphone 6 prior to the LG G5 (same price point) and was shocked to learn that even an LG G3 out specs the Iphone 6 while the LG being older.

Much like high-end computer parts, no high-end phone hits anything remotely close to "value". People think it is "ok" to spend $1000 on a phone because they want it. You're on a forum where people can spend well over that for a CPU or GPU, where people spend multiple thousands of dollars to eek out a couple extra fps in video games. People like what they like and some of them are willing to spend the money for it. Its a free market, adults are allowed to buy whatever the hell they want and don't need to justify it anyone but themselves or their significant others.

Here's where I think smartphones, even expensive ones, are a "value" to many people, and those people are far from the demographic that knows and reads [H], much less dives into the forums.

To many people, their smartphone is their only and primary device for the following use cases: general computing, internet browsing, media consumption, photography, videography, and communication. As many of us know, there's been a general expansion of mobile device usage, and overall contraction for the majority of the PC market (specialized gaming non withstanding).

Who buys point and shoot cameras anymore? Who buys camcorders anymore? Who buys dedicated music players anymore? Who has a house phone anymore?

So the smartphone is, for many, the most important digital device they own. I don't see anything wrong or stupid for somebody to want an aspirational product in that regard. Whether its the iPhone X, Pixel 2, V30, Note 8 -- People will find their value points to where they see the most benefit to them.

Sometimes we buy clothes, shoes, cars, or any other thing that sometimes isn't just the bare necessity. Hell, here at [H] there are many who have multi GTX 1080ti rigs on Intel HEDT platforms, cooled with custom loops. In some cases, these things have merit to their price increases; but more often than not, they don't.

Why make fun an iPhone X buyer for something many [H]'ers do?

I can see where the iPhone X can be a 'tremendous value' to somebody based off the merits of having a (currently) best in class camera [speaking of camera, I don't know of another smartphone that captures 4K60], a (seemingly) working facial biometric authenticator, the absolute best mobile CPU/GPU, and a fantastic screen, along with the UI/UX that a user is familiar with. Is it necessary? Absolutely not. Can it provide a tangible or emotional value to someone? Of course.

Specifically with the iPhone X, I think Apple is stuck in a tough position on this model. They don't manufacture NAND, RAM, nor OLED. Their supply chain is constrained, and thus have to pay higher prices than the manufacturer of these parts, in this case, primarily Samsung. So while Samsung at many times can pass that value of their supply chain off to consumers, Apple's higher BOM from sourced raw materials also gets passed to consumers. Now while I think that situation gets sorted out in years to come, Apple will likely make those features a mainstream model and find some other way to make a premium or aspirational model that again costs a lot more.

Furthermore, yes, we all know about sheep. They exist in both camps. While I'd argue the Android 'sheep' have been the loudest and most boisterous of the lot over the past few years, that's really an irrelevant topic here, and completely low hanging fruit that doesn't add any value to the conversation.

Release a brand new model...and then make it an inferior model...and this is what happens. 8 & 8S are only going to be sold in the workplace where companies don't bother with the extravagant option of the X. No individual who is willing to spend $800 on a brand new phone is not going to spend $1000 on the better version.

Its not about Android vs IOS. Its about Apple sticking it to its customers and offing something "new" with less features than previous generations at a higher price. Its been their moto for years now, just like all those Macbooks they sell with antiquated technology in them that they sell for premium prices. You're not paying for what's inside of their products, you're paying for that logo. You gotta give Apple credit though, they are damn good at marketing.

Apple's higher BOM from sourced raw materials also gets passed to consumers. Now while I think that situation gets sorted out in years to come, Apple will likely make those features a mainstream model and find some other way to make a premium or aspirational model that again costs a lot more.

and maybe even without the 400% profit for device at the expense of people suicides at foxconn, right? :p

and maybe even without the 400% profit for device at the expense of people suicides at foxconn, right? :p

Right, because no company should ever profit from their products.

The suicide issue seems like an industry-wide problem, not an isolated Apple-centric issue. They get the press for it, so they're obviously guilty by association, but so is most of the industry.

I guess the solution would be to be 100% made in the USA? All parts, raw materials, and labor? Then we can pay $3000 for the device instead.

There's really not a great solution to the low cost labor/cost of product situation for any manufactured good worldwide.

There's really not a great solution to the low cost labor/cost of product situation for any manufactured good worldwide.

And that's a shame. I guess we will continue to suck on the Asian tit for the forseeable future.

I finally tried Chick-fil-a not too long ago...not sure what the hype was about, the chicken itself is pretty good but the price for what you get was not worth it IMO. In addition to waiting in a fairly long drive-thru line.

It is more about the experience as a whole than the food only. The chicken is fairly good, the service by "Fast food standards" is extremely good, the lemonade is excellent and they aren't sauce nazi's like so many other chicken places or fast food in general. Want more honey or whatever your condiment of choice? NP here is a handful. Combine that with they actively invest in hiring employees who "Want to work" and it isn't hard to see what drives people there. I don't agree with everything they do as a company (see the whole gay fiasco a few years back), but in general they treat their employees with respect and customer service for this industry is second to none. Personally I'll pay a bit more to not have to put up with the typical mouth breathing idiot hired by the other places. Also I seriously enjoy their spicy chicken filet for breakfast.

My word people, stop with the superiority complexes over Android vs IOS.

No, no, just no, you're getting it wrong. It's not a complaint against iOS, it has nothing to do with Android at all - it's an observation towards Apple itself and the Cult(ure) of Mac and their quite painfully obvious attitude of superiority over pretty much everything made by anybody for any purpose as long as it's not an Apple product or service.

Once you grasp that aspect and perspective on the situation at large it becomes a bit easier to tolerate. Not only that, but Apple bashing is almost a science in some respects, a "dark art" one could say, and I've been practicing it myself since about 1977. :D

From an investment point of view, AAPL might suffer from the lack of demand for the iPhone 8. Sure, the iPhone X has better profit margins but they are going to have a hard to cranking these out in the same numbers as the 8's. The people I know upgrading are all going for the X. Hmm...

From an investment point of view, AAPL might suffer from the lack of demand for the iPhone 8. Sure, the iPhone X has better profit margins but they are going to have a hard to cranking these out in the same numbers as the 8's. The people I know upgrading are all going for the X. Hmm...

Sounds like it might be a great opportunity for scalping.

New MyTouch 4G -- $70 on eBay. Screw paying $900 for a stupid iPhone or ANY phone. Get the one on eBay and spend $830 on hookers and blow. I still used a RAZR v3 as my daily phone right up into 2015. If I want to do something meaningful, I have two Android tablets, Surface Pro 4, and a Panasonic Lumix G85 for pictures.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Right, because no company should ever profit from their products.

The suicide issue seems like an industry-wide problem, not an isolated Apple-centric issue. They get the press for it, so they're obviously guilty by association, but so is most of the industry.

I guess the solution would be to be 100% made in the USA? All parts, raw materials, and labor? Then we can pay $3000 for the device instead.

lol, i guess this is one way to twist that issue

Apple has for years continually opened up more phones available for online order making the store waiting pretty useless. I ordered my 6S+ online for my carrier, picked it up in the store and walked away. Spent maybe 10minutes there, versus walking into a cell store to buy a non-iPhone and having to sit through a sales speech.

Apple has for years continually opened up more phones available for online order making the store waiting pretty useless. I ordered my 6S+ online for my carrier, picked it up in the store and walked away. Spent maybe 10minutes there, versus walking into a cell store to buy a non-iPhone and having to sit through a sales speech.

I've never bought a cell phone at a store, or had to sit through a sales speech.
Just bought them on-line. They either came already activated, or the cell provider sent me a sim card when I signed up for service.

Yep, however Samsung offers deep discounts on occasion apparently.
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre.../samsung-galaxy-s8-buy-one-get-one-free-offer
Not so sure about apple.
But yeah , it sucks flagship phones are going up in price.
Google is setting up trade in, and saw a discount on the x4, so they are doing some games with prices... I wished they all cut the bullshit and just price it right i guess.

Brands offer deep discounts when they HAVE to, not because they're being super nice awesome dudes doing you a solid. They're there to make money. Apple happens to be a brand that typically doesn't have to go on sale because they command that kind of loyalty from their customers.

I'd say the biggest factor being that iPhone X being released so shortly after.

Any sane person would wait for iPhone X and then decide whether they want iPhone 8 or not. It's not like iP8 will simply disappear after they release the X...

I'd say the biggest factor being that iPhone X being released so shortly after.

Any sane person would wait for iPhone X and then decide whether they want iPhone 8 or not. It's not like iP8 will simply disappear after they release the X...
You make perfect sense. Apple will make 8's and X's as long as people are buying them. We have until next September before the iPhone Next comes out (whatever it will be called). Until then, take your time, read reviews, try out the early adopters devices.

I know this is a hardware forum, but i do not understand the appeal of a $1000 phone, an $800 phone, or even a $600 phone etc. I bought my unlocked LG G5 brand new for $199 and it replaced a Motorola Pure X that was easily getting the job done until my wife dropped it on cement. Frankly since the galaxy S5 or so i have not been seeing any new "must have features" Based on the hype I might bought an X for $399, but $229 is the most i have ever spent on a brand new phone ( though i always get a previous year mid tier or flagship device )

What are people doing with these phones that i cannot do with a snapdragon 820 equipped phone? I feel like i must be missing something.

^^ Pretty much this. ^^

I think today you are just fine with a Snapdragon 435 or 625 phone with like 2-4GB of RAM, they cost about what? 150-300 bucks from lower to higher-end spectrum of the "cheap phone" range? More then enough for you average needs of scrolling trough your FB feed on the toilet....

I saw an article about how Samsung makes the OLED Apple is using in the X and they are sticking it to Apple on price. The OLED costs $25 more than the normal screen they would use. Therefore Apple had to raise the price of the X $150 to compensate :)

LOL!
Every time someone is looking for appreciation because of some new trinket phone they proudly have, I ask if they can finally cook eggs yet.

sv_notimpressed 1

Wasn't that option offered on the Note 7?

LOL! Totally forgot about that one.
>therewasanattempt.jpg
I think they need to get the thermals a little more controllable first.

Lol at Samsung screwing them on OLEDs which will all get burn in soon.

I saw an article about how Samsung makes the OLED Apple is using in the X and they are sticking it to Apple on price. The OLED costs $25 more than the normal screen they would use. Therefore Apple had to raise the price of the X $150 to compensate :)

Well, you know Apple is also starting patent wars with Qualcomm, and they are fucking around the play ground, so I am sure someone at Samsung realizes the war chest needs to grow.
Risky move by Apple, I wonder if a win against Qualcomm, maybe that will set the precedent for Apple's future loss.
So yeah, if I was Samsung, I would fuck'em at every corner while I can, its not like Apple would show any loyalty at any moment no matter what. Apple fucked that little video company, and they were tiny.. Apple still fucked them.
Apple is buying from Samsung, not a matter of choice.

BTW:
The little company Apple screwed over video chips got picked up by a Chinese equity firm
Looks like Chinese devices will get better video chips soon:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...hnologies-agrees-to-takeover-by-canyon-bridge

Last edited:

Besides, Windows 10 Mobile is a far superior experience to either iOS or Android anyways. :) :D (Yeah, I know, it is dead but that did not mean it was not a better experience.)

Besides, Windows 10 Mobile is a far superior experience to either iOS or Android anyways. :) :D (Yeah, I know, it is dead but that did not mean it was not a better experience.)
If it was better it wouldn't be dead?
I would rather use Android.

That'll do it. I remember Korea back in '91. The one McDonalds off-post in Seoul. The price in Won was the equivalent of $1.50 for a hamburger. $1.75 for a cheeseburger.

I walked in, calculated the price and went "NOPE!" and walked out.

Made it nearly all year without Mickey D's (on post we had the BK Lounge). Then had a Mac Attack one night during a pub crawl...

Back