One Hour DOOM Single Player Video

Anyone else annoyed by the glowing stuff on the screen? Why do enemies start glowing when you shoot at them. Are you serious? This better be configurable. I would turn that off after the first thing turned semi transparent on me.
I take it you haven't heard/watched any of the pre-release talks and such?

The blue / orange glow signals that you can do a melee 'finisher' on the enemy (which is a gory kill move that makes them drop more ammo, health, etc. than normally would).

Yes it can be disabled (according to what's been said, at least).

Anyone else annoyed by the glowing stuff on the screen? Why do enemies start glowing when you shoot at them. Are you serious? This better be configurable. I would turn that off after the first thing turned semi transparent on me.
They said plainly that it's configurable... might even be when it first happened but I can't remember.

I can understand liking this, but the game play is so basic. I feel rocket jumping multi-player kiddies in our near future. I'll pass. While these type of games are a fun arcade shooter, they definitely are NOT anywhere near the quality of a Bio-Shock

That's what I was thinking. Do we really need a serious sam Doom?

Well, that was a stupid comment.

Have you ever actually played Doom? Serious Sam is a straight up Doom clone, without Doom 1 and 2 there would be no Serious Sam.

Without both Doom and Serious Sam I would have no fond memories of great shooter games that were fun to play.

they really should have just made it Doom + Serious Sam style game play.

really doesn't look that good to me. AND can't stand watching FPS games played on a console.

He explained why and said you can turn it off too. Pay attention during class.

I take it you never played the original DOOM. You are a space marine on mars, and you are fighting Demons. That's it. That's the entire story. Zero fucks were given by the endless stream of people that purchased it and made it one the most notable video games in history.

If you want an FPS with a story, play HALO. You will get a heart warming story about the lone hero and his female partner that help save a galaxy.

If you want to face rape demons with a weapon simply named the "Big Fucking Gun" with zero regard to the how or why, then you play DOOM.

Doom was never about the substance, it was about the style.

EXACTLY!!! I REALLY do not get all of the complaints from people. This looks EXACTLY like a Doom game. It's spot-fucking-on. If you don't think so, you never played Doom. Multiplayer is different. It's been brought into the modern age for better or worse, but it's definitely serviceable in the scheme of Doom multiplayer. Do people not remember the original? It was 4 player deathmatch. Pure and simple.

Anyone that wants something other than an id game should look elsewhere. It's precisely as you describe. I've already bought multiple keys to give to friends. :cool:

I was already excited for Doom and after watching the single-player game play stream I am now more excited. It reminds me of classic Doom with fast paced run and gun game play. No taking cover, no regenerating health, and no manual reloading.The over the top gore and executions look fun as well. There are also secrets to be found in the levels which is nice.

consolitis

and looks dumb
It does appear they are marketing this toward the console kiddies. Some of these game developers act like PC gaming doesn't exist. Still, it looks like a fun 13 hour romp but not $60 worth.

They tell you why in the video.

And without Wolfenstien there would be no Doom
point is, this game is not like SS where you just fight off waves of enemies to advanced to the next area. Thats all you do in SS, not saying its bad but this doom is nothing like that.

I never played the original Doom, but you have to give it context. It was revolutionary for its time. However, people's standards have been raised since the early 90s. What worked and what was marvelous then isn't the same as it is now. But as long as the game is good/fun overall that is all that matters. Another poster mentioned Borderlands, a decent game series with a not so good plot. The question remains if Doom is good in the other areas.

So basically you have no idea what you're talking about. Don't try to tell us about the context or how revolutionary the original was if you never played it, or what people's standards were in the early 90's. I don't know if you actually played games from the early 90's(during the early 90's), but there were tons of other games out there that provided a good story driven experience. Not every game needed it then, and not every game needs it today. Honestly, most FPS games these days that aren't exclusively SP seem to have lame cookie cutter storylines that simply get in the way with exposition dumps or restricting player exploration to fit a particular narrative(CoD and BF games both do this, and their SP campaigns suck).

point is, this game is not like SS where you just fight off waves of enemies to advanced to the next area. Thats all you do in SS, not saying its bad but this doom is nothing like that.

Which is a good thing if you ask me. Serious Sam bored me after a little while. It wasn't bad, but it didn't have the level design of id. The game play of an id game is simple, but the design is not.

So basically you have no idea what you're talking about. Don't try to tell us about the context or how revolutionary the original was if you never played it, or what people's standards were in the early 90's. I don't know if you actually played games from the early 90's(during the early 90's), but there were tons of other games out there that provided a good story driven experience. Not every game needed it then, and not every game needs it today. Honestly, most FPS games these days that aren't exclusively SP seem to have lame cookie cutter storylines that simply get in the way with exposition dumps or restricting player exploration to fit a particular narrative(CoD and BF games both do this, and their SP campaigns suck).
I will say bad company 2 had a pretty good sp story, but i also feel like that was the last good Battlefield game. Everything after BF:BC2 has been a Michael bay shitfest.

FPS is a big genre and there is room for lots of different games in that tent. There are the combat shooters (CoD, BF), multiple player shooters (UT, Quake, CS), Action shooters (SS, Doom, Painkiller), Horror Shooters (FEAR, Undying), Open World Shooters (Farcry), and story based shooters (Bioshock, Wolfenstein, HL). There is of course room in between those and games that span categories. Heck, even Plants vs Zombies got turned into a shooter for one version. Ultimately there is no single formula for a shooter that will make everyone happy. The Doom formula has always been about action and graphics. If they can deliver on that, then they will have met a large portion of their audiences expectations.

Which is a good thing if you ask me. Serious Sam bored me after a little while. It wasn't bad, but it didn't have the level design of id. The game play of an id game is simple, but the design is not.

Agreed, SS was always a poor man's Doom that tried to replace good level design with humor and amount of enemies on screen and I think it failed quite spectacularly in the fun department.

I can't figure out if Nukester is trolling or if he's just having trouble understanding the conversation and the reason why his original post is so off the mark.

I will say bad company 2 had a pretty good sp story, but i also feel like that was the last good Battlefield game. Everything after BF:BC2 has been a Michael bay shitfest.
Sure, but I was referring more to the recent games from the past few years(BC2 is actually 6 years old now, amazing how time seems to fly regarding some things).

This SS discussion... lol, what? SS was a cheap game that you had fun playing for a couple hours and that's it. 3 games of giant open levels and wave upon wave of enemies where the best strategy is to simply run backwards while shooting. That's nothing like Doom at all. I seriously wonder how many of the people complaining about the lack of oscar-worthy story or making these utterly silly comparisons actually played games like Doom and Wolfenstein when they were new, while trying to tell us about how gaming "was".

Sure, but I was referring more to the recent games from the past few years(BC2 is actually 6 years old now, amazing how time seems to fly regarding some things).

This SS discussion... lol, what? SS was a cheap game that you had fun playing for a couple hours and that's it. 3 games of giant open levels and wave upon wave of enemies where the best strategy is to simply run backwards while shooting. That's nothing like Doom at all. I seriously wonder how many of the people complaining about the lack of oscar-worthy story or making these utterly silly comparisons actually played games like Doom and Wolfenstein when they were new, while trying to tell us about how gaming "was".

Kinda wondering that too. I've been playing since I was 3 years old (Bally Astrocade, Atari 2600, C64. Something something... lawn... something... :D ) I remember every milestone in gaming very vividly. I remember my friend handing me a 3.5" floppy in around 8th/9th grade saying here. It's Wolfenstein.

My response? "Like the C64 one?" He grinned, and told me to just try it. I had played Commander Keen, so I knew who id and Apogee were, but had no clue about Wolfenstein until I popped it in my 286 16MHz with 4 MB RAM. :D (and Soundblaster 1.5...) Holy Fuck!!!! I was glued to that game. Also "magically" got my hands on the alpha of Doom some years later. (quite a bit different than what it turned out like, but so cool!!) I still feel the pain in my chin as it hit the floor. :eek:

All that aside though, it's just plain funny or sad (or both...) how many people are saying that this is nothing like Doom. It appears to be a very precise mixture of the original two, Doom 3, and an updated MP portion. There's nothing about this that doesn't scream Doom. I'm not sure what people want it to be, but I think id ABSOLUTELY NAILED what it SHOULD BE. (granted, without playing the full version of MP, I have a feeling they could have made more classic options available for game styles. Who knows though, maybe they did... Nobody knows yet...) I mean, nobody knew about the PC oriented graphics options either until a couple of days ago.

I really couldn't be more excited (until maybe System Shock 3 is near completion... ...and maybe a new Quake game :p )

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda wondering that too. I've been playing since I was 3 years old (Bally Astrocade, Atari 2600, C64. Something something... lawn... something... :D ) I remember every milestone in gaming very vividly. I remember my friend handing me a 3.5" floppy in around 8th/9th grade saying here. It's Wolfenstein.

My response? "Like the C64 one?" He grinned, and told me to just try it. I had played Commander Keen, so I knew who id and Apogee were, but had no clue about Wolfenstein until I popped it in my 286 16MHz with 4 MB RAM. :D (and Soundblaster 1.5...) Holy Fuck!!!! I was glued to that game. Also "magically" got my hands on the alpha of Doom some years later. (quite a bit different than what it turned out like, but so cool!!) I still feel the pain in my chin as it hit the floor. :eek:

All that aside though, it's just plain funny or sad (or both...) how many people are saying that this is nothing like Doom. It appears to be a very precise mixture of the original two, Doom 3, and an updated MP portion. There's nothing about this that doesn't scream Doom. I'm not sure what people want it to be, but I think id ABSOLUTELY NAILED what it SHOULD BE. (granted, without playing the full version of MP, I have a feeling they could have made more classic options available for game styles. Who knows though, maybe they did... Nobody knows yet...) I mean, nobody knew about the PC oriented graphics options either until a couple of days ago.

I really couldn't be more excited (until maybe System Shock 3 is near completion... ...and maybe a new Quake game :p )

It's funny you mention the MP, from the beta the only problem I really had with it(I'm talking about gameplay, not graphics and settings) was the silly demon powerup(which can hopefully just be turned off, I doubt it, but I have hope) and the laughable air movement with people trying to compare it to UT(apparently some folks never got very good at air movement in UT, to be able to say Doom's is similar). I actually didn't mind the loadouts since all it really meant was that you had a gun that was worth a damn when you spawned in rather than just getting raped if you were on the wrong end of a match over map control(like quake 3) with no chance to do anything(the leveling up and unlocking guns is a different thing that I don't like. The cosmetic unlocks are fine, but the guns too? ffs). It's actually good that the MP is more similar to quake, since as mentioned, it's not like Doom's 4 player deathmatch alone would have any longevity these days.

It's funny you mention the MP, from the beta the only problem I really had with it(I'm talking about gameplay, not graphics and settings) was the silly demon powerup(which can hopefully just be turned off, I doubt it, but I have hope) and the laughable air movement with people trying to compare it to UT(apparently some folks never got very good at air movement in UT, to be able to say Doom's is similar). I actually didn't mind the loadouts since all it really meant was that you had a gun that was worth a damn when you spawned in rather than just getting raped if you were on the wrong end of a match over map control(like quake 3) with no chance to do anything(the leveling up and unlocking guns is a different thing that I don't like. The cosmetic unlocks are fine, but the guns too? ffs). It's actually good that the MP is more similar to quake, since as mentioned, it's not like Doom's 4 player deathmatch alone would have any longevity these days.

My thoughts were similar, except what I'd do with the loadout situation is make it an optional mode. If that could be chosen, or floor pickups at the beginning of the match/game, it would cater to everyone. As it is though, I don't see it as a horrible thing. Just not to everyone's tastes obviously. Otherwise I didn't think the MP was too bad, and actually pretty decent really. I'm just hoping they spring a bunch of customization on us like they did with the graphics options. (might be a bit optimistic, but I won't be very disappointed either way) I only see myself playing the MP once in a while.

My thoughts were similar, except what I'd do with the loadout situation is make it an optional mode. If that could be chosen, or floor pickups at the beginning of the match/game, it would cater to everyone. As it is though, I don't see it as a horrible thing. Just not to everyone's tastes obviously. Otherwise I didn't think the MP was too bad, and actually pretty decent really. I'm just hoping they spring a bunch of customization on us like they did with the graphics options. (might be a bit optimistic, but I won't be very disappointed either way) I only see myself playing the MP once in a while.
Yeah, I said I have hope with the MP options... but not much since it seems like they want to go with the console lobby/matchmaking system garbage which pretty much eliminates much hope in the way of custom game modes. A classic floor pickup option would be good as well though.

As far as springing options on us... I think your thoughts on the publisher listing the available graphics config(which is different than a proper server browser, filters, custom server support, etc.) is a little more positive than mine. Personally I saw it as a "look, we swear we'll have graphics options! Please don't hate us!" as listing available graphics settings isn't something gamers should ever be looking forward to, rather it was a matter of appeasement due to how console-centric everything was looking. It's a sad state of gaming when people need to be re-assured that vsync toggles, AA settings, and such will be in a menu.

Yeah, I said I have hope with the MP options... but not much since it seems like they want to go with the console lobby/matchmaking system garbage which pretty much eliminates much hope in the way of custom game modes. A classic floor pickup option would be good as well though.

As far as springing options on us... I think your thoughts on the publisher listing the available graphics config(which is different than a proper server browser, filters, custom server support, etc.) is a little more positive than mine. Personally I saw it as a "look, we swear we'll have graphics options! Please don't hate us!" as listing available graphics settings isn't something gamers should ever be looking forward to, rather it was a matter of appeasement due to how console-centric everything was looking. It's a sad state of gaming when people need to be re-assured that vsync toggles, AA settings, and such will be in a menu.

I can see that, and you're probably right. I kind of see it both ways. I think they needed to do it either way though because people were just spewing hate right off the bat during that test weekend. It was a multiplayer mechanics test, not a compatibility-lab run.

All of that stuff should definitely be in the game, and expected to be by players, but I can see why they felt they should release the statement.

Did you check out SnapMap? Seems to be the answer to any MP complaint, or at least I hope so:

I can't say I'm very excited for this. It reminds me of Doom3 And that's not very good, the lighting and material style is too plastic like. Not gritty and gory like I'd expect from Doom. The original two captured that earthy underground hellish look perfectly. While the environments here look more like hi-tech laboratories all the time. It just looks like a generic shooter to me, and doesn't invoke that "Doom" feeling in me at all.
And my another concern is that there seem to be very little hit feedback, it's like your bullets doesn't hit the demons themselves, but their bounding box, and it feels very artificial. In the original doom you felt that your shots especially with the shotgun really penetrated the ass out of the monsters, and it really felt you're tearing at flesh. Here they might as well be metallic robots. It seems to me as if bullets just richochet off them without any deep tissue gore. And that gives the fighting a very disconnected and artificial feeling. The blood spatter doesn't feel like it's actually coming from them, but as if it appears from thin air. I want to feel my bullets tearing trough flesh, and I want the blood and gore coming out of the back of their heads.

I realized what's also missing is the pain cries of the demons, here the shot just gives a basic sound and no moans and nothing of the sort. That further enhanches the detached nature of the action.

Agreed, SS was always a poor man's Doom that tried to replace good level design with humor and amount of enemies on screen and I think it failed quite spectacularly in the fun department.

I can't figure out if Nukester is trolling or if he's just having trouble understanding the conversation and the reason why his original post is so off the mark.

seriously? Sam first and second encounter are fantastic games. 3 wasn't so much and 2.....well 2 was bad.

Did you check out SnapMap? Seems to be the answer to any MP complaint, or at least I hope so:
Yeah, I've seen it. Looks promising for a map editor, but depending on the in-game options for actually hosting and joining games it could turn out to be pointless a couple months after launch if the community falls apart(seems to happen frequently enough in PC shooters that getting a season pass or buying DLC is a waste).

I didn't actually see that! Yeah, that pretty much resolves most of the things people are complaining about. Just watched them drop in a weapon. Instant floor pickup. Pretty cool. I read this mentioned here or there, but totally spaced actually looking it up or finding a video. Thanks for posting that! What that tells me is that there is potential that MP isn't restricted to loadouts.

There is still the whole hosting/serving/browsing thing though.

The original two captured that earthy underground hellish look perfectly. While the environments here look more like hi-tech laboratories all the time. It just looks like a generic shooter to me, and doesn't invoke that "Doom" feeling in me at all.
Well to be fair, they are on mars in a high tech facility that opens a portal to hell, so most of the areas are going to look like a high tech facility. But i do beleive that there are parts where you actually goto hell, so that will be pretty cool to see.

Back