One fps to rule them all?

Disposed

Supreme [H]ardness
If you had to buy one current fps what would it be? Not a huge fps player but wasn't one current one.

Leaning towards bf1 or overwatch just can't decide especially considering how different they are.

Depends on what you want. If you want a solid, classic SP experience...Doom.

Titanfall 2 has a great SP experience and the MP is fairly decent.

For MP only...not sure I would go with Overwatch as I'm pretty sure the casual experience for that is not great. BF1 is probably a decent choice.

SP experience...Doom. The "Arcade Mode" they added a couple months ago is a welcome addition to the regular Campaign.

I'm currently going through Titanfall 2 single player campaign and I'm having a blast. Haven't tried multiplayer yet, but I loved Titanfall 1 and played the hell out of it. I have Battlefield 1 but haven't gotten around to that either. You can't go wrong with Overwatch if you're into cartoony shooters, but right now, my go to game is Rainbow 6 Siege. It has a learning curve since it's more of a thinking mans shooter rather than a mindless run and gun, but the game gets your heart racing in tense situations.

Doom and Titanfall 2 SP.

BF1, Titanfall 2, Overwatch for MP.

If you need to play catch up: The two Wolfenstein games that came out in the last handful of years for SP.

Cautious recommend also on RB6: Siege if you're in the mood and know what you're in for there. I need to revisit it myself. I sorely wish this has a solid SP campaign on it. That's the only thing missing.

What do you normally play? All the FPS' I'd recommend have already been listed, but if you're into slower story driven games, then 3rd person might suite you better. Dishonored 2, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, and (especially) Witcher 3 are all excellent games.

I have never been what anyone would call good at fps. I always enjoyed a good sp campaign. Never could get into a cod game since like cod 2. I have always kept up on the bf series since 3 but have not bought one in years.

The bf series was always fun even though I mostly sucked. I always got the impression if I put more effort into getting good I would really have a blast.

Now that I finally bit the bullet and bought a 144hz panel and gtx 1080 I was curious to give bf a shot and see how I fared.

I did however play tons of tf2 up until it went free and sad fairly decent at it and overwatch looks to be live a spiritual successor to that.

I completely forgot about doom. I'm going to buy that tomorrow either way so I'd revise the initial question to,

What mp fps to go with doom? Still back and forth between bf1 and overwatch.

Overwatch got me back into video games. I never play competitive, just quick play and I'm having a blast. For a multiplayer experience, I can't recommend it enough.

For single player

Wolfenstein new order is fantastic.

Perhaps the best FPS game I've ever played.

I liked the new doom too, but wolfenstein new order is quite a bit better. There's no real story in doom - it's just super good, well tuned, smooth gameplay.

I'm not into MP at all, but have joined a few sessions of Battlefield 1 with some buddies. I thought it was surprisingly good. Might have a lot to do with my limited experience in MP games, of course.

Well, if all you care about is a good experience and single player game play, get Doom.

If you want longevity and multiplayer, get R6 Siege. It's the only online FPS right now that has truly deep game mechanics beyond just shooting things. It has a great player base, much less toxic commubity than Overwatch, and Ubisoft is supporting it extremely well.

Let's just say I have 270 hours played in Siege, and I haven't put that much time into a FPS since Counter-Strike was still in beta.

I may be in the minority but, Far Cry 4 is pretty awesome.

Went ahead and decided on BF1.

I still want overwatch but i remembered the wow tokens are going to be usable for B.net cash soon and i have 6 tokens just sitting.

I enjoyed the hell out of both Far Cry 3 and 4. They're some of the few games I completed every single side mission for.
Doom's fun, but I found the game to be very monotonous toward the end. Same enemies in the same order in the same time of open room over and over.

It's a couple years old, but what about Borderlands 2? It's still fairly current and it looks good with the details jacked at high resolution. I've been playing a lot of Destiny lately and it wishes it could be Borderlands.

I enjoyed the hell out of both Far Cry 3 and 4. They're some of the few games I completed every single side mission for.
Doom's fun, but I found the game to be very monotonous toward the end. Same enemies in the same order in the same time of open room over and over.

It's a couple years old, but what about Borderlands 2? It's still fairly current and it looks good with the details jacked at high resolution. I've been playing a lot of Destiny lately and it wishes it could be Borderlands.

I have tried very hard to get into borderlands but the whole loot grind, Class based FPS/MMO just never did it for me. I would get super bored in no time.

If you had to buy one current fps what would it be? Not a huge fps player but wasn't one current one.

Leaning towards bf1 or overwatch just can't decide especially considering how different they are.

FEAR_DVD_box_art.jpg

FEAR is an all-time great and maybe my favorite single-player FPS of all time. Unfortunately it's really, really dated looking these days.

While not the same type of game, you can crank the difficulty and go 100% lethal in Deus Ex Human Revolution to have a little bit of a FEAR-like experience.

Another vote for Wolfenstein TNO.

It's a couple of years old at this point, but still looks fantastic and the single player is completely awesome. If nothing else, add it to your wishlist and buy it next time there's a sale.

Also, buy OW when you have a chance, it's just so varied, it's worth every penny.

Overwatch is excellent for casual online FPS. You don’t have to be a headshot expect to help your team. Be a wall, heal your teammates or just spread chaos. You may even get MVP for the match and not even have the most kills.

No unlocks other than skins so everyone is on equal playing ground. You can’t even join a competitive match until you reach level 25. Not that it is hard but the game makes sure you have some basic understanding before hitting the competitive scene. Assuming you even want to.

They have events around the holidays that keep me coming back for more. Already talking of a Valentine’s Day event. Plus all future heroes/maps are free.

Siege is a solid choice if you have a friends to play with. The only complain I have about it that it is so scary that I feel like working while playing it :)

I've actually enjoyed Paladins quite a bit, but I'm still holding out for Quake Champions

BF1 - spam fest with very little skill or team work.....

TF2 (the ORIGINAL, team fortress 2)

For story driven campaigns? Far Cry 3, way better than 4/Primal. Also the Metro Redux games, still are absolutely gorgeous and a total blast.

For multiplayer, yeah, have to side with med1kl on this one, CS:GO. Even BF1 is pretty casual unless you can manage to have a full squad of friends and you take roles and communicate well.

Forget all this CS:GO and Doom garbage. Besides the Borderlands 2 recommendation, go with Insurgency. It's like maybe $15 and also has steam workshop support. Literally one of the best FPS games done in a long time. Or alternatively, go with the slightly newer one by the same devs (NWI) named Day of Infamy.

Forget all this CS:GO and Doom garbage. Besides the Borderlands 2 recommendation, go with Insurgency. It's like maybe $15 and also has steam workshop support. Literally one of the best FPS games done in a long time. Or alternatively, go with the slightly newer one by the same devs (NWI) named Day of Infamy.

Im sure they are great games but not at all what im looking for. Didn't spend $1400 on a GPU and monitor to play games that look straight out of 2001.

Well since I play games for the graphics then it would be Deus Ex MD. Although BF1 looks great but have to choose one.

----------------------------
i7 6700 3.4ghz || Titan XP || Win 10 Home || ASRock H110M-DGS || DDR4-2133 Crucial 16gb || Toshiba HD 1tb || Cooler Master 750W || Onboard Sound
27” Samsung Lcd 1440 res

Back