One day post-launch, the developers of Switch emulator Yuzu announce that Tears of the Kingdom is playable 'full speed on most hardware' with 'no hack

erek

[H]F Junkie
Nice

“All of that unpleasantness aside, you can now legally dump your own copy of Tears of the Kingdom to play on PC with equal or greater performance to the original Switch on a wide range of hardware⁠—on r/pcgaming(opens in new tab), I'm seeing users report rock-solid framerates beyond 1080p resolution on 30-series graphics cards. The other major Switch emulation project, Ryujinx, looks to be roughly on par with Yuzu—this video from YouTuber KyoKat(opens in new tab) shows TotK running at a fairly solid 1440p 30fps on the positively ancient GTX 1060 mid-range GPU. Meanwhile, I'm probably going to stick to playing it on my dinky, 2017, OG Switch⁠—resolution be damned, I just love the form factor.”

1684147028828.png

Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/one-day-pos...-speed-on-most-hardware-with-no-hacks-needed/

Yuzu worked perfectly for me for mario oddysey. 1080 or 1440 @ 60 no problem. I was on the htpc, which is amd 5700x/16gb/1080ti

Reactions: erek
like this
I may have to try this when (if) I give it a playthrough. My girlfriend is playing it on the Switch right now and it looks good, for a Switch game, but the Switch shows its limitations for sure. For me one of the more noticeable things in that video is just the anisotropic filtering. Made the textures so much nicer. Given that plus higher res plus higher FPS would be real nice.

Yuzu crashes constantly for me after about 10-15 mins. It sucks too because it can run 4k60 with zero dips,

Ryujinx is no where near as fast but is completely stable at 1440p/30.
No problems so far playing TOTK. BTW I use Linux Mint.

Yep, works great on Yuzu - higher res, 60 FPS, ability to add all sorts of cheats.

I tried it on Switch first and was shocked at how bad it looks once you get out into the sky Islands. Texture and shadow low-res pop-in is absolutely awful to the point of being distracting, and of course you're only getting 30 FPS at the most.

I may have to try this when (if) I give it a playthrough. My girlfriend is playing it on the Switch right now and it looks good, for a Switch game, but the Switch shows its limitations for sure. For me one of the more noticeable things in that video is just the anisotropic filtering. Made the textures so much nicer. Given that plus higher res plus higher FPS would be real nice.
I don't know how people live without AF in modern titles. If I can't turn it on with in-game settings it gets forced on if possible.

Yep, works great on Yuzu - higher res, 60 FPS, ability to add all sorts of cheats.

I tried it on Switch first and was shocked at how bad it looks once you get out into the sky Islands. Texture and shadow low-res pop-in is absolutely awful to the point of being distracting, and of course you're only getting 30 FPS at the most.
Docked or on the Switch screen?

does this emulator do save states too? Legality issue aside, save states have quite literally saved my sanity on a bunch of older games where spending hours upon hours redoing everything because you screwed up in one point was the norm.

does this emulator do save states too? Legality issue aside, save states have quite literally saved my sanity on a bunch of older games where spending hours upon hours redoing everything because you screwed up in one point was the norm.

Latest Zelda's are modern enough games that they do not really need save states. Autosave points are plentiful and no real progress is lost on death. 🤔

Would be nice to buy a PC port of the game but ya Nintendo thinks this is a better route. I hope they profit well from this. :)
Oh they are. It could be a total pile of shit and they'd still profit because people get all worked up about a new Zelda game, but this also is an extremely good game so people are going ham over it. They are going to sell tons of copies. I imagine some people who have a Switch but never use it will pull it out just to play this.

Looks like I'm going to have to verify this on my own to see if a 115w RTX 2060 and a 6 core i7-10750H.

Latest Zelda's are modern enough games that they do not really need save states. Autosave points are plentiful and no real progress is lost on death. 🤔
That's cool, wasn't specifically speaking of Zelda... hell I haven't played a Zelda game since the SNES.

Oh they are. It could be a total pile of shit and they'd still profit because people get all worked up about a new Zelda game, but this also is an extremely good game so people are going ham over it. They are going to sell tons of copies. I imagine some people who have a Switch but never use it will pull it out just to play this.
I'm not buying it.. Cause its not on PC.. That's money lost for them.. Don't get your logic. More platforms = more $. Microsoft understands this.. and Sony does now too.. ( took them longer ). Hopefully Nintendo gets it soon.. I don't even care if they delay it 6months or 12 for switch first.. "JUST PUT IT ON PC EVENTUALLY PERIOD."

I'm not buying it.. Cause its not on PC.. That's money lost for them.. Don't get your logic. More platforms = more $. Microsoft understands this.. and Sony does now too.. ( took them longer ). Hopefully Nintendo gets it soon.. I don't even care if they delay it 6months or 12 for switch first.. "JUST PUT IT ON PC EVENTUALLY PERIOD."
Where did I say that they shouldn't put it on PC? I just said they were going to make a ton of money. I love PC gaming, to the extent that I've got a fiber optic cable running through the wall from the office to the living room so we can PC game on the TV. I'm just saying that Nintendo will make a fuckton of money on this game. Zelda is one of those titles that people get all excited over, so they will sell a ton of copies even if it is dogshit. However this one isn't. Much though I don't like the weapon fragility in game, it is a fun game and people are going nuts for it. They are going to sell tens of millions of copies.

Where did I say that they shouldn't put it on PC? I just said they were going to make a ton of money. I love PC gaming, to the extent that I've got a fiber optic cable running through the wall from the office to the living room so we can PC game on the TV. I'm just saying that Nintendo will make a fuckton of money on this game. Zelda is one of those titles that people get all excited over, so they will sell a ton of copies even if it is dogshit. However this one isn't. Much though I don't like the weapon fragility in game, it is a fun game and people are going nuts for it. They are going to sell tens of millions of copies.
They'd make a fuckton more if they ported it to PC, and Xbox, and Playstation. The Switch is not only extremely outdated, but being out done by Steam Deck and clones like Asus Rog Ally. Just Nintendo unwilling to adapt to the times.

They'd make a fuckton more if they ported it to PC, and Xbox, and Playstation. The Switch is not only extremely outdated, but being out done by Steam Deck and clones like Asus Rog Ally. Just Nintendo unwilling to adapt to the times.
ya Nintendo doesn't like money.. It's weird.

Definitely looks and plays a lot nicer on PC. It's particularly nice they were able to boost all the LOD and filtering settings. With 60 FPS it looks pretty good at 4K.

They love money as much as any other corporation. They are just very protective over their IPs. They lose control releasing it on PC.
Can't compare the switch to other newer hand held devices. Nintendo low hardware prices is very appealing to their audience. Nintendo is run by old Japanese men that are stuck in their ways. They need young blood up top but when they do replace people it is with just another old man.

Last edited:
Nintendo low hardware prices is very appealing to their audience.
This. Let's be honest. You can buy a Switch or you can buy maybe a decent GPU, never mind the rest of a pc setup. This is a choice quite a few people have to make and a fair number will go with the former.

I have yuzu and switch botw and totk. Totk is so much more responsive with a pc than my switch. I always find my switch controls a bit more clunky. I am much farther on my switch though because of overnight diaper changes and baby feeds. Totk is a ton of just exploring and traversal. Spotting a shrine is like crack. I've not yet made it to any quest point without detouring 100x.

I am much farther on my switch though because of overnight diaper changes and baby feeds.
Yeah that's the other part of it. A couple of toddlers makes use of a PC during non-nap hours almost impossible lol.

Nintendo is all in on getting 30% of games sales from 3rd party games. That is why they don't port their games to all platforms. Hardware sales don't make up much money as supposedly game consoles have extremely low margins or next to none. The Switch is so old that by now Nintendo should be making a decent profit.
This. Let's be honest. You can buy a Switch or you can buy maybe a decent GPU, never mind the rest of a pc setup. This is a choice quite a few people have to make and a fair number will go with the former.
Lets be more honest, you could buy a Switch or a Steam Deck that can play Switch games even better. The Steam Deck can also play other games too, and you don't need to mod it to do so. The Steam Deck is $50 more, but it also has twice as much storage and more than one way to expand that storage. Buying a Switch in 2023 is a joke. The Steam Deck is just one of many choices now that you can choose to play games portable. There's also nothing wrong with buying a graphics card for the price of a Switch, because there's a good chance it'll run too many circles around the Switch and plays more games too.

It's just smart for Nintendo to port their games at least to PC. I keep saying I'm going to buy a Steam Deck, but I will buy a Steam Deck and that's going to be my all in one solution to my portable gaming needs. My Switch collects dust as is, because it just plays so much better on PC. My PC isn't exactly modern by today's standards either. I've played Switch games on a Intel Core i5-5300U with HD Graphics 5500 on Linux. Linux has working Vulkan drivers for the HD 5500 graphics, so that's why I can get away with it. You can run Switch games on basically any PC, so no need to buy a $350 graphics card. If you want enhanced graphics then a GTX 1060 is gonna do just fine. I'm sure if Nintendo ported their games to PC, they would be terribly unoptimized ports. God of War on PC is extremely unoptimized, but hey at least it was ported. My Ryzen 3500U laptop runs Switch games like butter.

Lets be more honest, you could buy a Switch or a Steam Deck that can play Switch games even better. The Steam Deck can also play other games too, and you don't need to mod it to do so. The Steam Deck is $50 more, but it also has twice as much storage and more than one way to expand that storage. Buying a Switch in 2023 is a joke. The Steam Deck is just one of many choices now that you can choose to play games portable. There's also nothing wrong with buying a graphics card for the price of a Switch, because there's a good chance it'll run too many circles around the Switch and plays more games too.
A steam deck can emulate switch games better than a switch can run native? As for the gpu, no, that is not reasonable for quite a few people. Almost everyone has a TV in their living room ready to go with a Switch if they want to play Nintendo games. That $300 gpu has to then be paired up with the rest of a PC if someone does not have the hardware already which is much more expensive and time consuming for someone saying "Huh, that new Nintendo game looks like it'd be fun to play".

A lot of people are fine with substandard hardware if they enjoy the game. Doubly so if it's cheaper and more convenient. Look at mobile gaming. Look at the Deck itself, I consider it substandard vs playing the same games on a PC.

*Edit* Let's not forget a good number of people aren't down with emulating, especially illegally. I assume to "legally" emulate a Switch, you still need one to get BIOS or something from, not to mention the game itself. Hell, tons of people still legally buy Windows.

Nintendo is all in on getting 30% of games sales from 3rd party games. That is why they don't port their games to all platforms. Hardware sales don't make up much money as supposedly game consoles have extremely low margins or next to none. The Switch is so old that by now Nintendo should be making a decent profit.

It's just smart for Nintendo to port their games at least to PC. I keep saying I'm going to buy a Steam Deck, but I will buy a Steam Deck and that's going to be my all in one solution to my portable gaming needs. My Switch collects dust as is, because it just plays so much better on PC. My PC isn't exactly modern by today's standards either. I've played Switch games on a Intel Core i5-5300U with HD Graphics 5500 on Linux. Linux has working Vulkan drivers for the HD 5500 graphics, so that's why I can get away with it. You can run Switch games on basically any PC, so no need to buy a $350 graphics card. If you want enhanced graphics then a GTX 1060 is gonna do just fine. I'm sure if Nintendo ported their games to PC, they would be terribly unoptimized ports. God of War on PC is extremely unoptimized, but hey at least it was ported. My Ryzen 3500U laptop runs Switch games like butter.
You don't think like the common consumer. Most don't know you can play switch games let alone figure out how to set it up and working on PC. Then there is the ethical side of it that people don't want to deal with. The switch is cheap and plug play.

You don't think like the common consumer. Most don't know you can play switch games let alone figure out how to set it up and working on PC. Then there is the ethical side of it that people don't want to deal with. The switch is cheap and plug play.
People get a little bubbled away from common consumer stuff here and on other tech related forums.

$50 more than….the OLED Switch, which has a better screen.

$100 more than standard Switch

$200 more than Switch Lite

Yeah, look at how Sony has lost control of all their IPs they brought to PC. Now everyone can make last of us, horizon and uncharted games indiscriminately... /s
How you think they would react to a modding community? Nintendo is very quick to send out any C&D to people using their IPs. They are known to go after individuals legally and sue them to hell.

Back