One client not seeing other computers in the Domain. Client OS Win7, Server OS 2012

Ryck

Limp Gawd
Server OS Windows Server 2012 Essentials
Client OS: Windows 7 Professional

I recently upgraded from Home Server 2011 to Essentials 2012. This required me to create a Domain which I did, and the other PC's connect with no problem. Using the same procedure to connect my main machine, and it does not see any other computers that are in the domain when I go to network places, not even the server. I have checked that the primary DNS is pointing to 2012 Essentials server. I can connect to the other PCs by manually typing in the other PC names.

Another problem is that I cannot access the shared folders in the Dashboard. I log in as an administrator and have checked permissions. When I try to access these shared folders it gives me the access denied message.

Does anyone know what is going on with these two problems?

Thanks for your help in advance.

I didn't use 2012 Essentials yet - only regular 2012 and domain is working without any problem.
Main thing is that client pc must have dns connected to server - on server you can set forwarding for external internet access.
If you have problems with domain you could try rejoin to domain on client PC - you'll verify then that everything is configured properly - I can recommend tool called Profile Wizard http://www.forensit.com/Profwiz/ It's great for rejoining to domain or when you want to switch to other domain without lose your profile.
Maybe Dasboard require for local administrator privileges to work properly ?

I resolved the issue by leaving the domain and not using the connector software, but manually joining the domain.

I also renamed one of the PCs but in the network both the new and old names show up. The old name gives a path error which is to be expected. I flushed the DNS, but it still shows up. Is this something that will resolve as the DNS corrects for the name change, or is there something I can do to resolve it?

Last edited:
Back