One box, multiple network connections

I have a wireless network as well as a wired network with my computers at my house. I use the wireless network for internet access, and the wired network for communication between my local computers (I keep all my music on one machine, for example). When it works, it works wonderfully, so the comparatively limited wireless bandwidth isn't wasted on streaming music files from a local computer, for example. However, it's been a bitch to configure every time I have to log off or reboot (or the power goes out, as its done 3 times in the past 2 days, but that's another issue). I have to mess around with my already finicky wireless and do a ROUTE DELETE on the default route that is added for the local (wired) network connection so my computer doesn't try and use that for the internet connection. I've also added an entry in my HOSTS file for each of the other computers to use the IP address on the local network.

Is there a way to automatically force a specific adapter to be used as the default gateway for the computer? Because no matter what I do, unless I manually do the ROUTE DELETE, the wired adapter always ends up being listed as the default gateway according to ROUTE PRINT. Any tips?

Just readd the default route with a lower metric and the -p switch.

Okay, that worked great, thanks!

Is there a better way than using the HOSTS file to specify that local communications should go through the wired network?

The only thing you really use the HOSTS file for is directly telling that machine what name is associated with what IP address. Can you explain this a little better.

well right now, i only have 3 computers on my network, so i just added an entry in the HOSTS file for each computer, and set my router so that the computers always get the same IP from DHCP.

Back