One AM3+ Mobo on newegg

I wonder why they would release it so early. Seems like a good board for $95

Gotta say that looks like a quality board. All of the new tech--sata3, usb3...-- and 2 full size PCIE slots placed so that 2 of the 3 PCI slots are usable even with fat video cards. If looks thinner than standard ATX, too.

This has me all antsy and stuff.

That board is actually making me interested now that I looked at it again. Only thing is the 870 series chipset. Not to familiar with anything other than x90 features.

Too bad the two video (PCI-E) are x16 or x16 and x4 (when both slots are used).

What's good about 870a chipset anyway? It's outdated, correct? How can an outdated chipset be compatible with AM3+ socket?

What's good about 870a chipset anyway? It's outdated, correct? How can an outdated chipset be compatible with AM3+ socket?

i might missfire here, but taking a shot is better than no shot.

to answer your question, it may be because that is one thing keeping AMD as much alive as intel (for CPU) since you can buy one mobo and upgrade the compatible cpu for least two/three years.

The same reason why you can still get 790GX boards for AM3. It costs less, and still has enough features for most people. 790GX is about $20 cheaper than 890GX, although it has less features, it still is good enough for most people who dont need USB3, SATA III.

It isn't 870a...that 'a' is just part of the model name. It's 870. As in 870 from AMD, not the old NVidia stuff.

Nice catch OP. Hopefully more AM3+ boards will start becoming available soon.

When the first post was made, it had a listed socket type of AM3+ and the details had a blurb about "Ready to accept next gen 32nm CPUs!" or something along those lines.

You mean it said

"Get Ready for New Generation of 32nm AMD AM3+ CPU
GIGABYTE's AMD motherboards are ready to support new generation of 32nm AMD AM3+ multi-core processors, delivering the very best platform for multitasking, multimedia and high performance gaming."

Gigabyte has quite a number of boards that they believe will be compatible, even some 700 series. Each of the boards make the AM3+ ready statement. Too bad my Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 board didn't make the cut. It had USB 3 and SATA III before they became standard. I would actually love to piece meal upgrade from my Phenom ii 965 to Bulldozer. Then get a 9xx AM3+ motherboard later. I do love how AMD keeps sockets similar so you don't need a new board with every cpu upgrade. Here's to hoping AMD can actually release a CPU that can keep up with Intel.

Gigabyte has quite a number of boards that they believe will be compatible, even some 700 series. Each of the boards make the AM3+ ready statement. Too bad my Gigabyte 790XTA-UD4 board didn't make the cut. It had USB 3 and SATA III before they became standard. I would actually love to piece meal upgrade from my Phenom ii 965 to Bulldozer. Then get a 9xx AM3+ motherboard later. I do love how AMD keeps sockets similar so you don't need a new board with every cpu upgrade. Here's to hoping AMD can actually release a CPU that can keep up with Intel.
Looks like my GB board didn't make the cut either. Not so sure that's a bad thing. Piecemeal upgrades sometimes *sound* like a good idea, but often they draw out alot of grief. Also, how 'crippled' will a BD chip in an AM3 board be, and how will you feel about it? I think I'd have getting that new AM3+ mobo on my mind every day until I finally got it!

Back