one 750 or a 500 and 320?

depends on what you are planning to do with it.
I would likely get the 750 GB one:
less power consumption
less heat
less noise
more ``future proof''

However:
single point of failure

The same rule in video cards typically applies to hard drives as well, assuming same price: one over two.

For the price of a 750 you can get 2x500s.

The same rule in video cards typically applies to hard drives as well, assuming same price: one over two.

I don't agree with this at all... if you have 2 drives if one craps out you can still run your system and you won't lose all your data.

Are you saying he doesn't have any more drives to store backup data? What drive is he using now? Use that to make an extra copy of your important files. You make it seem like all the food is being served on one plate -- it shouldn't be.

What you do want is speed (which typically applies to larger hard drives due to platter density), less hard drives to manage, less heat, less power, etc. And on top of that, he was comparing 500+320 = 820 vs. 750, both at the same price (or so he said). Maybe he can get a better deal if you suggest him a better one. I'd definitely take 2x500...but now we're changing the question. Of course, with 2x500, you can set up a RAID array and they'd also be the same speed. It depends on your application.

For the price of a 750 you can get 2x500s.

I don't agree with this at all... if you have 2 drives if one craps out you can still run your system and you won't lose all your data.

The 750GB seagate sells for $199 at Frys/ Outpost right now.

The question that no one has asked is...What are you trying to accomplish with this setup? What are you going to use this space for? As far as noise and heat goes, yea more drives = more heat and noise, but the noise is negligable I currently run 5 drives in my system and I cant say that the noise is louder when i have 1 drive or all firve, i can barely hear my system its in my bedroom and I never turn it off. Without knowing what you are going to do with the HD space I would also suggest just buy 2x500GB, where the market is right now the 500GB drives have the best gb/price ratio. One other thing to note, you may have heard about Seagates 5 year warranty on hard drives, which is amazing BTW, but it only applies to retail versions of the drive, not OEM. Just keep that in mind.

One other thing to note, you may have heard about Seagates 5 year warranty on hard drives, which is amazing BTW, but it only applies to retail versions of the drive, not OEM. Just keep that in mind.

The 5yr warranty applies to Seagate OEM drives just as well. You may check ZZF or newegg at your own leisure.

The 5yr warranty applies to Seagate OEM drives just as well. You may check ZZF or newegg at your own leisure.

Since when is ZZF or Newegg an authority on warranty information? I know for a fact that it does not apply to OEM drives cause i have two of them in my system and I was told to contact Dell.

Make sure you double-check the warranty when you buy a Seagate drive, as the five years are only valid for retail products and do not necessarily apply to OEM shipments. - Tom's Hardware Spring Hard Drive Review 5-15-07

there are the regular OEM drives that you can purchase off the internet which have 5year warrenty. then there are OEM specific drives from dell, emachines, hp, etc. they have different serials that when you put them into seagates rma form will tell you to contact your manufacture. which is usually only 1 year.

Since when is ZZF or Newegg an authority on warranty information?
They are not, but I am inclined to believe them and the information that Seagate has been putting out for the past couple of years. I just couldn't find the info on Seagate's website. At least I tried to substantiate my claim, unlike many posters on here.

I know for a fact that it does not apply to OEM drives cause i have two of them in my system and I was told to contact Dell.
That is an excellent point that I had not considered. FAIK any drive bought through/ from Dell will only carry Dell warranty. I am under the impression that most people on this forum do not purchase their drives from Dell, since Dell usually has very bad pricing on HDDs.

Back