Once again I turn to my [H] family for help (Excel 2016)

Bird222

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok IS upgraded my work computer from Windows 7 and Office 2010 to Win 10 and Office 2016. They somehow backed up my settings and files and restored them to the new machine. The problem is when I copy and paste in Excel, I get this error message "We couldn't free up space on the Clipboard. Another program might be using it right now." After I get this error, Excel starts acting weird. Formulas won't calculate, cells won't show they are highlighted even though they are, etc. Based on Google searches this has been a problem for years but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. Most of the posts I have come across suggest that there is some program/process that is accessing the clipboard and you need to find it and uninstall it. I don't have a lot on this computer basically Office, Acrobat, Gotomypc, UltraVNC, and a few other items that I don't use but the company installed. Here's what I've tried

1. "sfc /scannow" at the cmd prompt. It did report that it fixed errors but didn't fix my issue.
2. Checking the "collect without showing office clipboard" option in Excel clipboard options. I thought this fixed it but it was only temporary.

If the problem is indeed another program/process, is there an efficient way to track this down? Help!

What about hard drive corruption? You could run a check of the drive by right-clicking and selecting properties, then tools, then click the button that says check.

Weird things can happen when you migrate a profile between Windows versions. If you have access to create a new local user, do that and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, then you may need to clean any stored settings for Excel out of HKCU/appdata.

I finally figured out what was causing this. Gotomypc was accessing the clipboard at the same time as Excel. Gotomypc has an option that says 'copy/paste between computers' which was enabled. After I unchecked that everything has been fine. Thanks to those that tried to help.

Back