Onboard sound distorted and popping until video cards removed?!

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

Recently on my Asus Z170-WS system I started noticing audio distortion when playing youtube videos and such. Off of the optical onboard port. Even the headphone port was distorted in sound quality. This even happened on a new fresh install of Windows just to rule out Windows corruption. Anyhow assuming my motherboard has gone bad I removed my two 1080 Ftw2 cards and started up from the iGpu off of the displayport. Next thing I know the monitor starts blinking on and off with long durations of black on and off. So I tried the onboard hdmi port and no problems. Smooth no blinking. Surprisingly now the audio is crystal smooth. No more distortions.

What gives...

Thanks

sort of thing happens with onboard audio.. likely electrical interference from the video cards

If I was you I'd get an external dac.. many many options out there.. take a look at the schiit modi

for example

http://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

if you are a glutton for punishment you can try rerouting cables etc. inside case trying to keep stuff away from audio components ..but on board audio is prone to this sort of problem..

Samething happens on my laptop. What a nuissance. Not familiar with external Dac's. Thanks

Sound trouble is often related to power issues so your power supply may not be enough to feed the GPU and dirty power = dirty sound.

Back