Onboard Realtek ALC888 vs. X-Fi XtremeMusic PCI

To all the clueless people claiming their is no hardware acceleration in Vista/Windows 7, how's come I get MUCH better framerates in Dirt2 with hardware acceleration enabled(I'm on Vista)?

Huh?

Hardware acceleration improves my min frames by 15-25% in this game. THAT'S THE EQUIVALENT OF A MAJOR CPU OVERCLOCK. Did I mention I'm running an overclocked Q9550?

OpenAL IS hardware accelerated in Vista/Windows 7. Directsound3D IS NOT natively, so that's why alchemy takes D3D and converts it to OpenAL. OpenAL basically replaced D3D. There is a ton of games still accelerated by hardware and games still coming out that use it. Dirt2 is heavy on the CPU and I'll take any help I can get in that game.

I agree that hardware acceleration aint what it used to be but don't claim it doesn't work anymore when it clearly is alive and helps me greatly even with my oveclocked quad core.

so that's why alchemy takes D3D and converts it to OpenAL. QUOTE]

When I had my x-fi in I checked Alchemy that conversion you talking about uses CPU % load processing. For me I saw a 20-30% cpu usage under task manager while in vista.

I then moved on to Sandigo Inferno cmedia Oxygen CMI8788 then to Asus xonar dx1 low profile. Music on these cards were great much better than creative.

Creative is better for gaming. It offloads from the CPU. OpenAL is accelerated but by what is the question. Any onboard audio is not hardware accelerated. X-Fi is hardware accelerated. Onboard uses the CPU.

Also I love all these people that say "onboard is good enough." lol well AMD is good enough but Intel outsells them 2 to 1.

Good thing I found this thread. Help me made up my mind. Sticking with my Realtek ALC888. I bought the optional S/PDIF input ports and compared to the Asus Xonar or Creative's offering, the ports on the motherboard and the optional input port either on par or exceed them. Also with my Gigaworks T20 SII, I doubt any high end card will make a difference

Back