onboard nic hates me!! (help!!)

HAF72

1337 :)
Ok so i am not sure if its only me, but onboard NICS they all seem to hate me... Ok so first of all my first build amd 3200+ the onboard nic was working great then one day it decided to die(2yrs ago) so i had to get an external nic, then my amd x2 biostar it was great with xp but then some how when i install vista home on it the network driver stopped working even after installing the latest drivers for vista for a few times!! but i got a linksys wireless for it and working great... then my intel d975xbx it has vista ultimate it took a long time to get it up and still each time i turn it on, i have to reset the network(though the network management) now i just got in my asus p5q pro installed(replaced the d975xbx as upgrrade) and installed vista ultimate 32bit btw installed all the latest drivers(yes i rebooted) and guess what?? still it does not work, oh and the internet router, cable is all good.... :mad: :confused: ive talked to some people and they say they never have problem with onboard nics works first try and always works... why me?!?! lol so now i probably have to buy another pci nic for $36 :mad: :rolleyes: Thanks!

Ok so i am not sure if its only me, but onboard NICS they all seem to hate me... Ok so first of all my first build amd 3200+ the onboard nic was working great then one day it decided to die(2yrs ago) so i had to get an external nic, then my amd x2 biostar it was great with xp but then some how when i install vista home on it the network driver stopped working even after installing the latest drivers for vista for a few times!! but i got a linksys wireless for it and working great... then my intel d975xbx it has vista ultimate it took a long time to get it up and still each time i turn it on, i have to reset the network(though the network management) now i just got in my asus p5q pro installed(replaced the d975xbx as upgrrade) and installed vista ultimate 32bit btw installed all the latest drivers(yes i rebooted) and guess what?? still it does not work, oh and the internet router, cable is all good.... :mad: :confused: ive talked to some people and they say they never have problem with onboard nics works first try and always works... why me?!?! lol so now i probably have to buy another pci nic for $36 :mad: :rolleyes: Thanks!

So, wheres the question for help or was this more a rant? Iv'e used onboard NICs for years with no such troubles. Are your motherboards properly grounded? Have you checked the wiring for shorts? Have you tried a different router/modem that could be sending bad voltages across the ethernet? Is your equipment on a quality surge protecterr/UPS? Do you have bad karma? :p

lol yes i think i have bad karma :) its a rant/question.. ok my motherboard isn't screwed in all*meaning there are some holes left because some reason the motherboard won't aglin with it , i blame raidmax) but then all the other computers i've built are the same way(meaning the nics hate me) :rolleyes: Ok this is what i've tried, new cable, then locolaptop told me to uninstall the drivers from device manager, then install with the latest from asus's website.. oh and rebooted the computer still nothing.. so im not sure if this will help but to go install 64bit and give it a try but yes its probably bad karma lol. :D :rolleyes: :mad:

oops i forgot to mention my compter is connected to an apc power surge then to an APC UPS forgot which model but its a pretty good one, it can handle like around 800 which is plenty.

update: i installed 64bit and the latest drivers... still nothing.. or could it possibly be the router? but i can get through it on wireless just fine... and parents can connect to it wired just fine too... sighs.. and ive talked to people who uses vista 64 and they have no problem at all with the NIC............... oh yea and i refuse to use anything besides windows vista :eek: :) well i am waiting for windows 7 though

To Omega, as i said earlier i tried that, but my dad fixed it :) He changed the ip from DHCP to static ip and you know what it works now! :D so time to install everything back on and get it folding! :D Thanks to everyone who helped.

Sorry, I didn't feel like reading the solid block of text (no offense intended). My eyes have a hard drive keeping place in solid blocks of text (even though I have 20/20 in both eyes).

I run all my desktops static IP. It just keeps things simple for lan partys and forwarding ports. only the laptops on my network are DHCP and thats because I don't want to reconfigure the static IP everytime I come home.

To Omega, as i said earlier i tried that, but my dad fixed it :) He changed the ip from DHCP to static ip and you know what it works now! :D so time to install everything back on and get it folding! :D Thanks to everyone who helped.

Sounds like you still have alot to learn from your dad ;)

Sounds like you still have alot to learn from your dad ;)

Heh. I long surpassed my dad in computer knowledge. He taught me some basic DOS commands in the days of DOS 5 and I learned all the rest on my own from there on over time (I'm 21 now). I still have a ways to go, but I long since stopped trying to explain anything computer related to anyone in my family.

none taken omega, yea i don't read the whole thing sometimes too :p heh yea hes going to show me how to do it so next time i can do it by my self :) but isn't it weird how that way works??

none taken omega, yea i don't read the whole thing sometimes too :p heh yea hes going to show me how to do it so next time i can do it by my self :) but isn't it weird how that way works??

Heh. I had a cable just stop working on me the other day. It worked fine for months connecting my fiancees netgear router to my netgear gigabit switch. It spanned from the den to the living room and from the living room it went into the wall and into the bedroom where the router was.

I moved it to plug into my pfsense router and into the modem directly and I could get a light saying it was connected but could not get an IP. Both devices saw the connection. Then after a few tries of moving it between switches and such it just stop giving a connection at all. I had to go to altex and buy some new cables.

Seeing how much they cost there, I may just give up on running my own except for inside a wall. Its not worth the hassle to me anymore.

Back