Onboard Networking Dead - PCI adapter solution questions

So the onboard networking capability of my mobo is dead, and I want to use a PCI adapter to remedy. This will fit into my backup/FTP server, which is a boneyard s939 build.

I'd like a card that has both wireless and RJ plug capability. Do they exist? I'm striking out finding anything like that. I'd like to have both options in case the wireless speed isn't satisfactory, and I want to just plug in.

Otherwise, I'm looking at the following Hawking unit with remote antennae.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164026

33-164-026-03.jpg

and the following Encore unit (external antennae) which is a bunch cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180052

33-180-052-02.jpg

Thoughts? This is a first for me.

I've not seen a WiFi/Wired Ethernet combo card. Why do you need both WiFi and Wired Ethernet? Is it acting as a router?

If youve got a best buy (or something similar) around I would "borrow" a wireless adapter to see if the signal is acceptable. Otherwise wired NICs are only $10-$15. Who doesnt need an extra NIC lying around?

I've not seen a WiFi/Wired Ethernet combo card. Why do you need both WiFi and Wired Ethernet? Is it acting as a router?

This is a server, so if the wireless capability isn't as advertised, I could revert to hardwired (although I'd rather not snake a cat5 cable around my office).

My guess is the wireless will be fine. The router is in the same room.

Any thoughts on the two products I posted in the OP?

Thanks for the replies!

zv

zero_vertical,

The second item pictured looks like a PCI wireless card. In most cases I would recommend an external USB wireless adapter over any internal PCI wireless card because nearly all PCI wireless cards have externally-mounted antennae which are so short that they end up being way too close to the cables and wires sticking out the back of your computer no matter how you position the antennae. Those cables and wires also act as antennae (but are definitely not connected at all to the wireless card), which would rob the wireless PCI card of much of its potential signal strength and quality. And although good external antennae (which can be positioned away from the computer) are available for those cards, they are generally hard to find. And even at their best, the PCI wireless cards perform very inconsistently, as far as sensitivity and selectivity are concerned. External USB wireless adapters are much more consistent - and usually better - in both aspects of performance.

zero_vertical,

The second item pictured looks like a PCI wireless card. In most cases I would recommend an external USB wireless adapter over any internal PCI wireless card because nearly all PCI wireless cards have externally-mounted antennae which are so short that they end up being way too close to the cables and wires sticking out the back of your computer no matter how you position the antennae. Those cables and wires also act as antennae (but are definitely not connected at all to the wireless card), which would rob the wireless PCI card of much of its potential signal strength and quality. And although good external antennae (which can be positioned away from the computer) are available for those cards, they are generally hard to find. And even at their best, the PCI wireless cards perform very inconsistently, as far as sensitivity and selectivity are concerned. External USB wireless adapters are much more consistent - and usually better - in both aspects of performance.

Great f*cking post. I'm going with the Hawking. Many thanks!

zv

/thread

To follow up, the Hawking works amazing, and even has a beta of wireless "n" for those in the early adopter camp (I'm just using b/g combo). THe unit is tiny (which is hard to tell from the pics) and the USB cord is nice and long.

Signal is rock solid, pinned at full connectivity 100% of the time. It's perfect for my server, and the best part is that I didn't have to snake cat 5 cable around my office!

The second best part is I could still use my boneyard borne motherboard that had a dead NIC. ;)

Thanks again for the help, folks - especially you eagle!

zv

Back