Onboard motherboard audio: which power rail?

jamesgalb

Gawd
Does anyone know which PSU voltage rail runs (or most effects) the onboard audio on a motherboard?

Trying to pick a PSU with the lowest ripple and voltage regulation on the rails that matter most for audio.

It runs off the 12v rail, everything on the motherboard does more or less, but your PSU noise isn't going to be the issue. The issue will be if the audio setup itself has proper filtering and isolation from all the various noise in the system. If you want good onboard audio, you need to look at buying a motherboard that does it well. Asus tends to on their higher end boards.

The trick to good audio isn't a magically clean power source, as noise in the power source of any kind is easy to have. It is having a setup that is designed such that any noise in there isn't an issue (as well as noise from other sources).

It runs off the 12v rail, everything on the motherboard does more or less, but your PSU noise isn't going to be the issue. The issue will be if the audio setup itself has proper filtering and isolation from all the various noise in the system. If you want good onboard audio, you need to look at buying a motherboard that does it well. Asus tends to on their higher end boards.

The trick to good audio isn't a magically clean power source, as noise in the power source of any kind is easy to have. It is having a setup that is designed such that any noise in there isn't an issue (as well as noise from other sources).

Right now I'm going to pair a new PSU with an FX 8370e build with an AM3 ASRock 990fx fatal1ty killer motherboard with Purity Sound 2 and seemingly good components... When I upgrade to a skylake build, I was thinking of going with a Gigabyte MB with SoundBlaster Z.

Both should be solid, I just want to make sure they are getting the best power feed possible.

Read in depth reviews and do not try to cut corners on that purchase then. There are several reviews in the power supply section of the hardocp forum.
I agree with sycraft, PSU noise will not be an issue.

Seems I am going to go with either a Corsair RM850i or EVGA SuperNova G2 850. Both have excellent ripple control and voltage regulation for some smooth power, and even stay fanless at low loads which is awesome for a little audio rig that may be in the same room as recording...

I'm really hoping Gigabyte lands home the Creative Z Onboard sound for the z170... Until I see some reviews, this ASRock fatal1ty Purity Sound is actually pretty solid for the time being.

It would be nice if someone would throw together some sort of sound review on the new chipset. Gigabyte, ASRock, ASUS and MSI are all putting a little love in onboard audio lately...

This raises an interesting question: has anyone publicly tested motherboard-audio PSRR?

Not that I've seen. I rarely see any tests of any kind on MB audio. I guess review sites just assume that you either don't care, or buy a good MB if you do.

My informal testing (just listening with sensitive phones, no empirical testing) indicates that the ones that advertise good audio like Asus have it, and the ones that don't usually have crap. My X99 Deluxe has very good output, no noise or anything I can hear. It compares very favourably with my headphone amp. In contrast the Dells at work are crap and hiss and leak various system noise in all the time.

That's the other thing is they don't just need rejection of noise coming over the power rails, but also EMI/RFI inside the case. Neither is particularly hard to do, but it all costs money and most don't.

never noticed, but MSIs audio boost boards have their own power plug…

would a molex connector run off of the 12v rail or 5v rail?

Both is available on the 4 pin molex connectors. So it would depend on what the board is set up to use.

Back