On the hunt after doing my homework

Retne

Limp Gawd
OK after doing some reasearch I've come to a set of conclusions on what type of monitor I want to purchase. 20" widescreen S-IPS panel with a glossy screen. Anywhere I can find a list of monitors fitting these descriptions or does anyone have suggestions? I don't really want to spend over $400. Less than $400 would be awsome if possible.

im just beginning to seriously look into a new lcd screen for myself also (my old trinitron is just about dead). just a quick question maybe u or someone else knows, what is the advantage of a "glossy" screen? and what would be a disadvantage of it? sorry for my noobiness :p

The glossy screen gives more vivid colors. The only downside is it will get glare hardcore in certain lighting situations. Considering I'm picking this monitor up for my bedroom and I usually have no lights on I decided the glossy was right for me.

Just click around these forums and you can glean the differences between the different types of screens from peoples comments (although I would take a grain of salt with each one :D ).

hmm glossy sounds nice :p thx for the info and gl finding your lcd screen

I arrived at a similar conclusion a month ago. The only 20" S-IPS glossy widescreen I know of is the NEC 20WMGX2, but it's about $630 right now. You have to pay to play.

Having used a bunch of matte S-IPS LCDs compared to the NEC, I'd say the biggest differences are in small details, color accuracy, and video playback. For example, a lot of backgrounds in Mac OS X have a faint pinstripe background. On matte LCDs the pinstripes almost appear as one color, but on the NEC I can easily tell the pinstripes. In terms of color, the glossy finish on the NEC makes colors a little deeper. For video playback on a few other monitors I tried with S-IPS panels (Dell 2007FPW and Apple Cinema Display 23" model) I could notice a screen door effect when video was playing, especially over skintones; not so with the NEC.

The only panels I can think of that match your criteria are:

NEC 20WMGX2
Asus PW201
Acer Ferrari F-20

The NEC goes for over $600 and the Asus around $500 so that leaves the F-20 which can be found for just under $400 shipped if you dig around enough. I have the F-20 and can personally tell you I'm very pleased with it...however beware that Acer has left themselves open for a Dell type panel lottery by listing both LG and AU in teh service menu without stating a specific model number. I believe mine is S-IPS due to the characteristics it exhibits and the Acer UK site says "Super-IPS" for the F-20 panel technology. Just be aware that you may get an AU Optronics P-MVA panel which is the same as used in the Viewsonic VX2025WM (not a bad thing)

edit- now that I think about it I believe the Asus has a P-MVA panel instead of S-IPS...still not a bad thing however.

Back