On the fence about these two PSU's

Carv

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to upgrade my PSU now, to be ready for my future upgrade in the coming months.

I'm waiting to run an x38 Penryn based system maybe even with a G92 if they are out by then, if not then a good G80. I would'nt think about running my new system on my current PSU (Aspire 520W), even though it has'nt failed me yet, I would'nt trust it at all on that type of hardware.

I've heard nothing but good things on both the Corsair HX620 (love the fact that it's modular) and the PC P&C Silencer 750. I just want to make sure, and have peice of mind that I'll be able to upgrade in the future without thinking about the PSU then. I don't mind the price difference between them as long as I have peice of mind. (It seems to only be a 50$ price difference at Newegg)

What do you guy's think/recommend?

Get the Silencer 750 Quad through PC Power and Cooling direct for $170. They'll even tack on a custom wiring harness when you order if you want.

That, or a Silverstone Olympia 650 watt from www.deadeyedata.com for $128 + S/H. The Corsair is consistently overpriced and the lack of 4 native PCIe connectors makes it less appealing to me. All three are quality units, and if you must have a modular supply with a single 12v rail the Corsair is the way to go, but I'd personally pay a bit more and get the Silencer... and I did.

corsair over the pc&c just read the [H] pc&c is not all its hyped to be, their customer service is awesome but the psu build quality is not as good as the seasonics. I would get the corsair 620hx or another seasonic.

corsair over the pc&c just read the [H] pc&c is not all its hyped to be, their customer service is awesome but the psu build quality is not as good as the seasonics. I would get the corsair 620hx or another seasonic.

....that's not what they said at all. Yes, the Corsairs are nice, but people act like they're made out of solid gold anymore. It's getting ridiculous.

I never said [H] review says that corsair is better then pc&c but read both reviews and draw your own conclusions. For a long time pc&c psus were regarded as the holy grail of psus, they could do no wrong, I think their psus are pretty damn good but i also think that seasonic, silverstone and few others make psus that are better. A friend of mine has the pc&c 750 silencer and that thing is anything but quiet when compared to my corsair 620hx.

Either one will be a great choice.

Just transitioned from an OCZ600ADJSLI, to a PCP&C 750 Silencer. Very Stable, I would have to say that my overclock is more stable (EVGA 8800GTS 640 at core of 760 and memory of 1020 stable, air), as well as back to hitting 2.65 with 2T and all 4 memory banks filled (vs. 2.5 previously)

Is PCP&C the "holy grail". No, not in the least. But their reputation does precede them, and I think that it's something to take in. I've also heard their CS is outstanding as well, but I have nothing first hand to base that on (all forum based).

Hmm, I saw axan mention the SeaSonic's, it seem's the M12 SS-700HM is in the same league in terms of price and power, so that's also an option.

Also, one question that I've had burning in the back of my mind for a while is, on my two SATA drives, I can either power them with a 4-pin molex or a sata power connector, does it make any difference which one poweres the drives?

no difference between sata and molex power, use whichever is more convinient.

I've decided I'm going for the Seasonic SS-700HM, I'm just not sure that I'd be able to run SLI if I ever want to, but having the option is nice. Thank's for your help guys. :)

I've decided I'm going for the Seasonic SS-700HM, I'm just not sure that I'd be able to run SLI if I ever want to, but having the option is nice. Thank's for your help guys. :)

The Silencer 750 is less and has more amps on the 12v rail... why are you going with the Seasonic?

The Silencer 750 is less and has more amps on the 12v rail... why are you going with the Seasonic?

It seems that it has both of what I want, sufficient power while being modular.

EDIT: I can still go with something different, just that's what I'm leaning towards right now, I don't plan on ordering until next week.

Back