On the Edge of Buying a PS3

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
I need a slight shove.

I haven't been keeping an eye on console games lately. I have a 360 and a Wii. However, there are a couple of games that I would like on the PS3. So, I was wanting those of you with a PS3 or with both a PS3 and 360 to post up some good games. What I'm looking for is a list of exclusive games, and or games that are on both consoles but the game is substantially better on the PS3.

I'm into about anything but I'm not a huge fan of traditional RPGs. And the games I'm interested in so far.

Gran Turismo 5
Batman: Arkham City
GoldenEye Reloaded
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Hoping this makes it's way from the arcade to the console).

My console game collections consists of 3rd-Person games and fighting games. On the PS3 exclusive side of the house I like:

Uncharted Trilogy
Infamous 1&2
Metal Gear Solid 4
God of War Series: 3, Collection and Origins.

Edit: The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD remakes are also a great package to pick up.

My console game collections consists of 3rd-Person games and fighting games. On the PS3 exclusive side of the house I like:

Uncharted Trilogy
Infamous 1&2
Metal Gear Solid 4

Edit: The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD remakes are also a great package to pick up.

This. The exclusives are worth it. I bought a PS3 just for GOW3. After owning a PS3, and a friend who has a 360, I find a majority of major games I like better on PS3, but some on 360. It's like PC games, which one was developed for which video card. Example, some of the games I like better on PS3:
Batman: AA and AC
Dead Space 1&2
Mafia 2
LA Noire
Gran Turismo I haven't played, but my friend says that he likes it on ps3.
Assassin's Creed it depends on controller preference to me. I like the 360 controller better for those games.
Red Dead series is better on PS3
Shooter games (COD etc) you got fewer little punks yelling cuz you killed them online
If you have a question for other games, just post 'em, I'll let you know if I've played them or not. This thread makes me sound like a PS3 fanboy, lol, but to me, both consoles are alright.

heres a list of exclusives on the ps3, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_3-only_games

Recently I found if you get Need For Speed: The Run Limited Edition you get 3 extra cars and a challenge map.

But then if you get the PS3 version there is another 7 bonus cars. Then get some Dr. Pepper drink codes and get up to 3 exclusive Dr. Pepper cars. Not that bad for extras. I do have some gripes against the game as I'm playing through it.

Uncharted Trilogy
Infamous 1&2
Metal Gear Solid 4

Thanks! I'll check those out.

The Ratchet and Clank games are great as well. Demon's Souls.

Added the Ratchet & Clank games to my want list. I'll check out Demon Souls.

The latest final fantasy is better on the PS3 iirc.

Thanks, but I'm not a fan of traditional RPGs.

Killzone 2/3
Wipeout HD
Little Big Planet

Heard a lot of hype about little big planet when it first came out. Heard of the other two but I need to check them out as well.

This. The exclusives are worth it. I bought a PS3 just for GOW3. After owning a PS3, and a friend who has a 360, I find a majority of major games I like better on PS3, but some on 360. It's like PC games, which one was developed for which video card. Example, some of the games I like better on PS3:
Batman: AA and AC
Dead Space 1&2
Mafia 2
LA Noire
Gran Turismo I haven't played, but my friend says that he likes it on ps3.
Assassin's Creed it depends on controller preference to me. I like the 360 controller better for those games.
Shooter games (COD etc) you got fewer little punks yelling cuz you killed them online
If you have a question for other games, just post 'em, I'll let you know if I've played them or not. This thread makes me sound like a PS3 fanboy, lol, but to me, both consoles are alright.

Wow!

A lot of good info. The Red Dead series is something I'm interested in as well.

heres a list of exclusives on the ps3, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_3-only_games

Recently I found if you get Need For Speed: The Run Limited Edition you get 3 extra cars and a challenge map.

But then if you get the PS3 version there is another 7 bonus cars. Then get some Dr. Pepper drink codes and get up to 3 exclusive Dr. Pepper cars. Not that bad for extras. I do have some gripes against the game as I'm playing through it.

What is bugging you about it? It's a game that I'm thinking about getting. I like the Cannonball style run across the U.S. That's kind of what is drawing me to it.

How so? I believe I read from Digital Foundry's face-off between the 360 and PS3 version, the 360 version ran at a higher resolution, looked less blurry and had more foliage than the PS3 version.

What is bugging you about it? It's a game that I'm thinking about getting. I like the Cannonball style run across the U.S. That's kind of what is drawing me to it.

The game looks good, has a decent premise but ALOT that could be improved upon.

Things that would of made the game better would be longer race time. There is like 10 stages that have 3-5 races a stage. Race time is usually 5ish minutes which never gives me the feel that we are really doing a cannonball run. Events and enviroment is very scripted and can expect no change when replaying the game over.

Usually going around hairpin corners the game gets slowdown, not choppy just like slow motion (think bullet time). I've been using the Dr. Pepper corvette during the game and can't say all cars suck but going around hairpin corners is a bit lame as i'm also slamming into the wall or losing position by breaking before the apex like a sim racer, or handbraking like a arcade racer.

Load times are crazy. Usually 40 seconds plus to load a race! The Run also uses a reset system that varies on difficulty. If using normal difficulty you get 5 Resets per race and you lose XP on every reset, time to reset also takes about 20+ seconds before you drop back to the last checkpoint. The game also keeps count of resets and I'm not sure yet if that will count against you or the ending. If I wreck I restart the race and then run into the crazy load time on top of the reset time.

There were some incredible PS3 deals on Black Friday. Pay attention on Monday for possibly more.

How so? I believe I read from Digital Foundry's face-off between the 360 and PS3 version, the 360 version ran at a higher resolution, looked less blurry and had more foliage than the PS3 version.

Heard the same thing.

Also 2 of the 3 titles you listed in the first post are on xbox (Batman AA and Goldeneye) plus Tekken is on neither so I dont understand the reason for getting a PS3 just cause of 1 game initially (before all these suggestions).

Generally speaking, multiplatform games will produce a better experience on 360 than they will on the PS3. There are, of course, exceptions (the aforementioned FF13 being the most notable offhand), but it's a pretty good rule of thumb.

Instead, I think you should focus your consideration on owning a PS3 for its exclusive features and games. Pretty much all of the exclusives mentioned here are really solid titles, with the God of War and Uncharted series as some of the best console gaming experiences of all time, imho. The fact that the PS3 doubles as a pretty darn good Blu-ray player was also a major selling point for me.

Uncharted series
God of War HD collection and GoW 3
Resistance series
Killzone series
Ratchet & Clank series

via PSN
Pixeljunk Eden
Pixeljunk Shooter 1 + 2
Pixeljunk Monsters
WipEout HD/Fury
Fat Princess (if you like TF2 you will LOVE FP)
Super Stardust HD
Flower (yeah, I went there :))

If you like hack and slashers, pick up Heavenly Sword (should be dirt cheap by now).
It was overhyped and reviewed semi-poorly due to being roughly 6-7 hrs but the gameplay is excellent. It's a shame Ninja Theory will probably never do a sequel....the 3 weapon stances and the ability to switch stances mid-combo is beautiful to execute. :eek:

I bought and finished Little Big Planet, I was really underwhelmed and let down by the game TBH. I didn't think it was that good; I'd consider it average at best. The whole idea of making your own levels is a great idea, but when they started pulling user created maps due to copyright worries, I knew the game was not going to be what I'd hoped it would be.

The game looks good, has a decent premise but ALOT that could be improved upon.

Things that would of made the game better would be longer race time. There is like 10 stages that have 3-5 races a stage. Race time is usually 5ish minutes which never gives me the feel that we are really doing a cannonball run. Events and enviroment is very scripted and can expect no change when replaying the game over.

Usually going around hairpin corners the game gets slowdown, not choppy just like slow motion (think bullet time). I've been using the Dr. Pepper corvette during the game and can't say all cars suck but going around hairpin corners is a bit lame as i'm also slamming into the wall or losing position by breaking before the apex like a sim racer, or handbraking like a arcade racer.

Load times are crazy. Usually 40 seconds plus to load a race! The Run also uses a reset system that varies on difficulty. If using normal difficulty you get 5 Resets per race and you lose XP on every reset, time to reset also takes about 20+ seconds before you drop back to the last checkpoint. The game also keeps count of resets and I'm not sure yet if that will count against you or the ending. If I wreck I restart the race and then run into the crazy load time on top of the reset time.

Ah!

Thanks for the information. I'll definitely rent it first then. It looks like a good idea, but I can see why people are giving it poor ratings after reading that.

There were some incredible PS3 deals on Black Friday. Pay attention on Monday for possibly more.

Managed to pick something up today for a good deal. I went ahead and bought a 160gb PS3 for $200.

Heard the same thing.

Also 2 of the 3 titles you listed in the first post are on xbox (Batman AA and Goldeneye) plus Tekken is on neither so I dont understand the reason for getting a PS3 just cause of 1 game initially (before all these suggestions).

I heard that Batman was better on the PS3 and I heard that GoldenEye was substantially better. As for Tekken Tag 2, it is an arcade right now but I see no reason why they wouldn't port it the console. Then again, it seems that Tekken isn't exclusive to Sony anymore. Still, I would reather have it on the PS3 since the controller is what I'm used to with the series.

I initially wanted a PS3 for Gran Turismo 5 and the potential for Tekken Tag 2. Hell, I bought my PS2 only for Gran Turismo 3 and Tekken Tag. Thankfully I found some other games to make more use of it. So, I really wanted more than two game to get me to buy it. Thus, this thread. In the end, the posts in here showed me enough exclusive games to buy one. The games that are just better are icing on the cake.

Sorry for the long winded explanation.

Generally speaking, multiplatform games will produce a better experience on 360 than they will on the PS3. There are, of course, exceptions (the aforementioned FF13 being the most notable offhand), but it's a pretty good rule of thumb.

Instead, I think you should focus your consideration on owning a PS3 for its exclusive features and games. Pretty much all of the exclusives mentioned here are really solid titles, with the God of War and Uncharted series as some of the best console gaming experiences of all time, imho. The fact that the PS3 doubles as a pretty darn good Blu-ray player was also a major selling point for me.

The exclusive titles were the main focus. Also, the Blu Ray isn't really a big deal to me as I have an HTPC with a Blu Ray player.

I almost bought a PS3 for Uncharted 3 alone...

For some reason I'm just not that interested in Uncharted. I think I need to rent them to see for sure.

Uncharted series
God of War HD collection and GoW 3
Resistance series
Killzone series
Ratchet & Clank series

via PSN
Pixeljunk Eden
Pixeljunk Shooter 1 + 2
Pixeljunk Monsters
WipEout HD/Fury
Fat Princess (if you like TF2 you will LOVE FP)
Super Stardust HD
Flower (yeah, I went there :))

If you like hack and slashers, pick up Heavenly Sword (should be dirt cheap by now).
It was overhyped and reviewed semi-poorly due to being roughly 6-7 hrs but the gameplay is excellent. It's a shame Ninja Theory will probably never do a sequel....the 3 weapon stances and the ability to switch stances mid-combo is beautiful to execute. :eek:

I bought and finished Little Big Planet, I was really underwhelmed and let down by the game TBH. I didn't think it was that good; I'd consider it average at best. The whole idea of making your own levels is a great idea, but when they started pulling user created maps due to copyright worries, I knew the game was not going to be what I'd hoped it would be.

Thanks for some more good suggestions. I'll have to rent Little Big Planet first. Heard something similar from a friend today.

At this point you mine as well wait till closer to end of life when the major price drops come. I have been waiting for a good RPG that just makes me buy the console. neither xbox360 or PS3 has one for me. Valkyrie Chronicles is the only title I really want to play but that's about it.

I did however buy a broken Xbox360 for 20 bucks spend 10 bucks to fix it and played FFXIII.....which was so far away from my taste of RPG that it left me bitter and angry.

just saying this because i have to, un - fucking - charted (all three). yes its that good.

Just personal preference for me, that's all.

OP: You've got to try the Uncharted series, even if you're not that interested in it, it's a great series, and it gets better as you go. They push the PS3 harder with each title, and the pacing gets awesome. Plus, I have a feeling that the gameplay and pacing will get you excited for The Last of Us.

At this point you mine as well wait till closer to end of life when the major price drops come. I have been waiting for a good RPG that just makes me buy the console. neither xbox360 or PS3 has one for me. Valkyrie Chronicles is the only title I really want to play but that's about it.

I did however buy a broken Xbox360 for 20 bucks spend 10 bucks to fix it and played FFXIII.....which was so far away from my taste of RPG that it left me bitter and angry.

I'm sorry... this doesn't make sense to me... you didn't like FFXIII yet you wan't to play Valkyrie Chronicles??? I take it then you don't own a PS3... you might as well save yourself the trouble then.

Love them both. Very similar in a lot of ways (well minus the laughable strategy needed in most of VC).

I'm sorry... this doesn't make sense to me... you didn't like FFXIII yet you wan't to play Valkyrie Chronicles??? I take it then you don't own a PS3... you might as well save yourself the trouble then.

Love them both. Very similar in a lot of ways (well minus the laughable strategy needed in most of VC).

Nope don't own a PS3 Valkyrie Chronicles was the only real driving force to get me to buy the system and it wasn't that strong of a driving force.

considering just how much I hated FFXIII our taste is game is probably very different.

Having not played Valkyrie Chronicles I don't know much about it but from what I read it sounded nothing like FFXIII as it was a strategy who's strongest elements lie in character development and customization....where FFXIII was a rigidly locked down Point A to Point B RPG with no likable characters and a shit story. Were they similar because they both had job classes?

Nope don't own a PS3 Valkyrie Chronicles was the only real driving force to get me to buy the system and it wasn't that strong of a driving force.

considering just how much I hated FFXIII our taste is game is probably very different.

Having not played Valkyrie Chronicles I don't know much about it but from what I read it sounded nothing like FFXIII as it was a strategy who's strongest elements lie in character development and customization....where FFXIII was a rigidly locked down Point A to Point B RPG with no likable characters and a shit story. Were they similar because they both had job classes?

What you read about Valkyrie Chronicles is wrong. It's a Point A to Point B with few meaningless side points. FFXIII offers you much more in the way of other shit. The story of Valkyrie Chronicles is much better (it has a 24 episode anime to boot) and I would play it just for that, but I love traditional RPGs with good stories.

The only real customization you get in VC is who to equip with what weapons and on further play-through you can get better weapons and upgrade some even further. There are several ways that make obtaining lvl 20 (max level) VERY easy but this is also the case with FFXIII and maxing out your chrysanthemum (sp?) super ez with spamming death.

Overall, both are extremely linear, but VC is the more challenging game as there is some MEGA strategy needed in a few missions, especially after you crank the difficulty up.

What you read about Valkyrie Chronicles is wrong. It's a Point A to Point B with few meaningless side points. FFXIII offers you much more in the way of other shit. The story of Valkyrie Chronicles is much better (it has a 24 episode anime to boot) and I would play it just for that, but I love traditional RPGs with good stories.

The only real customization you get in VC is who to equip with what weapons and on further play-through you can get better weapons and upgrade some even further. There are several ways that make obtaining lvl 20 (max level) VERY easy but this is also the case with FFXIII and maxing out your chrysanthemum (sp?) super ez with spamming death.

Overall, both are extremely linear, but VC is the more challenging game as there is some MEGA strategy needed in a few missions, especially after you crank the difficulty up.

well that's good to know solidifies my resolve to not buy a ps3 until games I want are on them. I personally thought FFXIII's last boss was the hardest final Boss out of all Final Fantasys.....but that could of been that I disliked the game so much that I run ran through it and didn't stop to level up once. I'm sure once the game opened up about 3/4 of the way through I could of leveled up and found some weapons to make the final boss easy but I just wanted to be done with it.

I think it took me like 7 tries to beat the final boss.....I almost threw in the towel but I have to maintain the title of passing every final fantasy game.

well that's good to know solidifies my resolve to not buy a ps3 until games I want are on them. I personally thought FFXIII's last boss was the hardest final Boss out of all Final Fantasys.....but that could of been that I disliked the game so much that I run ran through it and didn't stop to level up once. I'm sure once the game opened up about 3/4 of the way through I could of leveled up and found some weapons to make the final boss easy but I just wanted to be done with it.

I think it took me like 7 tries to beat the final boss.....I almost threw in the towel but I have to maintain the title of passing every final fantasy game.

That's why you level up.... I bought a PSP just so I could play Valkyrie Chronicles 2 and some other FF rereleases... I haven't even bought VC2 and have no thought on when I will... too much backlog and not a good use of money currently.

That's why you level up.... I bought a PSP just so I could play Valkyrie Chronicles 2 and some other FF rereleases... I haven't even bought VC2 and have no thought on when I will... too much backlog and not a good use of money currently.

I know about backlog I have a ton of games to play and no time to play them....But if you ever gain time to utilize your PSP purchase here are my favorite in order of legendaryness.

Persona 3 Portable
Jeanne D'arc
Yggdra Union
Tactics Ogre
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
Star Ocean: First Departure
Disgaea 2

I know about backlog I have a ton of games to play and no time to play them....But if you ever gain time to utilize your PSP purchase here are my favorite in order of legendaryness.

Persona 3 Portable
Jeanne D'arc
Yggdra Union
Tactics Ogre
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
Star Ocean: First Departure
Disgaea 2

Lol thanks for the list, but I don't count on it... I am just hoping to finish AC brotherhood and then Star Ocean Last Hope before FFXIII-2 comes out... fat chance with my current lack of gaming motivation... I already own the ones in bold and they are also, semi-backloggish... spent too much time fooling around with demos from JPN PSN

Lol thanks for the list, but I don't count on it... I am just hoping to finish AC brotherhood and then Star Ocean Last Hope before FFXIII-2 comes out... fat chance with my current lack of gaming motivation... I already own the ones in bold and they are also, semi-backloggish... spent too much time fooling around with demos from JPN PSN

I was really digging Last Hope at first but it really started to fall short towards mid game for me......and I was Playing on my xbox so I had to endure some of the worst voice acting ever it got so bad I couldn't bring myself to continue playing. SO3 was complete gold though.

I don't mean to threadjack, but is there any chance of seeing any special sale bundles/price drops in the next week or two, or is $250 the lowest its gonna be? I'm thinking about picking one up as well but I missed out on the $199 deal on Black Friday.

MAybe, you never know. Either way, it's only $50 difference...

Ps3 is good for Blu-Ray and 1st party titles

Mcdonalds is good for Big Macs and french fries.

I like Gran Turismo and God of War ps games.

I don't think PS3 is good for Blu-Rays because you will blow 90-100+ watts on a PS3 running a movie, where as if you buy a stand alone Blu Ray player it would use 10-20 watts.

So yeah a PS3 is 5x-10x as inefficient electrically as just a regular Blu Ray players and a stand alone Blu Ray player will conserve much more energy than a PS3 which has to run all kinds of extra IC's etc.

So instead of wasting more coal plant and power plant energy (watching bad corporate made movies on your PS3's Blu Ray machine) which just leads to more mercury in the atmosphere which leads to more acid rain which ends up EVERYWHERE on the planet when it rains and then the fish and animals drink the mercury filled rain and we eat the fish and animals and get CANCERS YIPPEE FOR PS3!! PS3 is awesome!

Last edited:

I don't think PS3 is good for Blu-Rays because you will blow 90-100+ watts on a PS3 running a movie, where as if you buy a stand alone Blu Ray player it would use 10-20 watts.

So yeah a PS3 is 5x-10x as inefficient electrically as just a regular Blu Ray players and a stand alone Blu Ray player will conserve much more energy than a PS3 which has to run all kinds of extra IC's etc.

So instead of wasting more coal plant and power plant energy (watching bad corporate made movies on your PS3's Blu Ray machine) which just leads to more mercury in the atmosphere which leads to more acid rain which ends up EVERYWHERE on the planet when it rains and then the fish and animals drink the mercury filled rain and we eat the fish and animals and get CANCERS YIPPEE FOR PS3!! PS3 is awesome!

let me know how that blu-ray player update thing comes along...So far the PS3 is the longest lasting one in terms of regular updates.......

Not everyone cares about power usage as I am not going to go out and spend an extra $150 for a decent blu-ray player because it uses less energy than my PS3 does while at the same time offering inferior java performance and PQ....lawl.....wouldn't even make my money back on it before it broke most likely...

so by all means get back into your prius and continue along your way......

Yea baby, get a stand alone Blu-ray player and save the planet!

I'm thinking of getting a PS3 as well. I'd play Dark Souls if I had one. Uncharted looks too scripted for my taste. At least UC3 does. I might dig Metal Gear 4. I loved MGS 3, it is one of my all time favorite console games.

By this logic, wouldn't it be better to purchase a single device that handles both gaming and Blu Ray playback? Surely having one less device in the world would help out more than a small increase of power usage causing acid rain and killing everyone :p

so by all means get back into your prius and continue along your way......

Yea baby, get a stand alone Blu-ray player and save the planet!

HAHA I have a Corvette, that means 8 cylinders :p Or 2-3MPG when I floor it on my digital guages, and pass you d-bags !

Alot more fun than your stupid PS3's running d-bag corporate movies while you snack on refined foods and fart in yo couchie wowchie all day. Frito cheeto, PS3 gamer boiz hehe ;)

Everyones funny in this thread :)

By this logic, wouldn't it be better to purchase a single device that handles both gaming and Blu Ray playback? Surely having one less device in the world would help out more than a small increase of power usage causing acid rain and killing everyone :p

To bad, the lazy d-bags I see using PS3's like the one's in this thread, just end up leaving the PS3 on all nite after they drink beer then whack off to porn on it in their mommas house.

PS3 owners are real losers, I understand you don't get the idea.

Plus I've walked through wall mart or costco or whatever stupid corporate store you buy your corporate crap movies from, and seen Blu Ray players for under 75. You know the place your mom buys your cheetos, knock off cheepo brand alcohol, ice cream treats, pizza rolls, pop tarts and TV dinners etc. from. :D Yeah brah, that one. Peace...

To bad, the lazy d-bags I see using PS3's like the one's in this thread, just end up leaving the PS3 on all nite after they drink beer then whack off to porn on it in their mommas house.

PS3 owners are real losers, I understand you don't get the idea.

Plus I've walked through wall mart or costco or whatever stupid corporate store you buy your corporate crap movies from, and seen Blu Ray players for under 75. You know the place your mom buys your cheetos, knock off cheepo brand alcohol, ice cream treats, pizza rolls, pop tarts and TV dinners etc. from. :D Yeah brah, that one. Peace...

cool story brah.

I just sold my 360 (found myself not playing it much anymore, mostly PC gaming) and am starting to think about grabbing a PS3 as well. But I have this nagging feeling that PS4 will be announced soon...

Back