On paper GPU in Xbox Series X faster than RTX 2080 Super

I will buy one but I don't like the frame rate and resolution being left up to the developer. It always has and I think most developers have put their priorities in the wrong place.

I have a 20' HDMI cable running from my desk to my TV. I rarely play on my monitor anymore since I got my 65" OLED. Just need a 3080ti with HDMI 2.1 finally.

The problem I found with that is that it is a PITA to get the computer to seamlessly switch back and forth between two different video and audio setups. Like I can do it, I have a fiber optic HDMI cable that goes to my living room, but I rarely used it because I always had to mess around to get it to configure everything correctly and then back again. I guess if I never used my PC in my office it would be fine, but then I'd just move it to the living room. As it stands I still mostly want to use the PC in the office, just sometimes game on the TV, and an Xbox works nice for that because it is simple.

Plus some games are better designed for TV gaming on a console than on a PC. You can see that with Diablo 3. It's interface, size of visuals, etc are different form PC to console. The PC version is what I'd prefer on my PC, but the console version is much nicer on the couch.

Can't argue with that, some games (to me) are more enjoyable on a console in front of my TV while sitting on the coach. Others are more enjoyable at the desk with a mouse & keyboard.

And yes, my PC lives at my desk.
Am I the only person who has a PC hooked up to their TV? Mine runs Linux Mint and has two wireless Xbox 360 controllers and even uses the WiiMote for Wii games. I still use a mouse and keyboard, where the mouse is on my arm chair. I prefer games on my desk but I use the TV too. Also I play Xbox 360 games through an emulator, so that pretty much covers all the Xbox games. PS4 though... I'm still waiting for an emulator.

I have a 20' HDMI cable running from my desk to my TV. I rarely play on my monitor anymore since I got my 65" OLED. Just need a 3080ti with HDMI 2.1 finally.
This I ues my 55 as my monitor once you game on a oled you can't go back to lcd. Can't wait for 4k 120fps these things are so smooth at 120fps it's nuts the g-sync is nice also. Nice upgrade over my old c6b 55 I had

Am I the only person who has a PC hooked up to their TV? Mine runs Linux Mint and has two wireless Xbox 360 controllers and even uses the WiiMote for Wii games. I still use a mouse and keyboard, where the mouse is on my arm chair. I prefer games on my desk but I use the TV too. Also I play Xbox 360 games through an emulator, so that pretty much covers all the Xbox games. PS4 though... I'm still waiting for an emulator.

I do the same. I have a Gamecube/PS2 emulation setup, on xbox one controller. I also have keyboard and mouse, for FPS steam games. I put my old desktop card in the HTPC.

I've given some thought to running an HDMI cable across the house to my main PC, but I'm too lazy. And Steam streaming on my local network.is still not viable for twitch shooters. Otherwise, I would just run a cheap Ryzen APU system.

I need both systems though - I can't seem to get as accurate mousing in FPS from couch view distances. So I play those e on my main rig. But I enjoy3rd-person fighters/platformsers/racers on the TV, so I play out here. Thanks to my OLED's outstanding 1080p upscale, I'm getting by with old GPU just fine for now.

The last consoles I bought was the Wii and a 3ds. I gave up on Nintendo when they decided to super-size their portable (the Switch Lite is still larger than my old 3ds. And you can't soft-mod it either!

I can't really afford a new console right now, but I figure in a few years I'll pick up a PS5 for the titles I'm missing (now that backward-compatibility returns for Sony). Every Xbox title will be coming tio Windows

Last edited:
The new consoles are going to be pretty competitive with current gen GPUs. The next round of PC hardware will surpass them. This is how it always happens. The good news for PC gamers is that the baseline for games getting raised up.

I prefer playing on a console rather than my PC. Everything normally just works easier. While I know I am not getting the higher frame rates or ultra settings of a PC everything else just feels better to me. Like chat. On a console you either have a mic or you don't. On PC even with close friends and even myself sometimes. We will get into a group and then realize one person doesn't have discord or the audio was routed to the wrong thing. Or their mic just isn't working for whatever reason. It's little things like that that annoy me over time. Oh then there's the launchers. I just installed these so they are fresh in my mind. I have Steam, Xbox, GOG, UPlay, Origin, Bethesda, Epic, Blizzard, and Rockstar. I guess I could add GeForce Now and Stadia to that list but I haven't wanted to try the streaming services yet. While I do like competition and I like the sales each one brings, I just don't like having to search for that one game I haven't played in awhile but got at a really good price on _____? Wait was that GOG or a Steam Sale? Oh maybe it was free on Epic. Also, not all launchers are created equal. Discord helps with the chat but then I get friends messaging me on all different launchers.

I get the idea of putting a PC in the living room. I think I may do this more with my new PC build. However, there is something to be said for just powering on a system with your controller and jumping right into a game while chilling on a comfy couch.

Back to the original topic; I am excited for the next gen systems. If the Series X really is on par with a 2080 Super then all the bars will be raised. I wouldn't spend very much on a GPU at the moment. If a $500 console has that kind of performance coming then PC cards will have to either get better or cheaper maybe even both. If not, why would you buy a 2080 for $500+?

If a $500 console has that kind of performance coming then PC cards will have to either get better or cheaper maybe even both. If not, why would you buy a 2080 for $500+?

No console today comes anywhere remotely close to a 2080. So, if buying today and the only options are 2080 or console, then the 2080 is going to be my pick 10 out of 10 times.

The consoles that match the 2080 don't exist. Almost a year from now, the consoles will match the 2080 that came out over two years beforehand. If I were buying at that point and the only options were new gen console or 2080, I think it would be a toss up for me. The longevity of a brand new console would be nice.

The thing is, the choices once these consoles come out isn't $500 console vs $650 2080. It's going to be $650 console vs $650 3080 vs $400 2080. With those options, I'm going to pick the 3080 10 out of 10 times.

If Microsoft loaded some variant of Windows 10 on these consoles and gave it a web browser, wireless keyboard and mouse, and a skype cam - it probably would replace the majority of PCs as we know them.

you have those all today to a degree. Xbox OS is based on Windows 10. It has a web browser, supports keyboard and mouse. And if you have the adapter for the Kinect has a webcam.

No console today comes anywhere remotely close to a 2080. So, if buying today and the only options are 2080 or console, then the 2080 is going to be my pick 10 out of 10 times.

The consoles that match the 2080 don't exist. Almost a year from now, the consoles will match the 2080 that came out over two years beforehand. If I were buying at that point and the only options were new gen console or 2080, I think it would be a toss up for me. The longevity of a brand new console would be nice.

The thing is, the choices once these consoles come out isn't $500 console vs $650 2080. It's going to be $650 console vs $650 3080 vs $400 2080. With those options, I'm going to pick the 3080 10 out of 10 times.

If buying right now I would buy used and/or cheap over a 2080 to hold me over until the 3000 series comes out. Then sell it back off again. If the 3000s are as good as the rumors say then it would be worth the wait.

DirectX DirectStorage to be implemented in the next Xbox

Will this come to PC gaming also?

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/the-xbox-series-x-is-basically-a-monster-gaming-pc/

On the storage side, the Xbox Series X comes with a custom 1TB NVMe solid state drive, which can be doubled by way of a proprietary expansion slot (that's right, memory cards are back). If upgrading the storage with the proprietary slot, Microsoft says speeds will be the same as the speedy internal SSD, so expext those to be expensive. Users can also add an external drive via USB 3.2 to store games on, but it won't run as fast, and you'll have to transfer games to internal memory to actually run them.

One thing that plays into this is what Microsoft is calling Xbox Velocity Architecture. It's a fancy term for what boils down to tighter integration between storage and software, which is optimized for streaming in-game assets.

"This will unlock new capabilities that have never been seen before in console development, allowing 100 GB of game assets to be instantly accessible by the developer.

Usman Pirzada of WccfTech, crunches a few numbers & also plots the flops/$ metric of consoles & current high end GPUs in market !!!

The Xbox Series X with its 12.1 TFLOPs actually beats out some lower clocked variants of the RTX 2080 SUPER! This is the first time that a console has been able to take on the PC high-end market and I think that deserves applause

https://wccftech.com/sony-ps5-vs-xbox-series-x-analysis/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

xbox-series-x-vs-sony-ps5-graphics-performance-2.jpg
xbox-series-x-vs-sony-ps5-graphics-performance-per-dollar-1.jpg

One things for certain is that Nvidia has to drastically up their game if they want sales. Once people buy a console they'll have little reason to spend money on a PC. You can't just offer a 40% faster graphics card for the same price of a console, it has to be drastically lower in price. If the Xbox Series X is $600 then a $500 RTX 3080 won't do.

Usman Pirzada of WccfTech, crunches a few numbers & also plots the flops/$ metric of consoles & current high end GPUs in market !!!

https://wccftech.com/sony-ps5-vs-xbox-series-x-analysis/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

View attachment 231616View attachment 231617
No it isn’t the first time a console was able to take on the high end PC market. The original xbox had a graphics card that was more advanced than the consumer cards at the time of its announcement, as did the xbox360, IIRC, as a long time enthusiast. By the time both consoles came out that was not necessarily true because PC graphics cards had updated or were close to updating in their normal cycles. So not unlike this except there actually is already faster now in the 2080TI.

The CPU, historically, has always been a turd though, relative to what was available on the high end PC market at the time. This time they are releasing a near top shelf gaming CPU that should make a rosier overall console capability. Its arguable that since the earliest days - these will be the most capable console relative to a high end gaming PC, but its not because of the graphics card.

One things for certain is that Nvidia has to drastically up their game if they want sales. Once people buy a console they'll have little reason to spend money on a PC. You can't just offer a 40% faster graphics card for the same price of a console, it has to be drastically lower in price. If the Xbox Series X is $600 then a $500 RTX 3080 won't do.
Won’t matter. Never has.

People will still buy their $800 3080 in the face of $600 full standalone consoles that are 80 or 90% as fast. In the world of possible hobbies - elite system computer gaming is incredibly cheap. Nvidia knows this. Has said as much. Thats why they have been somewhat arbitrarily raising prices the last couple generations.

What other Hobby can you get the best of the best
equipment for 2-3 thousand dollars?

say 9900k and a 2080ti.
$500 and $1200

cars - no!
audio - no!
RC? - no!
off road equipment/jeeps/ATV - no!
camping/RVs - no!
fishing boats or watersports - no!
Music/instruments - no!
On and on it goes

Most hobbies you have to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get to the top echelon if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. I remember a conversation in Micro Center a couple years ago talking to a clerk where he said they had a customer come in who said they wanted the best PC custom PC in the store. He said he had budgeted to spend about $10,000 on his gaming PC. The Micro Center clerk did exactly that and picked out the best/most expensive components in every category, and admitted they went completely over kill on the rig. RAIDed everything, full drive assortment, triple SLI, and the total was still less than $6000 on the maxed out machine. They literally couldn’t make the machine cost more to simply meet the customer’s expectation he had arrived with. Those of us that know PCs know that customer spent about 2-3x too much for almost identical performance.

Customer didn’t know and didn’t care.

Nvidia knows this type of market exists.

Last edited:
Won’t matter. Never has.

People will still buy their $800 3080 in the face of $600 full standalone consoles that are 80 or 90% as fast. In the world of possible hobbies - elite system computer gaming is incredibly cheap. Nvidia knows this. Has said as much. Thats why they have been somewhat arbitrarily raising prices the last couple generations.

What other Hobby can you get the best of the best
equipment for 2-3 thousand dollars?

say 9900k and a 2080ti.
$500 and $1200

cars - no!
audio - no!
RC? - no!
Off Road - no!
camping/RVs - no!
fishing boats - no!
On and on it goes

most hobbies you have to spend Tens of thousands of dollars to get to the top echelon if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. I remember a conversation in Micro Center a couple years ago talking to a clerk there he said they had a customer come in who said they wanted the best PC custom PC in the store. He wanted the most expensive everything and said he had budgeted to spend about $10,000. The Micro Center clerk did exactly that and picked out the best/most expensive components in every category admitted they went completely over kill on the rig. RAIDed everything, full drive assortment, triple SLI, and the total was still less than $6000 on the maxed out machine. They literally couldn’t make the machine cost more to meet the customer’s expectation he had arrived with. Those of us that know PCs know that customer spent about 2-3x too much for almost identical performance.

Customer didn’t know and didn’t care.

It's true I spend more on one car part than my entire PC builds.

Yeah, I agree with what is being said here. Even if the new consoles are better $ to performance than PCs at launch it won't stay that way for long. The consoles have at least a 4 year lifespan and come this time next year PC parts will be FAR better than what is currently getting talked about inside of these systems.

Won’t matter. Never has.

People will still buy their $800 3080 in the face of $600 full standalone consoles that are 80 or 90% as fast.

It seems people are expecting the world from a new APU. A freaking APU. But people are being flopfished, because it won't hold a candle to new dGPUs, let alone be "80-90%" of a 3080.

It doesn't add up: why would AMD give away magical performance to MS and Sony for no profit, when they could fight Nvidia on a shorter timeline by employing in their own retail products?

And its not that "people are dumb and will buy a dGPU instead of a console cuz they have money to burn and don't care".

Last edited:
These magical thinking posts aren't going to age well.

Seems everyone's being flopfished by a new gen of APU - a freaking APU - which won't hold a candle to new dGPUs, let alone be "80-90%" of a 3080. It doesn't add up.

And its not that "people are dumb and will buy a dGPU instead of a console cuz they have money to burn and don't care".

This thread has gotten wacky.
Well then we simply see things differently. As a middle aged man in America, I know lots of people who “foolishly” (to my subjective preference/need) overspend in a hobby they love. Myself included in that lot as others would view my audio hobby/spending.

There are definitely PC gamers that will update their PC regardless of what is happening in the console space, and it will be pretty much regardless of nvidia pricing (within reason)

IF (bold/italic/underline) the xbox series x graphics card is truly as fast as a 2080 super than its completely feasible that in console games with a quite capable CPU, and top shelf storage, we will see 80-90% of a current high end PC gaming machine with a 3080 in it. Launch to launch comparison.
How can that possibly not be true.

You saying a 3080 will be quite obviously more than 20% faster than a 2080 super? Where’d you buy your Crystal Ball?

Besides I’m not arguing PC hardware won’t be purchased if its close in performance. I’m saying PC hardware will be purchased even if it is close in performance to console hardware and even if it is “overpriced”. I’m saying nvidia isn’t scared of the console hardware.

I completely stand opposed to DukeNukemX’s post a couple posts up. I say it doesn't matter. Nvidia doesn’t have to price their next gen cards off what the consoles will do. (So long as next gen nvidia cards are faster and clearly they will be), PC gamers will spend.

Last edited:
Depending on what Nvidia does, I could see the next gen consoles taking a bite out of the 1060 (and there abouts) consumers. A lot of people in the budget side of gaming may flip flop back to consoles. But for the guys on 2070s and up... I would think they would be more willing to double down on PC gaming.

That's not what happened after 2006 when the Xbox 360 and PS3 were released. Those consoles were such a drastic performance increase over their predecessors that PC gaming had flopped for at least a few years until around 2009 or 2010. Graphic cards were stupidly expensive and nobody could run Crysis because the graphic cards needed to do so were relatively expensive. The saving grace of this generation was the GTX 970, which I'm sure was no accident by Nvidia. The GTX 780 Ti was the nearest thing in performance and that was $700, but the GTX 970 released a year later was $330 MSRP.

Will there always be people who buy $800+ graphic cars? Of course but those people make up a very minor percent of PC gamers. A very VERY minor percent. The overwhelming majority spend $250 or less.
I'm sure they do but that won't get them many sales. I'm certain there's going to be a RTX 3080 Ti that'll be over $1k, but I believe even Nvidia isn't stupid enough to allow console gaming to have a massive performance per dollar advantage. There's probably going to be a RTX 3060 or 3070 that'll perform like a RTX 2080Ti for $400 and under, this year. Next year Nvidia will make the equivalent of the GTX 970 for 2021. If they don't then AMD will laugh all the way to the bank because AMD has no reason to produce competitive products for $450 and under. The way AMD sees it, if you want a gaming PC for cheap then buy a PS5 or Xbox Series X. You want a badass toy from them then there's Big Navi.

There's probably going to be a RTX 3060 or 3070 that'll perform like a RTX 2080Ti for $400 and under, this year

Wouldn't the 3060, & 3070 follow the 3080, 3080 ti; hence be released by march-july next year

I think Nvidia will price them low to make it appealing compared to consoles

That's not what happened after 2006 when the Xbox 360 and PS3 were released. Those consoles were such a drastic performance increase over their predecessors that PC gaming had flopped for at least a few years until around 2009 or 2010.
Will there always be people who buy $800+ graphic cars? Of course but those people make up a very minor percent of PC gamers. A very VERY minor percent. The overwhelming majority spend $250 or less.

Show me some data for this. PC gaming didn't have a dark age between 2005 and 2009. I was a PC gamer during that time as were my friends. I also had a 360 and PS3. No PC gamer thought PC gaming was going to die during this era. That was all clickbait articles. There wasn't a lack of PC titles, and there wasn't a lack of PC software or hardware sales. Every console generation people say PC gaming is dying. The only way that will happen in any significant capacity (IMO) is if Microsoft installs a full featured Windows 10 OS on the console - where I can actually replace my PC, and install my steam, or any other game library I have, have full management over the software I install, and the pehripherals, printers, mics, keyboards, mice, etc - Just make it a $600 fully capable PC.

Microsoft could do it. It would be a win for them. They would own pre-built PC sales market outright for years.
I don't know why they don't - but history seems to point they won't.

I've been looking for data to collaborate your opinion on a dark age for gaming during xbox360 or PS3 days and it's just not there. I can't find anything in history to indicate the console release had much impact on PC gaming or sales or market either way during this era. It looks like just a steady increase over time in pretty much all categories except for arcade.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_industry
1584723477443.png

I'm sure they do but that won't get them many sales. I'm certain there's going to be a RTX 3080 Ti that'll be over $1k, but I believe even Nvidia isn't stupid enough to allow console gaming to have a massive performance per dollar advantage. There's probably going to be a RTX 3060 or 3070 that'll perform like a RTX 2080Ti for $400 and under, this year. Next year Nvidia will make the equivalent of the GTX 970 for 2021. If they don't then AMD will laugh all the way to the bank because AMD has no reason to produce competitive products for $450 and under. The way AMD sees it, if you want a gaming PC for cheap then buy a PS5 or Xbox Series X. You want a badass toy from them then there's Big Navi.

What you are saying in the highlighted part I agree with. But that's normal NVidia progression - you are saying nothing outlandish or unique. Each cycle generally the 0010 place holder creeps up one level of performance closer to the previous cycles performance. 1060 is generally 970 performance levels, 2070 is generally 1080 performance levels etc. AMD will keep making cheaper cards for the budget sector as well as Nvidia. Neither company is going to quit making lower or mid-tier market segment products when the 2020 consoles come out.

As to the majority of the market segment only buying $200-$250 level performance - that is gradually changing as demographic age of gamers increases. Nvidia knows that. That's why prices have been going up. Because they can - and their customers will still buy them. Gamers are no longer 20 somethings in college with no money. Gamers now encompass middle upper class 40 year olds who spent 5%, 15%, 15% of their income on hobbies without too much concern. Nvidia wants to be known as the premium gaming experience, and can and will charge accordingly for that.

I absolutely disagree with this part of your previous post:

You can't just offer a 40% faster graphics card for the same price of a console, it has to be drastically lower in price. If the Xbox Series X is $600 then a $500 RTX 3080 won't do.

A $500 3080 will sell far better than a $800 2080 did...even if the 2020 Xbox Series X is $600.

Last edited:

View attachment 231616View attachment 231617
This clickbait trash, without a hint of critical thinking attached...

(not picking on you for sharing, Marees)

Consider that AMD has never produced a GPU whose theoretical performance as measured in raw compute that has been anywhere near as competitive with an Nvidia GPU with similar compute when it comes to gaming.

Put another way, relative to AMD GPUs, Nvidia GPUs are usually significantly faster for gaming than their raw compute would imply.

This has actually been a point of criticism leveled at AMD: that they keep making 'fatter' GPUs that are less suited for gaming and selling them as gaming cards.

Vega and Radeon VII were never optimized for gaming. Polaris was suboptimized; Navi as we've seen it isn't optimized either.

Until we see an example of such, comparisons based solely on raw compute that do not take into account the basic architectural approaches that each company has toward GPU hardware is fallacious.

I spend more on ammo in a year than I did for my 2080 Ti. At least I can use my Ti over and over without reloading. Gotta keep buying that ammo and listening to the beautiful sound of lead on steel.
Happiness is warm and belt-fed, brother (or sister)!

Xbox series X developer Martin Fuller compares XboxX with mesh shading to RTX 2080 ti

https://www.pcgamer.com/xbox-series-x-dev-teases-juicy-amd-rdna-2-gpu-performance/

Before we all get too carried away, it's worth noting that Mesh Shaders aren't really in use right now, and so Nvidia hasn't optimized those paths yet, whereas this is obviously a key technology for the new Xbox and a lot of work is going into get the most from that hardware. This also isn't a straight apples for apples comparison either, as the Xbox Series X is using 256 SIMD waves, while the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti is using just 32 SIMD waves. Still, it looks like we may finally have a decent fight on our hands when RDNA 2 hits the PC later this year

This clickbait trash, without a hint of critical thinking attached...

(not picking on you for sharing, Marees)

Consider that AMD has never produced a GPU whose theoretical performance as measured in raw compute that has been anywhere near as competitive with an Nvidia GPU with similar compute when it comes to gaming.

Put another way, relative to AMD GPUs, Nvidia GPUs are usually significantly faster for gaming than their raw compute would imply.

This has actually been a point of criticism leveled at AMD: that they keep making 'fatter' GPUs that are less suited for gaming and selling them as gaming cards.

Vega and Radeon VII were never optimized for gaming. Polaris was suboptimized; Navi as we've seen it isn't optimized either.

Until we see an example of such, comparisons based solely on raw compute that do not take into account the basic architectural approaches that each company has toward GPU hardware is fallacious.

While I agree that the article isn't great, there are two issues with your statements

1) Navi and Turing aren't that far off when it comes to perf/flops. 5700XT has 10% more Tflops and performs 10% worse compared to 2070 Super. So they've reduced that perf/tflops gap significantly compared to previous generations eg. Vega 64 has 20% more tflops compared to 5700XT and performs 25% worse. Plus, RDNA2 looks set to reduce that gap further.

2) Consoles usually use almost all of the available compute power. Look at what the PS4 does with what, a HD5830? That architecture was terrible when it came to the perf/tflops metric, yet consoles used all of it. Games are designed for the two consoles in mind and extract whatever it can get out of the console. In that regard, don't be surprised if in reality the Xbox X performs right in line with the 2080 Ti, even though the 2080 Ti has almost 20% more Tflops at its disposal.

Granted there are other factors at play, Tflops only show the performance of the vector alu but its pretty funny how many people are just dismissing the GPU in the Xbox X saying oh usual amd garbage it cant use its tflops etc. It has 20% more theoretical performance compared to the 5700 XT. Put that, plus RDNA2 improvements per Tflop, and the fact that games will be much better optimized for it and you get what? A 2080 Ti at the least. For a console, that's mighty impressive especially if it sells for anything under $700.

It's true I spend more on one car part than my entire PC builds.
I don't know about that. My PC priced out including all additional equipment (displays, peripherals, audio, etc.) is over $6k USD. The adjustable H&R coilovers I purchased a couple years ago were about $1.6k. I want to buy a new turbo this year and even that is only going to cost a third as much as my PC.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($528.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X72 Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $179.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($189.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 Memory ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $349.99)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $399.99)
Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($349.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($1199.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe TG ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $149.99)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($153.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Drive (Purchased For $49.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound BlasterX AE-5 Sound Card ($150.40 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG27UQ 27.0" 3840x2160 144 Hz Monitor ($1299.00 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard ($129.99 @ Best Buy)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For $49.99)
Headphones: Astro A40 7.1 Channel Headset (Purchased For $99.99)
Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 505 W 5.1 Channel Speakers (Purchased For $399.99)
External Storage: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2 TB External Hard Drive
Total: $6339.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-26 15:47 EDT-0400

I don't know about that. My PC priced out including all additional equipment (displays, peripherals, audio, etc.) is over $6k USD. The adjustable H&R coilovers I purchased a couple years ago were about $1.6k. I want to buy a new turbo this year and even that is only going to cost a third as much as my PC.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($528.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X72 Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $179.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($189.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $349.99)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $399.99)
Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($349.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($1199.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe TG ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $149.99)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($153.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Drive (Purchased For $49.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound BlasterX AE-5 Sound Card ($150.40 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG27UQ 27.0" 3840x2160 144 Hz Monitor ($1299.00 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard ($129.99 @ Best Buy)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For $49.99)
Headphones: Astro A40 7.1 Channel Headset (Purchased For $99.99)
Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 505 W 5.1 Channel Speakers (Purchased For $399.99)
External Storage: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2 TB External Hard Drive
Total: $6339.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-26 15:47 EDT-0400

That's a wicked system. Similar to mine but better. Why the 1TB HDD though? My HRE's were almost $15,000CAD with tires.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
1) Navi and Turing aren't that far off when it comes to perf/flops. 5700XT has 10% more Tflops and performs 10% worse compared to 2070 Super. So they've reduced that perf/tflops gap significantly compared to previous generations eg. Vega 64 has 20% more tflops compared to 5700XT and performs 25% worse. Plus, RDNA2 looks set to reduce that gap further.
The 'issue' here is that AMD must also include RT hardware, meaning that your comparison between Navi and Turing is missing a significant variable.
2) Consoles usually use almost all of the available compute power. Look at what the PS4 does with what, a HD5830? That architecture was terrible when it came to the perf/tflops metric, yet consoles used all of it. Games are designed for the two consoles in mind and extract whatever it can get out of the console. In that regard, don't be surprised if in reality the Xbox X performs right in line with the 2080 Ti, even though the 2080 Ti has almost 20% more Tflops at its disposal.
I don't disagree with the premise, but again, this is AMDs first untested run of RT hardware. Best case, they're more efficient than Turing by some small fraction. Most likely, based on the entirety of AMDs GPU history? They're a not insignificant fraction behind.

A reality check on the paper in the OP would indicate that the new Xbox will be slower than a 2080Ti, and likely by quite a bit.

Granted there are other factors at play, Tflops only show the performance of the vector alu but its pretty funny how many people are just dismissing the GPU in the Xbox X saying oh usual amd garbage it cant use its tflops etc. It has 20% more theoretical performance compared to the 5700 XT. Put that, plus RDNA2 improvements per Tflop, and the fact that games will be much better optimized for it and you get what? A 2080 Ti at the least. For a console, that's mighty impressive especially if it sells for anything under $700.
AMD builds their hardware toward specific targets, and different targets than Nvidia. This makes sense, given that AMD is desperately fighting for GPU marketshare. They won the console contracts not because they were the best -- but because they were the cheapest, and for the first round, they were absolutely desperate for revenue.

The reality is that, today, a 5700XT + 20% in a console would still fall well short of a 2080Ti for gaming.

That's a wicked system. Similar to mine but better. Why the 1TB HDD though? My HRE's were almost $15,000CAD with tires.
The spinner was inherited from an older build. One thing to keep in mind is that even though that build sheet shows it costing $6.3k that cost was spread out over several years. I bought those speakers brand new in 2005, for example. Unfortunately my disposable income isn't at the level of being able to afford a nice set of multipiece wheels like that. The dream wheels for my current car are $4k USD a piece.

Isn't it pretty common for consoles to have specs better than high end gaming PCs at launch? IIRC the Xbox 360 was also faster than most high end GPUs or PCs entirely when it shipped.

The xbox one and PS4 were the first consoles I recall the specs being underwelling because they were only on par with mid grade gaming PCs when they launched. At the time it gave them a decent boost over the current gen without having to use expensive hardware. They can't get another decent boost now without going high end again or waiting a few more years for midrange to catch up.

Isn't it pretty common for consoles to have specs better than high end gaming PCs at launch? IIRC the Xbox 360 was also faster than most high end GPUs or PCs entirely when it shipped.

The xbox one and PS4 were the first consoles I recall the specs being underwelling because they were only on par with mid grade gaming PCs when they launched. At the time it gave them a decent boost over the current gen without having to use expensive hardware. They can't get another decent boost now without going high end again or waiting a few more years for midrange to catch up.
No, the Xbox 360 was an outlier, and it was only more powerful for about 6 months before new PC hardware started coming out that surpassed it. For reference: Intel's Core 2 lineup came out in July 2006 and the 8800 GTX came out November 2006, while the Xbox 360 came out November 2005. There is a chart somewhere illustrating this.

The spinner was inherited from an older build. One thing to keep in mind is that even though that build sheet shows it costing $6.3k that cost was spread out over several years. I bought those speakers brand new in 2005, for example. Unfortunately my disposable income isn't at the level of being able to afford a nice set of multipiece wheels like that. The dream wheels for my current car are $4k USD a piece.

Those speakers are awesome I had them in 2005 or something like that.

The 'issue' here is that AMD must also include RT hardware, meaning that your comparison between Navi and Turing is missing a significant variable.

I don't disagree with the premise, but again, this is AMDs first untested run of RT hardware. Best case, they're more efficient than Turing by some small fraction. Most likely, based on the entirety of AMDs GPU history? They're a not insignificant fraction behind.

A reality check on the paper in the OP would indicate that the new Xbox will be slower than a 2080Ti, and likely by quite a bit.

AMD builds their hardware toward specific targets, and different targets than Nvidia. This makes sense, given that AMD is desperately fighting for GPU marketshare. They won the console contracts not because they were the best -- but because they were the cheapest, and for the first round, they were absolutely desperate for revenue.

The reality is that, today, a 5700XT + 20% in a console would still fall well short of a 2080Ti for gaming.

RT hardware doesn't get included in the Tflops metrics we are discussing. They have separate ones (gigarays etc). As for RT performance itself, it is definitely an unknown but games should be properly optimized for it.

Also, its not 5700 XT + 20%. Its theoretically 20% faster, plus add in the fact that games are much, much optimized for consoles and RDNA2 will have additional IPC improvements which should directly translate to higher perf/flops. I would wager a guess and say it should be easily 40% faster than 5700 XT which puts it right in 2080Ti category without taking RT into account because, as discussed, its an unknown.

I agree that AMD won the console contracts because of them giving a better deal etc. But that's another topic altogether.

No, the Xbox 360 was an outlier, and it was only more powerful for about 6 months before new PC hardware started coming out that surpassed it. For reference: Intel's Core 2 lineup came out in July 2006 and the 8800 GTX came out November 2006, while the Xbox 360 came out November 2005. There is a chart somewhere illustrating this.
The GPU has some 'special sauce', but the CPU was trash... like most consoles. Really the first Xbox and now the upcoming consoles are exceptions, yet they were and will be slower than what is available on the desktop years prior to release.

Granted the 'special sauce' was helpful for ensuring the 360 wasn't a complete flop graphics-wise, but I'd argue more that the GPU was different than it was more powerful.

RT hardware doesn't get included in the Tflops metrics we are discussing. They have separate ones (gigarays etc). As for RT performance itself, it is definitely an unknown but games should be properly optimized for it.
Sure, but that performance has to be accounted for one way or another. If you're going to compare a non-RT product like the 5700XT, you have to also make some attempt to normalize with RT parts like Turing. Maximum traditional raster performance was absolutely sacrificed for RT in Turing, yet Navi doesn't make that sacrifice.

Also, its not 5700 XT + 20%. Its theoretically 20% faster, plus add in the fact that games are much, much optimized for consoles and RDNA2 will have additional IPC improvements which should directly translate to higher perf/flops. I would wager a guess and say it should be easily 40% faster than 5700 XT which puts it right in 2080Ti category without taking RT into account because, as discussed, its an unknown.
Something to take into account with respect to 'optimizations'; while it is still absolutely true that console games may be more aggressively optimized than on PCs, the advent of Vulcan and DX12 reduces some of this historic benefit, and that's not something that we've really seen the full effect of yet. Most engines today have the low-overhead API support 'hacked' in, rather than being designed for them from the ground up.

I agree that AMD won the console contracts because of them giving a better deal etc. But that's another topic altogether.
AMD would not have given them a 'better deal' if they were in a position to bargain for more. However, with lesser GPU tech and far lesser CPU tech for the One and PS4, they could only command bargain-basement prices. Their only advantage was having both CPU and GPU tech that was at least minimally capable in-house.

They're in a much more technically competitive position today, but their main advantage today is that they supplied the last generation satisfactorily. They're still not the highest performing option, but as consoles aren't built for outright performance first, that's okay.

The GPU has some 'special sauce', but the CPU was trash... like most consoles. Really the first Xbox and now the upcoming consoles are exceptions, yet they were and will be slower than what is available on the desktop years prior to release.

Granted the 'special sauce' was helpful for ensuring the 360 wasn't a complete flop graphics-wise, but I'd argue more that the GPU was different than it was more powerful.

Sure, but that performance has to be accounted for one way or another. If you're going to compare a non-RT product like the 5700XT, you have to also make some attempt to normalize with RT parts like Turing. Maximum traditional raster performance was absolutely sacrificed for RT in Turing, yet Navi doesn't make that sacrifice.

Something to take into account with respect to 'optimizations'; while it is still absolutely true that console games may be more aggressively optimized than on PCs, the advent of Vulcan and DX12 reduces some of this historic benefit, and that's not something that we've really seen the full effect of yet. Most engines today have the low-overhead API support 'hacked' in, rather than being designed for them from the ground up.

AMD would not have given them a 'better deal' if they were in a position to bargain for more. However, with lesser GPU tech and far lesser CPU tech for the One and PS4, they could only command bargain-basement prices. Their only advantage was having both CPU and GPU tech that was at least minimally capable in-house.

They're in a much more technically competitive position today, but their main advantage today is that they supplied the last generation satisfactorily. They're still not the highest performing option, but as consoles aren't built for outright performance first, that's okay.

Sure, maximum raster performance was sacrificed for RT in Turing, which is reflected in its die size. But it doesnt change the performance/flops metric. All I was trying to say is AMD bridged that gap significantly and RDNA2 will reduce it further. Since we don't know RT performance, even with the leaks, its not wise to speculate that at the moment. But we can speculate rasterisation performance.

I agree that DX12/Vulcan reduces some of that historic benefit for sure. But it's still present. I do agree with your final point though, absolutely.

p.s. it feels good to be back in the forums after a decade. I lost my old account/pass but been in the forums since 2003 (i've seen all the drama, ups downs and everything) so it's great to see old timers are still lurking around here, as well as the new ones. Forums seem to be working great.

Last edited:
Sure, maximum raster performance was sacrificed for RT in Turing, which is reflected in its die size. But it doesnt change the performance/flops metric. All I was trying to say is AMD bridged that gap significantly and RDNA2 will reduce it further. Since we don't know RT performance, even with the leaks, its not wise to speculate that at the moment. But we can speculate rasterisation performance.

I agree that DX12/Vulcan reduces some of that historic benefit for sure. But it's still present. I do agree with your final point though, absolutely.

p.s. it feels good to be back in the forums after a decade. I lost my old account/pass but been in the forums since 2003 (i've seen all the drama, ups downs and everything) so it's great to see old timers are still lurking around here, as well as the new ones. Forums seem to be working great.

PM Kyle or one of the mods to get your old account back.

Back