On paper GPU in Xbox Series X faster than RTX 2080 Super

Not to be an asshole, but...
1583530017651.png

https://hardforum.com/threads/xbox-x-series-further-specs-revealed.1993398/

This is why Nvidia needs the modern equivalent of the GTX 970. Microsoft is pushing hard against PC gaming, and they're throwing out everything including AMD's kitchen sink. Nvidia needs a RTX 3070 that costs $350 that performs like a RTX 2080. The average consumer sees the Xbox Series X and they aren't going to buy a $700 graphics card when the console is going to be $500-$600. Though to be honest the average consumer can't pay for a $500-$600 Xbox Series X.

This is why Nvidia needs the modern equivalent of the GTX 970. Microsoft is pushing hard against PC gaming, and they're throwing out everything including AMD's kitchen sink. Nvidia needs a RTX 3070 that costs $350 that performs like a RTX 2080. The average consumer sees the Xbox Series X and they aren't going to buy a $700 graphics card when the console is going to be $500-$600. Though to be honest the average consumer can't pay for a $500-$600 Xbox Series X.

I fully agree on all points you made (just bought a used GTX 1660 Ti and will be selling my currently in use GTX 970 ... a fabulously successful GPU card) but had the Xbox series X been out I still would have bought the 1660 Ti but not if I needed to upgrade my PC (already did that last month or so). Rather, instead of the system/GPU upgrade I might have purchased the new soon to be released Xbox instead especially since the graphics will definitely be exceeding the 1660 Ti I just bought

https://hardforum.com/threads/nvidi...ies-and-20-gb-of-vram.1993377/post-1044509896

This is my thought, not based in any technical/rational analysis but purely based on amateur psycho analysis

Jensen has such a large ego that he can't allow a console to have better GPU

So by next March expect an RTX 3060 with RTX 2080 super level of performance for $350

which implies an RTX 3050 ti, with RTX 2070 super level of performance, by next july for approx $280

I enjoyed winding up Gordon Ma Ung of PC World on this.

He ended up ranting: "Consoles Are BORING"

Watch the video below at 41:48 :)

There was an Endgadget clickbait headline too on the same topic:
Does the Xbox Series X make gaming PCs obsolete?

https://t.co/UbUoU35RZk

Brad Chacos (@BradChacos) Tweeted:
FWIW I didn't read the article but think headlines like that are exactly Gordon was talking about, stoking that argument

https://twitter.com/BradChacos/status/1235744330037358595?s=20

"They (console fans) are attacking Us (PC Gamers)"!!! — exclaims Gordon
Winter is coming...

https://twitter.com/Gordonung/status/1235724077131681792?s=20

Alaina (@morphingball) Tweeted:
FFS, one article isn't going to make people stop buying PCs. Just like all the articles saying we were going to all give up PCs in favor of tablets didn't make us do it.

https://twitter.com/morphingball/status/1235684282015707136?s=20

Last edited:
I just listed my XB1X and PS4 Pro on ebay and ordered the Google Stadia Premier Ed. just to see what the next level of cloud based gaming can do. I still and always will use my PC as a workstation and a gaming rig. I don't know what this has to do with anything. #Please Delete

It is going to need to perform better than an RTX 2080. As someone with an RTX 2070, I'm not going to spend $350 on such a small upgrade. It needs to perform closer to a 2080ti if not reach parity.

This has been the dGPU doomsday argument for every new console generation. Yet here we are. Fear mongering.

Even I'm smart enough for this one guys.

It's rarely about just the performance. The "it's an old card" argument would hold true if the three year old card wasn't more than the ENTIRE console.
Partially to blame here is the hope some people have that thru the Xbox, magically, a Nvidia slaying cheap AMD GPU will appear.

Partially to blame here is the hope some people have that thru the Xbox, magically, a Nvidia slaying cheap AMD GPU will appear.

Proof? I have seen no indication of that occurring, except by Nvidia fans.

Even I'm smart enough for this one guys.

It's rarely about just the performance. The "it's an old card" argument would hold true if the three year old card wasn't more than the ENTIRE console.

Back in the old days consoles launched with a top end GPU. Xbox 360 was probably the last console to do that though.

But yeah, a top end GPU costs way more now.

Some of you love 3.5GB and what amounted to a scam.
Yea that was a terrible scam but the GPU was still awesome. You had a $330 graphics card with 3.5GB of VRAM that can do 1080P games at 60 fps with max settings, and was only 10% slower than the GTX 980. If I had to choose the top 5 worst GPU's for the past 10 years, I'd put the GTX 970 at #2, with the RTX cards at #1. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy these cards, it just means they had an issue.

Once again, FLOPS ≠ gaming performance or 3D performance.
These articles are beyond ignorant; I'm not directing that comment at the OP, just the article itself.
You're right but... this is a metric that people will always compare against GPU's. You can't sell a RTX 2080 for $700 which has 11.3 Tflops against a Xbox Series X for $600 that has 12 Tflops. No matter what, JoeSixPack is going to go with the Xbox Series X because it has more Tflops.

It is going to need to perform better than an RTX 2080. As someone with an RTX 2070, I'm not going to spend $350 on such a small upgrade. It needs to perform closer to a 2080ti if not reach parity.
I agree but Nvidia is pretty greedy. For Nvidia's interests they should make the RTX 3070 perform like a 2080Ti, but yea. Something to keep in mind is that the Radeon HD 7850 which is the nearest approximation of the PS4's GPU was $250 at MSRP, and that was in 2012. Here we are in 2020 where later this year Sony and Microsoft are about to release their new consoles and neither AMD or Nvidia have anything near that level of performance for $350 let alone $250. A Vega 64 is a 12 Tflop GPU but we all know that isn't a fast gaming GPU.

I just listed my XB1X and PS4 Pro on ebay and ordered the Google Stadia Premier Ed. just to see what the next level of cloud based gaming can do. I still and always will use my PC as a workstation and a gaming rig. I don't know what this has to do with anything. #Please Delete
Stadia is actually not bad. I mean, for certain games it's very nice. I liked GYLT a lot. However, Metro was unplayable for me. Too much lag. Tomb Raider was okay, I think the third person perspective is more forgiving.

If Microsoft loaded some variant of Windows 10 on these consoles and gave it a web browser, wireless keyboard and mouse, and a skype cam - it probably would replace the majority of PCs as we know them.

Yea if they allowed that it would be a game changer. I would think it fits their strategy too but who knows.

It would be the only way I buy a Series X tbh. I have a 9900k/2080Ti and all their titles are coming to PC, but to be able to just buy two Series Xs and install windows on them and give them to the kids instead of building them PCs would make it something I’d buy.

Personally, I am buying this on day one and very much looking forward to it. If someone wants to choose or limit themselves to one platform or the other, that is their choice but for me, I do both XBox and PC.

I mean they both offer the same titles? One for the living room?

I mean they both offer the same titles? One for the living room?
I honestly don't see the reason to own a Xbox if you have a gaming PC. At least the PlayStations has great exclusives. Sure the next Xbox will be better then my 1080ti but I will be putting that $500 towards a 3080ti when released.

I honestly don't see the reason to own a Xbox if you have a gaming PC. At least the PlayStations has great exclusives. Sure the next Xbox will be better then my 1080ti but I will be putting that $500 towards a 3080ti when released.

I wouldn't want to lug my PC down from my office to the living room when I feel like playing on the 60". Xbox solves this solution very nicely.

Personally, I am buying this on day one and very much looking forward to it. If someone wants to choose or limit themselves to one platform or the other, that is their choice but for me, I do both XBox and PC.

Can't argue with that, some games (to me) are more enjoyable on a console in front of my TV while sitting on the coach. Others are more enjoyable at the desk with a mouse & keyboard.

And yes, my PC lives at my desk.

On paper I'm 6'4" if I'm the one writing. My wife is so very happy to point out that I'm barely 5' in the real world.

Last edited:
Back