On a tight budget, what is the best OCing board for 1155?

hardly

Gawd
Alright, I just sold my old board on ebay and I'm going to be pulling the trigger on a new board in the next day or two. My budget is around $150-155ish. I can stretch it a hair if I NEED to. I have a single GPU and I don't intend to do crossfire or anything later, at least not on this platform. What would [H] have me buy?

It really depends on which features you want as a majority (if not all) P67 boards will get you where you want to go. The only things that may be a deciding factor is the ability to stretch the BCLK and how well the CPU you get can overclock.

I've heard good things about the ASRock and the BIOSTAR boards. Gigabyte doesn't have UEFI yet but they have recently switched over to a hybrid that provides the old layout with the UEFI framework. Its only a matter of time before they offer a nicer GUI if thats your thing.

I could care less about the UEFI stuff, I'm perfectly fine with the old bios system that I've been using for the last 5ish years. Can only certain boards handle higher bclk or is that a CPU thing?

Newegg has the Biostar TP67+ or whatever open box for under $100. I'm looking for something that can take a 2500k to over 4.5ghz, or else I might as well stay at x58.

I could care less about the UEFI stuff, I'm perfectly fine with the old bios system that I've been using for the last 5ish years. Can only certain boards handle higher bclk or is that a CPU thing?

Newegg has the Biostar TP67+ or whatever open box for under $100. I'm looking for something that can take a 2500k to over 4.5ghz, or else I might as well stay at x58.

BCLK is a CPU issue, since the clock generator is on die now. No board has been able, to my knowledge, to let you get more than 3-5 MHz on the BCLK.

At least one person in newegg reviews for the MSI board mentioned they are running at 4.5 GHz, so you should be good for that.

Using the Auto OC on my Sabertooth pushed my BCLK up to 103MHz and got me up to 4.43GHz without a fuss. Pretty surprised at how well that works actually.

4.5GHz seems to be the average that many aim for when overclocking the Sandy Bridge parts. For the most part, they all reach this level with relative ease unless you get a completely bum chip that refuses to go very far.

Unless you do something where max cpu speed or heat is pretty important with money tight I would ride out out your x58 until a 22nm 6core 12 thread ivy bridge. in 9ish months. It'll be some years before that seems slow. At the very least I would wait for z68 in May or summer to see what bulldozer does to perf/prices.

I was in a core2 so January Sandy Bridge was a great time to upgrade for me. I also upped it to 16gb of ram for 150$. Just some thoughts but I certainly understand the pull of "the new-faster-shiny." I would have loved to wait for ivy but no way was I going to be using my core2 through Christmas 2011 gaming.

BCLK is a CPU issue, since the clock generator is on die now. No board has been able, to my knowledge, to let you get more than 3-5 MHz on the BCLK.

At least one person in newegg reviews for the MSI board mentioned they are running at 4.5 GHz, so you should be good for that.

And that's with some serious voltage being pumped through the processor.

Ex:

4.8GHz @ BCLK 102.2 and Multi x47 requires more voltage than...
4.8GHz @ BCLK 100.0 and Multi x48

The results are the same, but more vCore voltage is required, as well as possibly having to up the VCCSA voltage.

Perhaps someone can help me out; the P8p67 looks like it's a nicer board, but the GD65 looks like a solid overclocker. It seems the Asus board however OCs using the turbo boost multiplier? How does OCing differ on these two boards? Setting aside the EFI bios, are the boards equal when looking at OCing?

Back