OMG why is Win10 install still glitchy! need help!

AnIgnorantPerson

Limp Gawd
Holy crap they still haven't fixed the glitchy ass installer. So I am installing on an old Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB Win 10 Pro.

I first just threw the drive in and formated it inside Win10 install window and got the stupid 0x80300024 error. So i pulled out the SSD and cleaned and formatted and activated it via dispart in my server. using these method.

diskpart

list disk

*Find the # of the disk corresponding to your USB stick* Then enter:

select disk # (replace # with the appropriate disk number)

clean

convert mbr

create partition primary

select part 1

active

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit

I went back into win10- installer and then it said it was an old outdated ntfs and I had to reformat. WTF! So I tried formating it inside the win10 installed and now getthing the fucking 0x80300024 error again.

Why is this so fucking retarded!!!!

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Seriously how is this not click and done yet?

EDIT: Using a USB install method and have a single extra 8TB drive in the rig.

Also it is a TS440 server.

I also always get this error method but the diskpart always fixes it but this time it says its outdated ntfs???

Last edited:
I install Windows 10 on a weekly basis and I never bother with diskpart to do it and I never have these issues. I generally don't use MBR either.
how do i get past this error? I get this every time I install windows on a freaking SSD. Ussually diskpart method byp[assed it but for win10 i get outdated version

Something's up with your hardware- the Windows 10 installer is braindead easy. Try cables, setting BIOS to stock, etc.

its all stock. usbing a USB to install and have SSD and 1 8TB in system

system is TS440

I added info to OP

EDIT how do you open CMD/diskpart in the installing menu

EDIT: OMFG...I used diskpart in win10 installer and now it works. How the fuck is this still sop glitchy!

you go into troubleshooting section of installer and open CMD and do diskpart method and reboot and it magically works. Christ. How is this so badly coded.

Last edited:
how do i get past this error? I get this every time I install windows on a freaking SSD. Ussually diskpart method byp[assed it but for win10 i get outdated version

system is TS440

I added info to OP

EDIT: OMFG...I used diskpart in win10 installer and now it works. How the fuck is this still sop glitchy!

you go into troubleshooting section of installer and open CMD and do diskpart method and reboot and it magically works. Christ. How is this so badly coded.

TS440 server based hardware, Windows 10 Desktop OS, what could possibly go wrong? :D ;) Have you updated your bios on that system?

TS440 server based hardware, Windows 10 Desktop OS, what could possibly go wrong? :D ;) Have you updated your bios on that system?
working on that. It is just going to be an encrypted Snapraid off site storage. I dont need to waste time with windows server

Dude you are using server hardware and expecting consumer Windows to just work? You have to deal with configuring it to work with JBOD instead of raid, you have to deal with backplane firmware, disk compatibility, bios configuration before installs (and making sure its updated to the point where JBOD will even work correctly), making sure you have it confiured to that it will work with consumer sata drives instead of enterprise sas drives. You are in for a LOT of fun once you finally get Windows installed and have to find drivers for everything.

Its not coded bad. You are trying to force a square peg into a triangle shaped hole.

Dude you are using server hardware and expecting consumer Windows to just work? You have to deal with configuring it to work with JBOD instead of raid, you have to deal with backplane firmware, disk compatibility, bios configuration before installs (and making sure its updated to the point where JBOD will even work correctly), making sure you have it confiured to that it will work with consumer sata drives instead of enterprise sas drives. You are in for a LOT of fun once you finally get Windows installed and have to find drivers for everything.

Its not coded bad. You are trying to force a square peg into a triangle shaped hole.
it worked just fine. I just had to diskpart in Win10 installer because Win10 is retarded and says diskpart from Win7 Pro has an outdated NTFS (wtf is an outdated NTFS???). It is a simple sata port on the MB. I have it set at ACHI or whatever in BIOS.

Also I have this problem every time I install win 7 Pro since SSDs became a thing (HDDs dont ahve this issue for some reason) where it kicks out 0x80300024 error. Shit tons of people get this stupid error which is why people have made diskpart guides. Maybe you are just lucky to not have that issue but its super common. Just go google about it. I just figured they would have fixed the installer for Win10 but i guess not.

And Win10 saying HDD has an outdated NTFS version :eek: is not a hardware issue...thats straight up trashy windows programming :shifty:

guides like this have been around ever since SSDs because that error is common on SSDs and not HDDs. I forget the exact reason Win installer can't work right with SSDs but there was a technical reason for the glitch.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...an-nvme-ssd-from-a-usb-3-0-thumbdrive.783921/

Here is another post on Microsoft's own forum thingy
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...-2019-4146-b9dd-40034d984c43/error-0x80300024

Last edited:
Are you booting in UEFI mode and trying to install to an MBR partitioned drive? UEFI requires a GPT partitioned drive.

There's also a EFI partition that's needed for Windows to be able to boot as UEFI cannot read NTFS volumes to find a boot loader. If that's missing and there's no room at the beginning of the drive to put one, then Windows can't install.

Clean the drive again. Do not create any partitions or partition tables. Let Windows create the partitions it needs. You'll likely have no more problems.

Are you booting in UEFI mode and trying to install to an MBR partitioned drive? UEFI requires a GPT partitioned drive.

There's also a EFI partition that's needed for Windows to be able to boot as UEFI cannot read NTFS volumes to find a boot loader. If that's missing and there's no room at the beginning of the drive to put one, then Windows can't install.

Clean the drive again. Do not create any partitions or partition tables. Let Windows create the partitions it needs. You'll likely have no more problems.
I said this several times already. Windows installer never works with formatting and partitioning a drive even when clean. I have always had to use diskpart. The built-in method always kicks out errors either 0x80300024 or it says something about an issue with partition. I have never had an SSD actually work with windows installer with formatting inside the installer. Always must use diskpart. It only works for HDDs.

I have installed windows probably 30 times on 8 different types of SSDs and it never works unless i use diskpart to prime the drive.

This is a hugely common issue. How do you not know about this?

Thats the error message I always get. I always have to use diskpart no matter what. Except for HDDs. They always work. Not sure why.
"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition"

https://druss.co/2014/07/fixed-setu...installing-windows-8-18-7-vista-etc-from-usb/

Last edited:
You are trying to force a square peg into a triangle shaped hole.
Just to take this the other way around (trying to force triangle peg into a square hole) - I install Windows Servers on quite a few consumer hardwares. Absolutely no issues apart from few particular drivers sometimes, after the installation.
I assume there will be cases of installer malfunctions depending on particular combinations of hardware, BIOS and drivers etc. but for the most part there is no artificial reason you can't install any windows on any supported (by the sane timeframed) platform. MBR, UEFI, GPT or CSM, no issues so far.

dummies.jpg

server dummy.jpg

I said this several times already. Windows installer never works with formatting and partitioning a drive even when clean. I have always had to use diskpart. The built-in method always kicks out errors either 0x80300024 or it says something about an issue with partition. I have never had an SSD actually work with windows installer with formatting inside the installer. Always must use diskpart. It only works for HDDs.

I have installed windows probably 30 times on 8 different types of SSDs and it never works unless i use diskpart to prime the drive.

This is a hugely common issue. How do you not know about this?

Thats the error message I always get. I always have to use diskpart no matter what. Except for HDDs. They always work. Not sure why.
"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition"

https://druss.co/2014/07/fixed-setu...installing-windows-8-18-7-vista-etc-from-usb/

I have installed Windows 10 specifically dozens of times to SSD's (both NVMe and SATA variants) and have never ran into any issues. Then again, I'm not trying to manually created my own partitions as it seems you're trying to do. I use a blank drive, make sure it's the only drive plugged in (or at least disabled the other ports if I'm feeling lazy), and just click install. This lets the Windows installer create the partitions it needs (i.e. EFI System Partition, MS Reserved Partition, Primary OS partition, and the Recovery partition).

Here's why you always install Windows with only one drive plugged in: If you are putting an SSD into a system with an HDD, then more times than I count the HDD will be the first drive listed by the BIOS/UEFI, especially if the SSD is an m.2 drive. Windows will always try to put it's boot loader on the first BIOS drive to ensure that it can start up. If that first drive is already fully allocated, then it can't do that and will give you an error. Even if the installer does find somewhere to put the boot loader on the first drive, then you won't be able to boot if you remove that drive unaware that it's holding the boot loader your system needs to start up with.

From looking at a few of the hits on your specific error, removing or disabling all other drives except the one you're trying to install to has been the resolution each time.

As for the outdated NTFS error: In Windows 10 1709, MS changed the default cluster size from 4KB (64KB max) to 2MB to provide support for much larger volumes and file sizes (up to 8PB). I would guess that some features added in 1709 required that large file size support. There have more than likely been other changes throughout the evolution of Windows since 7 was released 10 years ago.

Yeah, this can be observed as one of the flaws of Windows as a whole, that's why I always too disconnect other drives from the system while installing the OS! ALWAYS.
Also I always partition the drive beforehand mnually. Almost always I define one partition for the OS and any other for data etc. The OS is installed in the only partition in CSM mode. Actually not liking EFI/GPT too much for home use and never had problems with CSM/MBR.

I have installed Windows 10 specifically dozens of times to SSD's (both NVMe and SATA variants) and have never ran into any issues. Then again, I'm not trying to manually created my own partitions as it seems you're trying to do. I use a blank drive, make sure it's the only drive plugged in (or at least disabled the other ports if I'm feeling lazy), and just click install. This lets the Windows installer create the partitions it needs (i.e. EFI System Partition, MS Reserved Partition, Primary OS partition, and the Recovery partition).

Here's why you always install Windows with only one drive plugged in: If you are putting an SSD into a system with an HDD, then more times than I count the HDD will be the first drive listed by the BIOS/UEFI, especially if the SSD is an m.2 drive. Windows will always try to put it's boot loader on the first BIOS drive to ensure that it can start up. If that first drive is already fully allocated, then it can't do that and will give you an error. Even if the installer does find somewhere to put the boot loader on the first drive, then you won't be able to boot if you remove that drive unaware that it's holding the boot loader your system needs to start up with.

From looking at a few of the hits on your specific error, removing or disabling all other drives except the one you're trying to install to has been the resolution each time.

As for the outdated NTFS error: In Windows 10 1709, MS changed the default cluster size from 4KB (64KB max) to 2MB to provide support for much larger volumes and file sizes (up to 8PB). I would guess that some features added in 1709 required that large file size support. There have more than likely been other changes throughout the evolution of Windows since 7 was released 10 years ago.
I am assume this is the source of the issue because I am using a USB installer and in BIOS it is the first drive, which is probably why I have to always use diskpart? That is still terrible coding because that shouldn't be an issue. :confused:

Interesting its such an old file system I am surprised it was updated.

Diskpart to install Windows?

Just clean the disk and leave it and windows 10 will take care of everything for you.

Besides it needs 3 or 4 partitions

I am assume this is the source of the issue because I am using a USB installer and in BIOS it is the first drive, which is probably why I have to always use diskpart? That is still terrible coding because that shouldn't be an issue. :confused:

Interesting its such an old file system I am surprised it was updated.

I should have said first non-removable drive. Any USB attached drives should never be selected as the boot drive.

Just clean the disk and leave it and windows 10 will take care of everything for you.

I'm still wondering if 'dialing it back to stupid' wouldn't help the OP myself.

I've not had a problem installing Windows to SSDs- but I've also not tried to install a consumer version of Windows onto a consumer SSD in workstation-grade hardware.

I'm still wondering if 'dialing it back to stupid' wouldn't help the OP myself.

I've not had a problem installing Windows to SSDs- but I've also not tried to install a consumer version of Windows onto a consumer SSD in workstation-grade hardware.

same it's the same installer AFAIK as windows 7 and the only time it threw a fit was because i was missing a storage driver on a newer AMD system.

system is TS440

I added info to OP

Use the latest installer and you shouldn't have a problem. SSD's aren't new and the process to install on an SSD is pretty straight forward. I use the regular installer to partition the disk and install to it. There is nothing special and nothing I have to get past regardless of the chipset. I have no idea what you are doing to cause this issue.

No issues here using the W10 USB installer, actually installed W10 on an iMac theother day, was the same steps I use on Windows hardware...boot from USB and when the installer gets to the drive selection point, DELETE the partitions leaving a blank drive, choose that drive and let the installer make the partitions/formatting

Back