OMG I'm so sick of this 680i crapbox

If yours is working for you, then great. On a personal note I didn't push mine any harder than anyone else I don't think. I've had these things die with no overclock, minor overclocks and major overclocks. I really started having problems with them dying after I got a Q6600. After I started overclocking the quad core that's when things really got tough. The board I have with a dual core E6600 is still running like a champ.

Any theory on why the Q6600 was frying boards whereas the E6600 would run fine??

Any theory on why the Q6600 was frying boards whereas the E6600 would run fine??

Increased voltage demands placed on the motherboard hardware due to increased power requirements of the Q6600 over the E6600 are likely to blame. The E6600 has a TDP of 65watts and the Q6600 has a TDP of 105watts.

I have watercooling (MCW30) on the NB and on the SB(unnecessary but still there), it doesnt help. The overvolting and associated increased temp still doesnt decrease the probs with these nvidia chipsets.

Actually if you look at evga forums you will notice the 780i ppl are starting to have the same symptoms as us 680i owners have been having for a long time-- nvidia didnt even fix the problem.. they just dumped another product for revenue upon their customers, untested once again and buggy as shit.

I have watercooling (MCW30) on the NB and on the SB(unnecessary but still there), it doesnt help. The overvolting and associated increased temp still doesnt decrease the probs with these nvidia chipsets.

Actually if you look at evga forums you will notice the 780i ppl are starting to have the same symptoms as us 680i owners have been having for a long time-- nvidia didnt even fix the problem.. they just dumped another product for revenue upon their customers, untested once again and buggy as shit.

I'm not surprised. The 780i SLI is the same chipset with a new companion chip and more sub-standard reference designs.

Oh common MAN TEH 680i SLI ROX!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah they pretty much suck. That's why I have some dead/dying ones hanging on my wall. I've been through so many of those pieces of shit at this point.

Haha pics man.

Haha pics man.

Looks like my ASUS Striker Extreme will be going on the wall. I tried to power the system up to start my dedicated COD4 server and the system wouldn't boot. I've done all the normal trouble shooting stuff and it looks like its' done. It gets stuck on CMOS ERR (LCD POSTER) or it says (MEM TEST) and doesn't go any further.

Recently all the onboard headers on the motherboard, IEEE1394, USB2.0 and audio on the Supreme FXII went out. They wouldn't work at all and I hadn't given the problem much though but it isn't that different than some of the USB problems I've seen on some 680i SLI boards just prior to death. I think the damned thing is borked. So now I've killed 11 of 12 680i SLI motherboards since their release in November 2006.

Looks like my ASUS Striker Extreme will be going on the wall. I tried to power the system up to start my dedicated COD4 server and the system wouldn't boot. I've done all the normal trouble shooting stuff and it looks like its' done. It gets stuck on CMOS ERR (LCD POSTER) or it says (MEM TEST) and doesn't go any further.

Recently all the onboard headers on the motherboard, IEEE1394, USB2.0 and audio on the Supreme FXII went out. They wouldn't work at all and I hadn't given the problem much though but it isn't that different than some of the USB problems I've seen on some 680i SLI boards just prior to death. I think the damned thing is borked. So now I've killed 11 of 12 680i SLI motherboards since their release in November 2006.

Wow. All I can say is wow. That's some rough luck. I'm glad abit made a little better than average board, at least mine, anyways. Still no problems yet. Is your EVGA still alive? What USB problems have you seen?

Just as a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if Abit didn't release a 780i board. I've read some not-so-favorable reviews of it so far, and they had some trouble with quads and the 680i themselves. Their P35 boards, however, have been wildly successful, and have fewer per capita problems. Maybe they just don't want to deal with an nVidia chipset again until there are fewer bugs and common problems. I was hoping the 780i would address some of the problems we've been having with the 680i boards.

On a side note, even with my 3.33GHz overclock, my temps are really good. My inexpensive Arctic cooling freezer 7 is proving more than adequate and is doing a fine job keeping temps low. Logically you would assume that I should be able to push my quad even higher right? Problem is, to get a higher FSB I need to be able to boost some of my voltages a little more. I'm already at the 10x multi, which is the highest for the Q6700, and everything's fine and dandy with current settings, but the second I increase a voltage, especially the CPU VTT (which theoretically can help processor overclocks a TON!), I lose all stability, even if I don't increase speeds of anything at all!!! It won't even boot into windows. Just starts loading windows, then resets. Never happens at all with the settings in my signature. I'm really happy with it, but i was hoping to hit at least 3.4GHz, not for 24/7 operation, but at least for benchmarking purposes.

Wow. All I can say is wow. That's some rough luck. I'm glad abit made a little better than average board, at least mine, anyways. Still no problems yet. Is your EVGA still alive? What USB problems have you seen?

I have one EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR board that is one year old that still works great and has very low north bridge temperatures. As for USB problems, I've seen a number of them on a variety of 680i SLI boards. I've seen poor USB performance, (usually a pre-cursor to dying) I've seen late USB detection, (devices do not start working in Windows for 2-4 minutes) USB ports stop working etc.

ASUS board lasted me quite some time and I'm not horribly pissed about it. I still think the ASUS P5N32-E SLI and Striker Extreme were the two best 680i SLI boards ever made. (That isn't exactly a ringing endorsement however.)

Just as a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if Abit didn't release a 780i board. I've read some not-so-favorable reviews of it so far, and they had some trouble with quads and the 680i themselves. Their P35 boards, however, have been wildly successful, and have fewer per capita problems. Maybe they just don't want to deal with an nVidia chipset again until there are fewer bugs and common problems. I was hoping the 780i would address some of the problems we've been having with the 680i boards.

abit seems late on releasing NVIDIA chipset boards as a general rule. Their 680i SLI board was extremely late to the market as was DFI's. I think everyone expected better from NVIDIA on the 780i SLI and several people seem to think that all these problems are going to be layed to rest with the release of the DDR3 compatible 790i SLI chipset. (I'm not buying into that BS and I won't believe that until I see it.)

On a side note, even with my 3.33GHz overclock, my temps are really good. My inexpensive Arctic cooling freezer 7 is proving more than adequate and is doing a fine job keeping temps low. Logically you would assume that I should be able to push my quad even higher right? Problem is, to get a higher FSB I need to be able to boost some of my voltages a little more. I'm already at the 10x multi, which is the highest for the Q6700, and everything's fine and dandy with current settings, but the second I increase a voltage, especially the CPU VTT (which theoretically can help processor overclocks a TON!), I lose all stability, even if I don't increase speeds of anything at all!!! It won't even boot into windows. Just starts loading windows, then resets. Never happens at all with the settings in my signature. I'm really happy with it, but i was hoping to hit at least 3.4GHz, not for 24/7 operation, but at least for benchmarking purposes.

It is hard to get some Q6600 and Q6700 processors over about 3.2GHz. My B3 Q6600 does 3.6GHz but isn't 100% stable. 3.4GHz is do-able on some boards but the temperatures when its' hotter inside the house are too high and because of that I had to drop it back down to 3.2GHz. Of course when my Black Pearl died I was forced to go back to the Striker Extreme which didn't overclock my Q6600 for shit. So I ended up at 2.4GHz (stock speeds).

This is scary... I got an EVGA 780i coming Monday/Tuesday to put with my E8400...

Guess I'll just have to be careful with it.

This is scary... I got an EVGA 780i coming Monday/Tuesday to put with my E8400...

Guess I'll just have to be careful with it.

Are you going with an SLI configuration?

If not then I have to ask: Why the fuck do people buy 680i SLI/780i SLI boards for single GPU systems over proven, reliable and flat out superior Intel chipset offerings? I just don't fucking understand it. Please enlighten me. (If that's what you are planning on doing.)

Man reading this has made me glad that I decided to sell the Q6600 that I was planning on swapping my E6600 for. Honestly, I haven't really kept up too much regarding problems people were having on the 680i and 780i boards. I hope my board just keeps on chuggin for a while. I've been running it stock for about a year, whereas first I was OCing for a few months with some 'good enough' results. Performance is more than sufficient for me for now, and far superior to my P4 Prescott at work ;)

Man reading this has made me glad that I decided to sell the Q6600 that I was planning on swapping my E6600 for. Honestly, I haven't really kept up too much regarding problems people were having on the 680i and 780i boards. I hope my board just keeps on chuggin for a while. I've been running it stock for about a year, whereas first I was OCing for a few months with some 'good enough' results. Performance is more than sufficient for me for now, and far superior to my P4 Prescott at work ;)

Yeah, the 680i SLI boards running dual core processors seem to last longer than the ones running quad cores. Probably a good call there.

If not then I have to ask: Why the fuck do people buy 680i SLI/780i SLI boards for single GPU systems over proven, reliable and flat out superior Intel chipset offerings? I just don't fucking understand it. Please enlighten me. (If that's what you are planning on doing.)
Tell us how you really feel Dan. :D

Tell us how you really feel Dan. :D

I just want to know. It isn't like high end NVIDIA chipset based boards are cheaper than their Intel counterparts or something. I just don't understand why anyone would buy one over an Intel chipset based board if they weren't going SLI from the start.

I guess people fall into the trap of thinking that while they can't afford a complete SLI solution right away, they'll grab another graphics card later. I dunno, I may be off base here, but I remember my roommate did this with a setup on the MSI P4N Diamond back in the day and I remember thinking that there was no way he'd ever get another graphics card since by then there'd be a newer one available. Turned out I was right.

Somehow, I did that myself like a year and a half later when I built the system I have now. There's no way I'm going to add another 8800 GTS in there. I don't have the money for it anyway, plus I just don't game like I used to. I don't know for sure but I think maybe that's how some people rationalize it.

I guess people fall into the trap of thinking that while they can't afford a complete SLI solution right away, they'll grab another graphics card later. I dunno, I may be off base here, but I remember my roommate did this with a setup on the MSI P4N Diamond back in the day and I remember thinking that there was no way he'd ever get another graphics card since by then there'd be a newer one available. Turned out I was right.

Somehow, I did that myself like a year and a half later when I built the system I have now. There's no way I'm going to add another 8800 GTS in there. I don't have the money for it anyway, plus I just don't game like I used to. I don't know for sure but I think maybe that's how some people rationalize it.

I suspect that you are exactly right and that is what people are thinking when they get these boards. I wonder how many people have actually gone ahead and purchased the second card later on and actually used that functionality before jumping to a completely different generation of video card and or a different motherboard.

I do agree with going with a Intel chipset board if they have no intent of running SLI.
I waited a couple of months before buying my second GTX. I've seen posts by people stating they got a SLI board just incase... and never ran SLI. :eek:

I'm definately going with SLI, otherwise I'd be all over an X38. I'm starting off with one card and then adding in my 2nd a month or so down the line.

I'm thinking I probably should've waited for ATI to show their hand on their new cards to go with a crossfire setup but eh I got tired of waiting. I'm still on AGP with my current system lol.

Quad cores, certain types of memory, and of course months of overclocking to hell and back can and usually does seem to take its' toll on these things. Typically I've found that dual core processor based machines last longer than 680i SLI boards paired up with quad core CPUs. I've also found that if you have NB temperatures regularly exceeding 50 or 55c watch out. You've got a time bomb.
How do you check northbridge temps? In everest my MCP (which i think is southbridge) goes between 57-61. I have done the thermalpaste reapplication and it didn't really help.

I do agree with going with a Intel chipset board if they have no intent of running SLI.
I waited a couple of months before buying my second GTX. I've seen posts by people stating they got a SLI board just incase... and never ran SLI. :eek:

That's what I think ends up happening more often then not.

I'm definately going with SLI, otherwise I'd be all over an X38. I'm starting off with one card and then adding in my 2nd a month or so down the line.

I'm thinking I probably should've waited for ATI to show their hand on their new cards to go with a crossfire setup but eh I got tired of waiting. I'm still on AGP with my current system lol.

Well then that makes sense. It is when you don't run SLI and grab one of these NVIDIA chipset based boards that I go WTF?!

How do you check northbridge temps? In everest my MCP (which i think is southbridge) goes between 57-61. I have done the thermalpaste reapplication and it didn't really help.

You are reading it right. MCP is the north bridge. Your temps are within the correct range for a longer living board.

well i got the p5n-e sli with out any thought of going sli. It was a great board. until i killed it . user error not the board it self.

Well shoot. I just bought a friend's EVGA 680i. He's like over 1200 in the queue for step-up to the 780i and he got impatient so he ordered a 780i off amazon and is selling me his 680i. He's also going to stay in the queue and when it's his turn, I'll send him his 680i and pay him for the step up. We'll both have brand new 780i's. I've already found a buyer who wants to dabble a little in overclocking his Q6700. I'm going to sell him my Abit board and help him overclock his rig. He does have one 8800GT, and if the 9800's don't warrant a definite stepup for him, he's really would want to do SLI. He'll also get a good quad overclock of 3.33GHz and some good ram overclocks, too because he's got the good Corsair XMS2.

I, on the other hand, am pretty sure I'll never do SLI on my 22" monitor. I am planning on stepping up for sure, to the 9800GX2 (sli within the card - still works on intel boards) or the GTX - cheaper step up cost probably, but still way faster than what I have.

So, here's my dilemma. I know that my friend is running his EVGA 680i board with exceptional overclocks on his quad right now. It's a second revision board, and he's got his Q6700 running 24/7 100% stable at 3.65GHz!!! He's also got a slight overclock on his ram, and his overclocked ultra. I'm confident I'll be able to get at least close to that performance with my setup on his board because his board's already proven what it can do.

But what if I just want to sell the new 780i (as brand new in box) when it comes in and get something different? I gotta be able to overclock the crap out of my processor, my video card, and my RAM. Should I go X38/X48?? I would like to have penryn as an option in the future. I know penryn runs on the 780i. I've seen good and bad reviews of EVGA's 780i board. I just don't know what to do. I'm getting it for a steal, and I love EVGA's support and warranty. Say I sell it and decide I'm through with nVidia's chipset bugs. Any specific recommendations on good overclockers that will support Penryns? I like that my Abit has ports and headers galore, along with plenty of fan headers and BIOS options to manipulate. Raid probably isn't that important to me, but maybe someday. It needs to have at least one firewire header, and lots of USB's, a few PCI's and an X1 or two. I know there are a lot out there. Any specific recommendations that would be good alternatives to a 680/780i with all the expansion capabilities?

Exactly what happened to me with my MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI and 7800 GT. And that's exactly why I went with P35 this time around, now that I know better. ;) Though I might have still gone with a NVIDIA chipset had I stuck with AMD, as they actually make decent chipsets in their own right on that side of the fence (ironically, now that AMD owns ATI).

That's what I think ends up happening more often then not.
You are reading it right. MCP is the north bridge. Your temps are within the correct range for a longer living board.
Lol, my MCP temp has been between 65 and 75 Celcius for over a year now. I really like my Striker Extreme and I haven't had any real problems yet. I bought my SE because my experiences with the nForce4 chipset for AMD were really good, but my next board will probably be an Asus Rampage Formula because of the quad core problems with the 680i chipset and the rivalry between Nvidia and Intel.

Yea I don't get it either if you are not going SLi nvidia is the worst option for motherboard, you might as well take the other compoenents you bought for the sys and trash them cuz sooner or later the nvidia mobo will fry them for you!

My 2nd Striker Extreme (had to RMA the first one) is running great. I attribute this to 3 things:
1) COOL THE NORTHBRIDGE
2) C2D vs. quad
3) mild O/C vs. high O/C (keeping voltages low/reasonable) for 24x7
4) did I mention COOL THE NORTHBRIDGE

I will say that I'm one of those that got SLI with the idea of possibly going dual-GPU, but haven't yet done so. One reason (besides having the option for dual-GPU) is the striker has such a great feature-rich BIOS. Although now there are many boards with this too...

I have a Evga 680i SLI SE motherboard and has not died on me. I also have decent temps.:)(i don't OC tho)

What if i buy a Q6600 and not OC it?

What does that have to do with anything? A 780i SLI or X38/X48 chipset based offering is just as good stock or overclocked. They've got more features and offer as much if not more performance than anything else.

When you don't overclock, the picture is the same as when you do. The best overclocking boards are still the ones to buy even if you don't overclock.

I just don't want the board to crap out on me. And they say there is a problem with Quads and 680i's.

mine is still running great over a year now. no problems what so ever. I'm even running a sata raid 0 now. Still exceptional performance. I'm happy. I'm just one of the lucky ones I guess.

I got mine about 3-4 or so months ago. Did the heatsink paste all over the board as suggested. Still took a crap 3 months into running my current setup. Bought a new NON nvidia mobo. Ugh stupid pos! :rolleyes:

I had 2 one being a EVGA of which died ( well it was not dead but one of the ram slots went broke... it still functioned but losing the DC option unless you run 2 sticks of ram stunk )
I had the asus one and once they got the bios fixed it ran fine. It must be one of those chips that is a hit or miss... when really it should be stable

ROFL

I had another Striker Extreme up and die on me. I decided to play it safe with the last one. Slapped all the water blocks on it, didn't OC it, and let it run. It had some odd behavior, not shutting down properly, odd USB issues, couldn't use the first memory slot.

Then I came home from work one day and blamo, CPU INIT. I've done all the regular Striker rituals to bring it back to life, even bought more memory... dead.

So now I've got a rack load of GPU's with water blocks on them and various DDR2 sticks. I'm using an x38 single GPU box for now and watching the 780i boards to see if one specific brand is going to be stable, even at stock speeds. So far the MSI looks promising but I'm going to wait.

Don't look for any comfort from the 650i either. I'm done with this board too. Anandtech had a review that was extremely positive but it seems that was all but an anomaly. I'll pass on the SLI bandwagon from now on.

i had sli when i got the baord but then went for a straight 8800, but didn't switch the board and i probably won't til it dies or i "need" and upgrade.

why did i pick nvidia (i sort of had a feeling i would be changing to a single card before i bought the board).

1. i had incredible luck with the nf4 chipset, and i was used to that bios.

2. i had incredibly BAD luck with intel chipsets on 478 and early 775 (pre c2d)

3. i bought the evga for way less than a comparable intel chipset and it has the warranty.

4. i felt dirty for betraying AMD and didn't want to give intel any more money than i had to.

i have had great success with nvidia chipsets, intel and amd, including the 680i. but i dont think it has anything to do with luck, just skill.

680i is the last chipset form NVIDIA that I ever buy.

I despise this board, but have no time to rebuild PC. I made it relatively stable/quiet with replacement of northbridge/southbridge heatpipe but that didnt come without a cost...

The board is such a pos. This is my third replacement too, other two just died one moment. No overclocks either.

I know it's early days... but so far the 790i is everything they said it was going to be.

My gut feeling is Nvidia knew their earlier products were questionable... and they took their time with this one. Supposedly the board was done in December, and they spent three more months on it before release, just to make sure.

Time will tell.

Back