OLPC Running John Lennon Commercial

HardOCP News

[H] News
I am not too sure the folks at the One Laptop Per Child organization are getting the response they wanted from using John Lennon in their latest advertisement. It would seem that fans of John Lennon feel it is disrespectful to put words in the artist’s mouth almost three decades after he died. Your thoughts?

That's what they said about the internet, and after 20 years, we have You Tube user comments and 4chan. I think this could possibly end the world as we know it.

OLPC is still trying to sell that thing? I thought they moved to the next concept with dual screens and no keyboard that's supposed to be cheaper. LOL

BS! You didn't convince me!

mmmm Full Metal Jacket....

seriously though, that's my thoughts on it, I think basic necessities of LIFE are more important than giving a laptop...

Disgusting, totally disgusting... sinking to a new level with this ad.

Disrespectful or not:

This commercial is just stupid...

yeah, it's much more important that the half of kids that don't starve to death or die of disease from mosquitos or dirty water learn how to use a computer that works differently than anything else they might ever encounter if they got a job.

I don't think it's disrespectful. I have no doubt that Lennon would have been sympathetic to the cause (regardless of whether he would have done the commercial), but it's a bit cheesy, IMO. It sounds kinda sorta like him, but not exactly (I think they used software that analyzes recordings to reproduce how he says things).

My guess is, Lennon would have been more likely to write asong than do a commercial, though at 67, he probably would have had trouble getting airplay anywhere other than, perhaps, Classic Rock stations and 24 hour new channels.

All in all, I think it's kinda cool from a tech POV, but the software still needs work

Yea Ono needs the kaasch!
Oh and
Laptops are known to help a starving young hiv infected child
PURE COW DUNG!

I don't think it's disrespectful. I have no doubt that Lennon would have been sympathetic to the cause (regardless of whether he would have done the commercial), but it's a bit cheesy, IMO. It sounds kinda sorta like him, but not exactly (I think they used software that analyzes recordings to reproduce how he says things).

My guess is, Lennon would have been more likely to write asong than do a commercial, though at 67, he probably would have had trouble getting airplay anywhere other than, perhaps, Classic Rock stations and 24 hour new channels.

All in all, I think it's kinda cool from a tech POV, but the software still needs work

QFT. +1

This is the most ridiculous seen I've had in a while. Knowing how this things are done only thing I can say this remarks desperation.

Disrespectful or not:

This commercial is just stupid...

Disgusting, totally disgusting... sinking to a new level with this ad.

seriously though, that's my thoughts on it, I think basic necessities of LIFE are more important than giving a laptop...

It's not even a good Lennon impersonation. Come on. :(

OLPC is still trying to sell that thing? I thought they moved to the next concept with dual screens and no keyboard that's supposed to be cheaper. LOL

^
That commercial is very irratating

Yea Ono needs the kaasch!
Oh and
Laptops are known to help a starving young hiv infected child
PURE COW DUNG!

This is the most ridiculous seen I've had in a while. Knowing how this things are done only thing I can say this remarks desperation.

And these are the reasons why I think they use the money for something else than giving these kids laptops.

I dont think John would be to happy with people able to DL his music for free. With him being more popular that Jesus Christ and all. I think he would rather see a starving child with a laptop so they could buy / listen to his music. Thats so much better that putting a Bible in there hands.

I am not the Walrus.... because he is next to the polar bear with no ice to float on!!!!

me too...

you know how many people DIE in africa of diseases easily cured with drugs?

I'm weird. I like the message, it's true with a laptop and the internet you can find anything!

I think Lennon would have supported the idea that every child gets a laptop.

Search for "theory of relativity"

You will find lots of stuff you can't get unless you have access to school. Search for "rain forest"

yeah its kinda dumb... as neat as a concept it is... they arn't exactly feeding or giving the kids in africa medical attention...

how about some food for dafur, or hay... how about... lets not give them laptops, and umm... stop the warlords from killing their parents...

nah... laptop 4 the win!

yeah its kinda dumb... as neat as a concept it is... they arn't exactly feeding or giving the kids in africa medical attention...

how about some food for dafur, or hay... how about... lets not give them laptops, and umm... stop the warlords from killing their parents...

nah... laptop 4 the win!

One could argue that they could use a laptop and some food. The 2 charities aren't mutually exclusive. What's more, the ability to get uncensored information could help bring about political change which could lead to peace and prosperity in these regions. Food is needed in may parts of the world, but in the end, it's just a band-aid. Whether or not providing technology is a part of the solution remains to be seen.

Excellent tools to make more effective and reliable IDEs. Also, great for starting up even more email/phishing scam operations overseas.

The glorious people's freedom fighter force of(insert fucked up country name here) will just confiscate them anyways.

DAR-4+h3wiN!!!:rolleyes:

<OLPC>: Ono, we have developed a time machine to go back and save Lennon
<ONO>: Really?!?
<OLPC>: No, but we thought that might make you feel a bit better, so instead we came up with this creepy commerical featuring him instead
<ONO>: You trick me again, ok, you can do it as long as I get fat check
<OLPC>: No problem
<ONO>: I'm now going to go take a bunch of shoes, put them side by side on a side walk and call it art
<OLPC>:You go do that.
[ONO LEAVES]
<OLPC>:Quick someone call George Harrison's wife, we have a deal to make with her

Back