OLED55inch 4k as a monitor (size/distance question)

Andyk5

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone use OLED 55 4k as a computer monitor on standard computer monitor distances? I have a 64 inch width table and I can sit about 1.5 arm lengths away from it. I know it is going to be too big that close up, just wondering if it is even usable/feasible?

A lot of this is down to personal preference, but I generally feel you want to be at least 0.75x the diagonal size of a screen in distance away from it. So for 55 inch you need 41.25 inches, +/- 4 inches is fine. Some people may prefer a bit further but I'd argue any closer and you'll be constantly turning your head. How far you can go is really down to your eyesight, scaling settings, and how much of your field of view you want to fill.

I use a 55" LG OLED. It's big for sure, but it's usable. I don't run apps full screen anymore...gaming is insane though. Been using it since November of last year, zero burn in or image retention even after 8+ hour gaming sessions with static UIs.

So full screen gaming on a desk worth of distance from the TV is fine?

So full screen gaming on a desk worth of distance from the TV is fine?

I mean a lot of it is personal preference...I would rather have a 43-49" OLED but since that size isn't available I had to go with the 55" and it works. It's much larger than what most people would use but this is [H]... :D My last monitor was the Samsung UN48JS9000 quantum dot TV which was excellent but the image quality of the OLED is on another level and worth dealing with the additional size. Games have never looked so gorgeous.

I will revisit when there are 40"+ 4K monitors that can do 120-165Hz with graphics cards to push them appropriately.

My friend has a 55" Samsung KS7005 (Nordic KS8000) that he used with a desktop machine and you need to be about 1.5-2m away from it to be comfortable to use it and even then you will want to use pretty high scaling settings to get comfortable text and icon size.

I think it's far from ideal and I would prefer something smaller than 50" for that use.

For a 55" tv comfortable viewing experience one should be at 6-8 feet distance because larger screens are meant for bigger areas.

I used the THX immersion/viewing angle standard for 4K. 55" is about 4.5 foot sitting distance. An easy way to remember it is you simply sit the diagonal of the TV. So put your eyes 55" +/- 5" away from a 55" display.

Reactions: elvn
like this
I have a 55" LG OLED I game on along with a 38" ultrawide (3820x1600) that runs at 75hz. The OLED is probably 4' from my viewing position whereas the UW is more like 2.5-3'. The PPI on the OLED does leave somethng to be desired, but the OLED and HDR make up for it in most situations. The biggest downside I've seen for the LG OLED for PC use isn't in games, its for desktop viewing. It makes some text a little blurry or distorted, I feel. The larger display is awesome for games when you want a really immersive experience or don't mind not being able to view then entire screen in your primary field of view, like MMOs or the like. Twitch games where you would want to be able to scan the entire screen for threats though, I would think it might suffer a bit. Depends on what you like to play.

Overall though I've used it for >2 years and have been very happy. Though at times I've considered switching to something like a 40-45" monitor (as opposed to a TV), I haven't acted on it.

Edit: one thing - if you get this, definitely invest in a mount that will give you tilt functionality. I don't think I could use it from a normal seating position if it weren't tilted.

I have a Samsung 55" as a monitor. I'm sitting normal desk distance, so maybe 18" from it. It's HUGE, yes, but I like it. When I'm gaming or watching movies I sit a little further back.

Cyber4K.jpg

I have a Samsung 55" as a monitor. I'm sitting normal desk distance, so maybe 18" from it. It's HUGE, yes, but I like it. When I'm gaming or watching movies I sit a little further back.

You sit 18" away from a 55" television? 4K @ that size has less PPI than 1080p on a 27" monitor.

You sit 18" away from a 55" television? 4K @ that size has less PPI than 1080p on a 27" monitor.
Yeah, I'm kind of crazy though. Windows is set at 150% scaling, everything is big and readable. I wouldn't recommend this for most people, I think my previous 40" 4K TV was a better size for daily use.

Back