OLED Screens - have it on my laptop

mkrohn

2[H]4U
I found a mint condition Lenovo Yoga X1 with the OLED recently with the 6600u and the OLED screen for a decent price and after more than 24 hours with this machine I really wish I could buy an 8th gen CPU with a screen like this!

Really all this screen has done is make me 10x more likely to buy an OLED tv to connect it to. Anybody else on here using OLED?

I write code and generally use Dark Theme stuff so the blacks + viewing angle is blowing me away so far.

I found a mint condition Lenovo Yoga X1 with the OLED recently with the 6600u and the OLED screen for a decent price and after more than 24 hours with this machine I really wish I could buy an 8th gen CPU with a screen like this!

Really all this screen has done is make me 10x more likely to buy an OLED tv to connect it to. Anybody else on here using OLED?

I write code and generally use Dark Theme stuff so the blacks + viewing angle is blowing me away so far.

OLED screens would allow very light, very thin large screen laptops, which I would like for graphics work. I wonder about the problem of burn in, given that a typical desktop has a number of ststic images.

Also on the horizon are emissive QLEDs which may provode greater longevity, and probably resist burn in better,

Does your Yoga have some circuitry to avoid burn in?

Great laptop, by the way.

there are some settings like dimming the task bar and some other software lenovo has for avoiding this. OLED is crappy without the brightness cranked and really you need the brightness cranked to actually enjoy OLED so you have a massive cost for something that wrecks battery life. I think 2018 laptops have made a huge jump in power/portability but something needs to happen on displays. I wasn't that impressed by the screen on either of the last two XPS 15's. They've had a lot of luck of the draw screen issues that made me return a couple and give up.

By time ebay bucks and other stuff come back it should be about $650 I spent on this. The SSD said 31 hours powered on when I received it and the keyboard and everything else is mint condition so after opening it up and not finding dust it is either accurate or somebody did an amazing job with refurbishing this unit.

oh man I cannot wait for 27" 4k oled monitor. Or at least 1440p. 60hz is good for me

oh man I cannot wait for 27" 4k oled monitor. Or at least 1440p. 60hz is good for me
I'm hoping next year we either see OLED laptops return or some much better LED screens come out. Now that ultra portable machines are finally powerful enough it's time for screens to get better. With bezel free becoming a thing I think we need an XPS19 or something huge that can still be portable. I said 19 because with the dell voodoo it would be the size of 17" laptops.

The Dell Alienware 13" still has the 2560x1440 OLED screen option and you can still buy it. But it doesn't sound like it will be updated to 8th gen.

there are some settings like dimming the task bar and some other software lenovo has for avoiding this. OLED is crappy without the brightness cranked and really you need the brightness cranked to actually enjoy OLED so you have a massive cost for something that wrecks battery life. I think 2018 laptops have made a huge jump in power/portability but something needs to happen on displays. I wasn't that impressed by the screen on either of the last two XPS 15's. They've had a lot of luck of the draw screen issues that made me return a couple and give up.

By time ebay bucks and other stuff come back it should be about $650 I spent on this. The SSD said 31 hours powered on when I received it and the keyboard and everything else is mint condition so after opening it up and not finding dust it is either accurate or somebody did an amazing job with refurbishing this unit.

I'm wondering if there might not be some small application, either included with your laptop, or easily installed, that essentially acts as a kind of a screensaver in that it will prevent any image from being static. Something similar to the way the glyphs for various TV channels fade in and out to prevent burn in.

The Dell Alienware 13" still has the 2560x1440 OLED screen option and you can still buy it. But it doesn't sound like it will be updated to 8th gen.
No OLED laptop was announced for 2018. That alienware and the yoga X1 were the only 2017 laptops with them. I was looking at both but went with this yoga only because the seller accepted a lowball offer. This yoga is really bad for gaming. I had to lower eye candy in diablo 3 even and haven't tried anything other than civ which this does fine on small maps.

No OLED laptop was announced for 2018. That alienware and the yoga X1 were the only 2017 laptops with them. I was looking at both but went with this yoga only because the seller accepted a lowball offer. This yoga is really bad for gaming. I had to lower eye candy in diablo 3 even and haven't tried anything other than civ which this does fine on small maps.

It's cheaper to make LCD, and there are all kinds of abstruse economic reasons revolving around how many screens you can get from the large sheets from which they're cut that impact economic decision-making.

Apparently other reasons why OLEDs have fallen out of favor is that, despite claims of efficiency, that they tend to draw more energy in laptop applications… at least that's what Lenovo disclosed to a journalist. Also, in addition to burn in, image retention is a big problem with OLED, which obviously hurts gaming.

It's cheaper to make LCD, and there are all kinds of abstruse economic reasons revolving around how many screens you can get from the large sheets from which they're cut that impact economic decision-making.
did you see what Lenovo was charging for the upgraded OLED screen? replacement screens on ebay are $500. for enough people it doesn't really matter what the price is. They want the far superior display. I am still hoping LCD's with better backlight dimming evolve. IPS glow has to be completely resolved. I have one tv that has a clear bright spot that bugs me bad when I'm watching tv in the dark and it goes to a black screen.

I am probably about a month or two away from seeing aside the cash to buy an OLED tv. I won't put my credit cards over a certain utilization and I just bought a bunch of things.

That's not surprising, OLEDs are less power efficient than LCD when all pixels are activated at high intensity, they're only more power efficient in cases where they can make use of being able to reduce power to many pixels. Unfortunately white backgrounds are the norm in Windows and on websites so anyone using a white background web browser would destroy their battery life with an OLED screen.

That's not surprising, OLEDs are less power efficient than LCD when all pixels are activated at high intensity, they're only more power efficient in cases where they can make use of being able to reduce power to many pixels. Unfortunately white backgrounds are the norm in Windows and on websites so anyone using a white background web browser would destroy their battery life with an OLED screen.

Good points.

Been using the OLED X1 Yoga since last year and can definitely attest to the lackluster battery life.

Love the screen though :)

I think 60hz would be a waste as OLEDs are capable of much higher refresh rates.
If it wasn't for the fact that my old monitor crap out on me, I wouldn't have gone with a 2017 55" OLED TV as my monitor. It's terrific for videos, typing and multi tasking however I miss my old 144HZ monitor when I game. Single player games that aren't as FPS oriented are amazing none the less, breathless!

Have to check if there's any Image retention so far but haven't gotten any last time I checked.

I dont care for more than 60hz and would take 4k 60hz oled any times. Would even take 1080p or 2k 60hz oled at 27" no problem. Just make it rgb and not pentile

Been using the OLED X1 Yoga since last year and can definitely attest to the lackluster battery life.

Love the screen though :)
I dont care for more than 60hz and would take 4k 60hz oled any times. Would even take 1080p or 2k 60hz oled at 27" no problem. Just make it rgb and not pentile
I haven't noticed any issues with higher than 60hz. I'd gladly take an oled at 60hz but 120hz would be nice.

non-pentile RGB OLED is probably never going to be a thing... it doesn't exist in any current product. LG uses WRGB and Samsung uses Pentile in all products. No one cares about Pentile anymore though because at high pixel densities it doesn't matter.

In fact due to the differing luminance and lifespan of different color LEDs I doubt it's ever going to be commercially reasonable to build a true RGB OLED with 3 same-size subpixels.

LCD tech can be made much better than crap which we are currently forced to use.
My prediction is that in few to ten years we will be able to buy LCD panels with with at least 100x times contrast ratio and no perceivable IPS-glow.

Back