OLED (Organic LED) what are we waiting for?

FM 3370

Gawd
I remember seeing some great things about OLED saying that they're much better than LCD. Does anyone know what's up with OLED technology coming to Desktop and Laptop Monitors? I Know they have them in cell phones, I don't think mine's and OLED because the screen sucks.

OLED displays still have trouble scaling. It won't be until around 2008 until we'll see the first large (15+") displays.

I'm more hopeful for SED and FED right now, especially with the former supposedly already in production :)

SED looks kick ass but its a wee bit expensive ATM as is anything new. Im so glad I just went and bought a Hyundai L90D+, I farking love this thing!

one of my chem professors has been working on OLED stuff for a few years now and he's making real progress. he's been working with some of the people that are actually going to be making the displays so hopefully soon there will be a break through and it will explode..

IceWind said:
SED looks kick ass but its a wee bit expensive ATM as is anything new. Im so glad I just went and bought a Hyundai L90D+, I farking love this thing!
Yes, SED displays will appear to be somewhat expensive, but consider that:

- it's new ;)
- it offers the same small footprint as LCDs and plasma displays
- it has better image quality than LCDs, plasmas and CRTs
- it uses less energy than all three aforementioned technologies, so you're saving money in the long term ;)

Elledan said:
OLED displays still have trouble scaling. It won't be until around 2008 until we'll see the first large (15+") displays.

I'm more hopeful for SED and FED right now, especially with the former supposedly already in production :)

That's interesting because there have already been several demo's creating in the 20" range. Samsung just released a working demo of a 40" OLED. The question is when will these start arriving at the stores?

logo29a said:
That's interesting because there have already been several demo's creating in the 20" range. Samsung just released a working demo of a 40" OLED. The question is when will these start arriving at the stores?
I was pleasantly surprised, too :)

We still don't know whether they've solved the stability (longevity) issues with the colours, and how difficult (expensive) it is to produce a screen like this 40" one.

Still, with some luck we'll know more before the end of 2006...

One of the main problems with OLED displays is also the materials. They are based on organic materials which can produce light and that makes the panel active opposite the operational principle of the LCD panel which is passive.
However, this light fades as organic materials fade. It is not as LCD's because they only loose intensity when used.
The intensity of the light in these organic materials halves fast even though you're not using the monitor.

I was under the impression that Blue was the particularly troublesome colour in terms of acceptable lifespan, although presumably, given the noise Samsung is making they are happy enough that they can now make these guys last long enough to be practical in the marketplace.

I don't know exactly how OLED panels are physically constructed, but it's my understanding that the process is actually more robust and less costly than the tft manufacturing process, so once production ramps up the prices should drop even more aggressively than TFTs have over the last couple of years (and be cheaper to replace when they dim too much to be useful).

Obviously the R+D costs still have to be recouped so the cheaper unit cost won't be reflected in the initial market offerings, which will of course be "remortgage your house expensive" as always.

I believe that Samsung has resolved the phosphor issues. Unless I'm mistaken, lifespan is expected to exceed the plasma variants. However, they will have NED's and SED's to compete with soon. I don't expect any of these technologies to be very expensive when they get production costs under control. OLED's should come down quick as they can be manufactured on existing LCD lines.

They are pretty confident in the blue thing now, from what I understand they've come up with a technique to extend the half life to about 30,000 hours.

My instinct is that they will hold back the technology though, they are only now getting the return on LCD's and they will want to be improve yields and consolidating that technology first before moving on.

LED lit LCD's are next up so I suspect OLED's will be about 2007/8 but that's purely a guesstimate.

Incidentally you can get a demo OLED kit from Kodak, it's pretty fricking impressive.

Iratus said:
LED lit LCD's are next up so I suspect OLED's will be about 2007/8 but that's purely a guesstimate.

I doubt that. Samsung has Epson to worry about and whoever gets the product out the door first will steal a good portion of that market. They also have to worry about other new technologies that will be competing with OLED such as NED and SED. I would expect them no later than Q2 06.

In regards to the Samsung OLED, it had a resolution of 1200x800. Not enough for a small scale computer display, you'd need at least 1280x1024 before you could consider that.

They've only been able to make the blue's last as long by combining reds and greens to make longer lasting, but less true blue phosphors. Essentially they're sacrificing picture quality for enough longevity to make them halfway feasible in the consumer market. All the hype about better pq than CRT or plasma and longer life is just that until they can prove it. Sorry, I remain skeptical.

JackieO said:
They've only been able to make the blue's last as long by combining reds and greens to make longer lasting, but less true blue phosphors. Essentially they're sacrificing picture quality for enough longevity to make them halfway feasible in the consumer market. All the hype about better pq than CRT or plasma and longer life is just that until they can prove it. Sorry, I remain skeptical.

Do you have a source for that? I searched, but turned up nothing.

Not offhand sorry. I'll take a look at work tomorrow. You don't have to believe me or anything, but that is what's most panel makers are doing right now (or experimenting with anyway). Just to toss my guess into the hat I'd say we'll see 20-27 inch OLEDs in mass production by the end of '07, but nothing larger in the mass consumer market until '09-2010.

SED will likely be sooner, but only by 18 months or so. Right now above 40 inches plasma is, and will remain, the only affordable real option aside from FP's. Just my $0.02.

JackieO said:

I agree, Pioneer started playing with OLED in their car stereo displays back around 1997 or so and it ended up being nothing but grief. My feeling is it’s one of those technologies that may well get replaced before it gets off the ground for some uses.

BillR said:
I agree, Pioneer started playing with OLED in their car stereo displays back around 1997 or so and it ended up being nothing but grief. My feeling is it’s one of those technologies that may well get replaced before it gets off the ground for some uses.

Yes, but this was due to the inability to manufacture larger displays period. They can now produce the larger displays. Not only that, but they are getting production costs down quite a bit.

I don't see why we won't see OLED's out sooner than that. Jackie doesn't think we'll see ~20" displays for another two years but Samsung has already produced 20+ inch displays at very high resolutions. The color fidelity, viewing angles, and contrast are worlds better than existing LCD technology. They are also able to use existing production lines so the stage is set. I'd expect to start seeing these displays no later than Q2 06 if not sooner. We should know a lot more by the end of this week.

Particle said:
Iis this similar to organic computers?
No, OLEDs are basically displays build up out of many rows and columns of LEDs, with the main difference being that those LEDs use organic components instead of the non-organic ones used with, for example, the LED on the front of the display you're looking at right now.

Back