OLED Monitor

shankle

Weaksauce
How many more years before we might see the 1st OLED Monitor for
the average user?

Apparently OLED is expensive to produce right now and has a lower lifespan than LCD.
I bet we will get 8k on 27" and optimized software GUIs before we get 24" OLEDs.

And that's years away. 1440p is becoming popular now.

Even if they were affordable, I don't know if they'll make it to average consumers as-is since OLED's have a significant issue with burn-in. Not a problem with phones use cases, but very much a problem with computer monitors.

The link provided by Odellus Is somewhat encouraging but like the Tesla car
is way beyond guys like me. So I would guess 3 to 5 more years. Yuk

I'd wait to see how it would actually hold up as a monitor. My galaxy s3 with an OLED display has some slight burn in on the screen which was also a problem with the newer vitas before they switched the screen tech.

I vaguely remember there being a lot of noise around them coming out in the near future close to 10 years ago with promises that they would be the best thing ever.

LCD manufacturers are too busy sucking consumers dry with mass produced garbage panels at huge markups that can barely do 120hz on resolutions that have been out for around for a decade or more.

I am more looking forward SED instead. It's going to be the future.

I'd wait to see how it would actually hold up as a monitor. My galaxy s3 with an OLED display has some slight burn in on the screen which was also a problem with the newer vitas before they switched the screen tech.

Could you open this page on the S3 :http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
and check how many squares you see?

I'm not sure if my S3 is displaying those properly, I see only the last row of squares, ugly and green tinted, with the others completely black.

Back