OLED 65" TV or 120 inch screen 4k projector ?

OLED 65" TV or 120 inch screen 4k projector ?

• OLED 65" TV

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • 120 inch screen 4k projector

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters

ng4ever

2[H]4U
Which one should I get? I went to Best Buy yesterday and I am amazed at how gorgeous and life like the OLED tvs are! It feels like your actually there! Though I really want a 120 inch screen 4k projector but I realize I won't get the same quality picture.

I'm a sucker for OLED's ridiculously awesome colors and purer black levels. I can't get over their image quality. Heck, even some of the HDR LCDs I've seen (like Samsung KS8000) have blown me away. Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but 65" is more than plenty large enough for me. Already feels like a wall of a TV.

Depends on the room, room layout, and how it will be used. Projector ideally need a dark room. So if it's going into a normal family room type environment where it will get used in normal lighting conditions, an actual TV would be the better choice.

When I go to an actual movie theater I notice how terrible the blacks look compared to my 65" oled. The quality downgrade isn't worth the extra screen size.

I'm building a new home theater and after using an OLED I didn't even consider using a projector. I'm probably going with another 65" OLED. I might get a 77" or 88" if they aren't crazy expensive. The 2019 models are coming soon. I think some are already available.

There are so many things to consider when going with a projector and it just comes down to how much do you want to spend. The native 4k projectors are still pricey and the screens can cost just as much as the projector and the bulb replacement.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/best-home-theater-projectors.htm
This is from last year and its a good read

https://www.avsforum.com/projector-recommend-ask-editors/

Seems obvious. Pick your room size. And if you are really in love with OLED then why post?
I run a lowly LED 720p projector @ 75", with a nice sound system. Visuals are not the best to be honest. I constantly have friends tell me that it was an amazing movie experience. They probably come from 40-50" displays. But size matters in a "movie" type environment. TBH I think the sound system matters more. That and a very big screen.

Yeah, you'll pay two to three times as much for a good projector (with comparable specs to the 65" OLED), and you still have to buy a screen, and replacement bulbs.

Also, you don't see the stock-clearing sales that OLED sets have, because the number of 4k projectors sold are minuscule (by-comparison).

I was in the same boat mid to late last year, 110" UHD PJ or a decent UHD TV.

Unfortunately HDR on projectors and OLED is not up to scratch, even with a blacked out room.
Neither go bright enough (unless you spend silly money on a PJ), and OLED met its nemesis, it cannot beat 600 nits and thats even with cheating!
Many projectors cheat in the same way to boost the HDR brightness by boosting white not all the colours, so you lose colour volume.
Most PJs can barely produce full rec 709 colour let alone DCI-P3 or 2020. They are not really true HDR just rec 709 made darker and brighter.
You need to spend money to get true UHD on a PJ, the cheaper ones either have issues or are effectively lower res. And try finding one with low lag!
Get the price of replacement lamps before you buy a PJ or you may limit how much you use it.
Care must be taken what is displayed on OLED to prevent burn in as there is no warranty for it.

So I bought a Samsung Q9FN TV which can do near 2000 nits HDR and be used for any style of media without burn in. Worth every penny.
No PJ can look this good and no OLED does HDR justice.

No PJ can look this good and no OLED does HDR justice.

I'm of the opinion that no current display technology does HDR 'justice'. Haloing on FALD displays is more distracting to me than lacking brightness, though I can see the choice not being so easy if you use the display for more than video playback. In your shoes I'd grab the Q9FN too.

I'd go either high end laser projector or OLED. Which likely means, OLED. :)

For me it depends on the room. If its a living room I'd probably lean more towards an OLED since there is more variables like lighting and space. If it was a basement or a media room meant primarily for movies I would go projector. I think it comes down to how much of the theater experience you want to have at home.

Back