OLED 4K TV with 4:4:4 HDMI 2.0 spotted, what about burn-in?

what CRTs is he talking about and are there any professional reviews of them a la tftcentral/prad online somewhere? i'd really like to see them so i can gauge the gap between them and OLED.

Some of the higher-end Sony BVM, like the BVM-D32 sold for that price in their time.
Those were pretty much the best CRT's ever designed, only maybe a large portion of the final price could be explained by broadcast industry features of no use for the casual user. Also lots of warranty/servicing included I guess.
I'd bet some excellent pc monitors like the DiamondTron -equipped also reached insane quality/fidelity levels with the right hardware to support them.

curved= deal breaker for me...once they start putting out flat OLED sets I'm in...videophiles would never buy curved screens ;) ...I think Panasonic announced one a few months back as well but it too is curved

curved= deal breaker for me...once they start putting out flat OLED sets I'm in...videophiles would never buy curved screens ;) ...I think Panasonic announced one a few months back as well but it too is curved

Not a fan of curved myself, I don't get what the appeal is for non gamers.

curved= deal breaker for me...once they start putting out flat OLED sets I'm in...videophiles would never buy curved screens ;)

Nonsense. Plenty of high end video enthusiasts all over the world purchase and enjoy curved displays. Flat high end displays are barely even sold in Europe or Japan anymore.

Regardless, there is a flat OLED released. EF9500.

Nonsense. Plenty of high end video enthusiasts all over the world purchase and enjoy curved displays

no...they don't...if you know any and they are buying these curved screens then they are most definitely not real videophiles

no...they don't...if you know any and they are buying these curved screens then they are most definitely not real videophiles

Right. Absolute statements wrapped in hyperbole for an extremely vague "title". Not impressed. :rolleyes:

Agreed. It's a shame they don't put the appropriate polarizer on these less expensive gaming monitors to get rid of IPS glow. I don't think I'll ever own an IPS again. Their dark performance isn't satisfactory in the least.
IPS is worthless without an A-TW polarizer.
I don't understand why all these new AHVA panels that are being used in gaming monitors don't have one.
And I don't know why people keep hyping up these IPS displays.

Sure, they are not as bad as a TN panel, but I wouldn't pay a premium for one.
But I wouldn't pay a premium for a VA panel now either.
The only LCD that I would be happy with today is an IPS type panel that has an A-TW polarizer. Unfortunately none of them seem to be found in gaming displays. (low latency, G-Sync, strobe options)

What does your OLED look like when displaying a <10% gray screen? (not black)

I have a bit of a question to the owners of these screens: First off: My wife recently got the new Samsung Edge+ phone, using an AMOLED screen: Its bright and colours are REALLY vibrant, and blacks are deep, but... I've noticed a HUGE Red-Blue shift at angles, the screen becomes very green when viewed at an angle. Is this something that current OLED large-screens exhibit? I would hope the new OLED technology wouldn't come with huge angle colour-shift, but that Edge+ really made me worry.
Samsung's RGB OLED panels seem worse for it than LG's white OLEDs right now - though the white OLEDs are not immune to viewing angle problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O05dFgu2Q5E

Sony's first generation of broadcast monitors also had problems with viewing angles, though not as severe, and it seems to have been solved with the A revisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wrcnc0mHVM

Monitors STILL are inferior to CRTs. What the FUCK?
You will never beat the responsiveness of a CRT with a digital display.
However there are problems with CRTs that you can solve with a digital display, if you can accept some latency.

You can buffer the frame as it is transmitted and then update the panel globally instead of scanning the image from top-to-bottom.
As resolutions increase, and persistence (motion blur) decreases, image skew becomes a much larger problem.
It was quite evident on Sony's prototype Crystal LED display, which was an inorganic LED TV that scanned the image to reduce persistence.

VR headset manufacturers have recognized that this is a problem and both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive will be using globally-updated displays.
Virtually all current flat panel displays are rolling displays rather than global displays, however. The main exception is plasma TVs.

That's why, when people use the Leo Bodnar Lag Tester on TVs, they get three different results for the top, middle, and bottom sections of the display with an LCD, but the same result at all three positions on a plasma TV - though that result is often a little bit higher.

I have a bit of a question to the owners of these screens: First off: My wife recently got the new Samsung Edge+ phone, using an AMOLED screen: Its bright and colours are REALLY vibrant, and blacks are deep, but... I've noticed a HUGE Red-Blue shift at angles, the screen becomes very green when viewed at an angle. Is this something that current OLED large-screens exhibit? I would hope the new OLED technology wouldn't come with huge angle colour-shift, but that Edge+ really made me worry.

A very, very minor color shift to a cooler white is noticed on white of my OLED TV... but everything else looks fantastic. I too notice the sometimes jarring color shift on my Samsung phone (Note5), but it typically is most noticeable on brighter colors. That is one reason I traded my Edge back after a week... the edges of the screen were cool, but the color shift was not.

I think I found out why though on OLED TV's. When you put it into "PC" mode, supposedly it disables all image and motion processing. You are left with ~49ms input lag. My threory is the anti-Image retention feature of OLED. The input signal needs to be "read" which has to be processed. The TV electronics have to determine if the image is static or not for IR prevention measures. I am starting to bare the input lag as the picture quality and immersion is ridicuous.

Solid black screen Acer X34ck vs OLED:

Alright that's it, time to start saving up for a 4k OLED next year. I'll just have the Acer on the side for competitive online play.

As for fast action FPS gaming, just like any other 60 Hz display, not recommended. I use the display for flight and space sims etc which it does great at.

Can you elaborate on why FPS games aren't a great experience on your OLED? Is it because of input lag or jittery motion compared to high refresh rates?

Yeah I'm curious about that as well, because we get that there's barely any smearing, which is great, but the returns about the actual motion performance of those 60Hz OLED's are a bit confusing.
Like on rtings where they've reviewed an old one they say it's awesome, and at the same time limited by the frequency...then on CNet they mention this too but say the motion resolution is locked at 600 lines in all modes ? Wat ?

Can you elaborate on why FPS games aren't a great experience on your OLED? Is it because of input lag or jittery motion compared to high refresh rates?

Motion looks excellent on the screen, but these TV's have around 40-60ms of input lag. That combined with the 60hz refresh rate might not appeal to some people. I personally think the picture quality improvement is worth it unless you are playing a competitive online shooter or something.

OLED pixels are so fast that there is no ghosting from pixel transitions. But OLED currently being deployed in a 60 Hz sample-and-hold package, there is eye tracking motion blur. Then there is the ~49ms input lag.

You won't be winning any FPS competitions, but it sure is a beautiful world in BF4 and incredibly immersive on the display!

I guess the consensus is that if you are an RPG player, get OLED if you can afford one. The perfect visuals it provides are worth it.

Thanks for the returns about responsiveness, it's still exciting even if it's only 60Hz sample and hold IMHO.

Regarding the lag; well, more manufacturers are about to enter the OLED market, so later with the multiplication of models and series we'll have more chances to see some low-lag ones.

The scaling chip + engine is certainly a new model they've selected (or even engineered themselves) specifically for this set, highly focused on quality output before speed: heavy calculation and post-processing for sure = very high lag.

Pana's playing it safe because they're targeting loaded movie enthusiasts.

I'd expect some years to pass before we see a model fast-enough for games anyway.
Not yet...

Oh poor Panasonic, 86ms in direct mode is ridiculous. 200ms! in TV mode. I think that is one of the highest I've ever seen for a TV.

Definitely not a display suited for PC use, nor console use.

86ms holy shit LOL. Vega how usable would you say 50ms is on the LG for desktop use and single player games? Never used a display with that high lag before and if LG doesn't improve on it with next year's models then I'll have to live with it as well.

It takes some getting used to. I am not as quick in Windows as the mouse isn't as precise of course. I can't just snap to click on something like you can with a 120 + Hz monitor with barely any input lag.

I would not get a OLED TV if you want to do a ton of web surfing or productivity. The OLED is for gorgeous gaming with incredible immersion.

Right now I am contemplating the OLED as my main single player-dark-horror games / flight-space sim / MMORPG display, the Dell 5K display on a swing arm on the right hand side of the OLED solely for Desktop and internet surfing and the new Asus 165 Hz IPS with it's horrible IPS glow just for FPS games on a swing arm on the left. LOL

All of my Titan-X output will be used in that configuration. So that's like $7K worth of displays for my computer just to have the best of all worlds!

Almost everyone in this generation and the next are gamers. That Panny is not suitable for anything in this age.

Oh poor Panasonic, 86ms in direct mode is ridiculous. 200ms! in TV mode. I think that is one of the highest I've ever seen for a TV.

Definitely not a display suited for PC use, nor console use.

200ms in TV mode!? That should be enough to cause severe lip synch issues if you have home theatre connected directly to bluray player, unless it has delay options.

Vega, you are a champion. But photobucket? Why not imgur?

zone64 thanks for your insight.

To the guy that wandered in here asking for OLED IPS, I think my eyeballs almost rolled out. Thanks for the laugh.

As for curved vs flat, curved makes more sense as the screen gets bigger, keeping viewing distance constant. Otherwise the angular resolution will drop to zero and you still never fill your FOV.

But photobucket? Why not imgur?

I completely agree, but:

1. I hate signing up for stuff. Part apathy.
2. Photobucket used to be OK. Now the service completely compresses images to worthlessness.
3. All my photo history is on there and don't have the energy to move everything.

I think this OLED TV is perfectly suitable for FPS gaming - it just takes a little getting used to. Desktop is noticeable sluggish because of V-Sync. So if you enable V-Sync in games, expect it to feel even slower. But I've gotten so used to it I don't even notice the lag in FPS games anymore, unless I fire up an old monitor with faster response times. It's all worth it boys.

Are there any reports about display longevity? I wouldn't want to get one of these and find I needed to replace it in 2 years or even 5 years.

Are there any reports about display longevity? I wouldn't want to get one of these and find I needed to replace it in 2 years or even 5 years.

There's no concrete data on how long these displays will last.

I would say though... in 5 years, it's very likely that OLED goes mainstream by then, so the cost of a warranty on one of these sets now may buy you a whole new TV by then.

I think this OLED TV is perfectly suitable for FPS gaming - it just takes a little getting used to. Desktop is noticeable sluggish because of V-Sync. So if you enable V-Sync in games, expect it to feel even slower. But I've gotten so used to it I don't even notice the lag in FPS games anymore, unless I fire up an old monitor with faster response times. It's all worth it boys.

Well, I think the definition of "suitable" is subjective. As a long time competitive FPS player I most certainly notice the lag and only 60 Hz. Although, being able to see enemies so easily due to the screen size and resolution makes up a little!

Screen tearing is quite evident on 60 Hz displays. I use SLI "Smooth" V-Sync which gets rid of a lot of the lag.

According to LG they say 30,000 hours:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/131200-11-reasons-why-your-next-tv-should-be-oled

Even if it was half that at 15,000 hours, that's eight hours a day for five straight years before brightness is affected. Plenty.

According to LG they say 30,000 hours:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/131200-11-reasons-why-your-next-tv-should-be-oled
Even if it was half that at 15,000 hours, that's eight hours a day for five straight years before brightness is affected. Plenty.
Generally the numbers that display manufacturers release for the "lifetime" of displays is the number of hours to half brightness.
With today's displays, most are still going to be very usable even at half brightness. I would expect a gradual decline, not that the brightness will remain the same until it hits the 30,000 hour mark.

Generally the numbers that display manufacturers release for the "lifetime" of displays is the number of hours to half brightness.
With today's displays, most are still going to be very usable even at half brightness. I would expect a gradual decline, not that the brightness will remain the same until it hits the 30,000 hour mark.

True, the wording in the article could have been better. The rate of brightness "decay" could be very hard to quantify though. Is it linear? Logarithmic? Etc.

True, the wording in the article could have been better. The rate of brightness "decay" could be very hard to quantify though. Is it linear? Logarithmic? Etc.
It probably depends on the display. In my experience it's normally quite linear, though the first few hundred hours may have a steeper decline than the rest.

I'm not saying LG is being misleading with those numbers, but until we have more real world data of how these OLEDs fair over a long period of time, I think the jury's still out. I wouldn't recommend one of these displays to anyone concerned over longevity. If I get 2-3 years out of mine, I'll be happy... but if you're someone that absolutely must get 5 years or more usage, I say hold off.

I had my first plasma TV for a decade; my current TV is a Panasonic VT plasma, and none of the LCDs come anywhere near it. I may upgrade next year for 4K, but only when the picture quality is good enough.

Back