OLED 4K 30" 60 Hz - Dell UP3017Q

I'm also questioning the necessity of this display right now. The new 2017 LG C7 costs about the same, supports 1080p @ 120hz AND has fantastic support for HDR. And lag is quite good 25ms for both game and PC mode. Possibly lower at 120hz mode but nobody has tested it from what I have seen. Only downsides are that they are maybe too big for the most people and they do not have a Displayport.

Is this Dell too little too late? Well, I still kinda hope that it does well so that we may see more OLED displays on the market and hopefully even LG eventually gets his head out of his ass and make monitors or smaller TV's based on their RGBW system which has better burn in resistance and better lifetime.

While I do love LG's OLED TV's, 1080p @ 120 Hz isn't very useful as a monitor. Plus, huge space requirements to push a 55" monitor back four feet on your desk.

While I do love LG's OLED TV's, 1080p @ 120 Hz isn't very useful as a monitor. Plus, huge space requirements to push a 55" monitor back four feet on your desk.
That stupid RGBW pixel structure means they're not very good for displaying text too - at least if you're using 100% scale in Windows.

That stupid RGBW pixel structure means they're not very good for displaying text too - at least if you're using 100% scale in Windows.

You just have to turn off subpixel antialiasing. Better yet, turn off antialiasing altogether if you're using small fonts. Personally I can't stand blurry looking fonts. Blocky beats blurry! (And get rid of the Segoe font. It lacks proper 'hinting').

Reading over the manual some items stuck out to me:

300 cd/m² (≤1% Load) maximum brightness and 120 cd/m² (100% Load). Automatic brightness control is not unexpected from an emmisive display, but I guess I will have to test how significant it is.

90 µs (micro-second) pixel transition speed, or less than 0.1ms. Way faster than other display types.

120Hz (selectable) - obvious typo or some strange low resolution capability. It IS interesting that it does list some lower resolutions at 75 Hz, such as 1280 x 1024. Will definitely be interesting testing the over-clock-ability of the different resolutions.

"OLED Monitor Quality and Pixel Policy" link doesn't seem to work.

"Flicker Free On eliminates flickering by doubling the screen frame rate." This one has me a bit worried. It is known that Samsung OLED displays in Laptops use PWM (240Hz) to prevent image retention. The wording of this isn't very clear. Doubling the screen frame rate?

Last edited:
if it doesn't have some sort of scanning, BFI, or flickering the response time doesn't really matter all that much.

True, eye tracking motion blur is the vast majority of perceived motion blur, but having zero innate trailing/ghosting is still a benefit.

"Flicker Free On eliminates flickering by doubling the screen frame rate." This one has me a bit worried. It is known that Samsung OLED displays in Laptops use PWM (240Hz) to prevent image retention. The wording of this isn't very clear. Doubling the screen frame rate?
That sounds like it always flickers, and the option will double whatever the default flicker frequency is.
Hopefully the default is 60Hz so that's 60/120Hz and not 120/240Hz or 240/480Hz etc.

if it doesn't have some sort of scanning, BFI, or flickering the response time doesn't really matter all that much.
It won't help much with motion blur, but having a really fast response time is still important to have.
With VA panels using backlight strobing you get low motion blur but still a lot of ugly motion smearing.
(I'll never buy another VA-type LCD)

And if you're using G-Sync, response time is the only thing that matters, since you can't run ULMB at the same time.
I couldn't go back to a fixed refresh rate display for gaming now.

You just have to turn off subpixel antialiasing. Better yet, turn off antialiasing altogether if you're using small fonts. Personally I can't stand blurry looking fonts. Blocky beats blurry! (And get rid of the Segoe font. It lacks proper 'hinting').
I don't know how anyone could use non-anti-aliased fonts on a display that size, and at such high resolutions.
At low resolutions on a small monitor - sure, it's fine.
At high resolutions and on big displays, text becomes so thin and wiry that it's bordering on unreadable to me. I couldn't use the TV as a monitor like that.

I use a 55" LG 4k C6 OLED and it is glorious for gaming, productivity and surfing. Content on OLED looks worlds better than even the best VA & IPS screens. And Clear type text is fantastic on it as long as you are running RGB FULL.

My wet dreams consist of 4k, OLED, Gsync and 120hz+ refresh rates....and I hope we reach the promise land within the next two years :)

Last edited:
I use a 55" LG 4k C6 OLED and it is glorious for gaming, productivity and surfing. Content on OLED looks worlds better than even the best VA & IPS screens. And Clear type text is fantastic on it as long as you are running RGB FULL.

My wet dreams consist of 4k, OLED, Gsync and 120hz+ refresh rates....and I hope we reach the promise land within the next two years :)

OK , How u find the need to HDR ? Is really OLED need to HDR or Not ?

You and me both. At least we're half way there. I definitely think that by 2020 all the major vendors will be offering OLED (along with continual refinements to the panel tech) and by that point DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.1 will be widespread. GPUs will have advanced to the point where a single card will be able to do 120Hz @ 4K consistently at max settings.

The future is almost here. :)

I don't know how anyone could use non-anti-aliased fonts on a display that size, and at such high resolutions.
At low resolutions on a small monitor - sure, it's fine.
At high resolutions and on big displays, text becomes so thin and wiry that it's bordering on unreadable to me. I couldn't use the TV as a monitor like that.

It's only 80ppi. Lower than any monitor...

You really need 8K resolution at TV sizes. Then you can use 2x scaling and it will look great.

It's only 80ppi. Lower than any monitor...

You really need 8K resolution at TV sizes. Then you can use 2x scaling and it will look great.

Text on my C6 55" OLED looks better and is easier to read VS text on my S2417DG and I also prefer it over my CF791. However, I sit about 4' away from the screen, which is ideal distance for this Mammoth.

I am excited for this Dell display, but $3,500 is a hard pill to swallow...$2k is about my impulse buy limit :)

You and me both. At least we're half way there. I definitely think that by 2020 all the major vendors will be offering OLED (along with continual refinements to the panel tech) and by that point DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.1 will be widespread. GPUs will have advanced to the point where a single card will be able to do 120Hz @ 4K consistently at max settings.

The future is almost here. :)

Ya know, I would love to believe that...but the mobile market is the only place I really see OLED (or derivatives of it) thriving. I wish we could eradicate LCD tech from the planet, cause once you go OLED Black you nevah go back!

OK , How u find the need to HDR ? Is really OLED need to HDR or Not ?

Most games do not fully use HDR yet and I only play a small handful of games too....in the future I am sure HDR will play a more prominent choice. But for me, the infinite blacks, contrast & superb color blending of the oled rule all.

Last edited:
Quick report:
I got the monitor (it feels a lot smaller than the 32" i was using, but that is partly because of the smaller bezel.)
DP to USB-C didn't work. (I was hoping to see if i could get higher than 60hz @ 4k. But dp 1.2 nor hdmi 2.0 can do that.)
Yes, it can take a 10bit input.
Input lag. No idea. the Leo Bodnar just freaks out on it and just keeps counting up. I tried with hdmi 2.0/1.4, flickerfree on/off. etc...
You DO want to use the anti-flicker mode (it is on by default. Without it.. shocker... it flickers.) I don't notice any pixel shifting when the "image sticking prevention" is on.
The monitors off angle viewing looks great. (which is hard to tell me with less than perfect pix below)
the colors seem a bit off.. i'll have a calibrate the screen later.
WP_20170417_14_16_27_Rich.jpg

WP_20170417_14_18_50_Rich.jpg

WP_20170417_14_45_13_Rich.jpg

screen worth it? HELL yeah. I already own a laptop with an OLED screen and multi OLED TVs. I'm sold on the tech. Not having bleeding light and real back is amazing. Even if this wasn't 10bit (which is already great) i'd be super happy. (I do wish it had dp 1.3/1.4 or HDR.. and a little bigger..)

Is this considered a glossy display? I can see a fair amount of reflection

Not sure if OLED is talked about in the same terms

DP to USB-C didn't work. (I was hoping to see if i could get higher than 60hz @ 4k. But dp 1.2 nor hdmi 2.0 can do that.)

Have you tried setting up a 75hz or 90hz or 120hz resolution in Custom Resolution Utility over the DP or HDMI connection? I bet you can go higher than 60hz, especially if you drop from 10-bit color to 8-bit. Also, might be worth trying the pixel clock patcher from the same page.

Thanks for taking pics by the way.

Have you tried setting up a 75hz or 90hz or 120hz resolution in Custom Resolution Utility over the DP or HDMI connection? I bet you can go higher than 60hz, especially if you drop from 10-bit color to 8-bit. Also, might be worth trying the pixel clock patcher from the same page.

Thanks for taking pics by the way.

i tried custom resolution at 1080p and 1400p (using dp. which is 1.2 on the monitor and 1.4 on the video card)
only 1080p 75hz worked. Not 90hz or 120hz (nor 75hz at 1440p)

only 1080p 75hz worked. Not 90hz or 120hz (nor 75hz at 1440p)

Try it over HDMI. You'll be surprised. All the people that got their non-freesync monitors to act like freesync monitors were doing it over HDMI. And with the Extension Block section you can increase your max pixel clock.

i am mesmerized by the nagging an OLED display can receive [H]ere::rolleyes:

. 60 Hz now instead of 120 Hz but at least they put DP 1.2 and HDMI 2.0 on it.

For F sake:(, OLED at 60Hz is better than any other TFT at 240Hz without a strobing backlight, and may even beat a few VA panels with strobing backlights.

4k 120Hz without *Sync or a strobing backlight would be mostly a gimmick

They are succeeding in convincing some people than now they need 1000 nits displays.

Personally I don't really want my TV or Monitor to blind me.

all is not lost as long as some gamers use brains to make [H]ardware purchase decisions :cool:

What?

3840 x 2160 on a 30" is the same real estate as 3840 x 2160 on a 55-65".

The C7 is also a TV. Worse ms (relatively speaking), and almost half the PPI.

We have an alien among us! Humans can not use a 4k 30" at native resolution at the same desktop "real state". scaling is mandatory at this size, and scaling kills any "real state" argument of 4k. 4k at 30" is all about image quality, not " real state"

I wonder if it can be overclocked to 75 or 90hz with CRU. You should try on both HDMI and Displayport.

More of the same line of thought:(

i assume you never had any real life experience with either an OLED Tv or a 27-32" 4k monitors: the TVs are off the charts in reading comfort, and it is impossible to read comfortably at 100% scaling on a 4k 30".

That sounds like it always flickers

OLEDs more often than not have some built-in tech to avoid image retention.

Text on my C6 55" OLED looks better and is easier to read VS text on my S2417DG and I also prefer it over my CF791

Nothing like someone who actually owns the displays to comment on them:p

only 1080p 75hz worked

OLED at 75hz must be amazing:D

Mine came in, funny thing it says manufactured in Oct 16. So they've been stockpiling these for a while.

blur monitor is pretty good. no trail (ghosting) and better than the predator. But it is still a sample and hold screen. :)

Last edited:
Mine came in, funny thing it says manufactured in Oct 16. So they've been stockpiling these for a while.

yeah, mine was Oct 2016 too and kinda dusty :) odd packaging, no?

I'll buy one next year or so then when it hits closer to $2500. Maybe by then it they will be 75hz native or 120hz, and see what the input lag is like. 4k 144Hz Ips Fald is dead on arrival now.

I can't believe i almost made it with my crts until Oled, 1 year short, i consider it a badge of honor to have only had to use an lcd for this short of time as that was my plan 14 years ago and i just nearly made it. It's a stupid thing but it's big deal to me. FUCK LCDS. Fuck them in the ass. I feel like a weight has been lifted and now i will happily suffer for a little longer just knowing it's likely to only get better hence forth. Crazy though that it dropped like this. In fact i realize now i had seen these thread headlines and totally ignored it because i though it was the same old threads getting bumped and considered it dead an pointless. Even when i saw the TFT Central headline i didn't believe it was real :ROFLMAO:.

Reactions: zurv
like this
I'll buy one next year or so then when it hits closer to $2500. Maybe by then it they will be 75hz native or 120hz, and see what the input lag is like. 4k 144Hz Ips Fald is dead on arrival now.

I can't believe i almost made it with my crts until Oled, 1 year short, i consider it a badge of honor to have only had to use an lcd for this short of time as that was my plan 14 years ago and i just nearly made it. It's a stupid thing but it's big deal to me. FUCK LCDS. Fuck them in the ass. I feel like a weight has been lifted and now i will happily suffer for a little longer just knowing it's likely to only get better hence forth. Crazy though that it dropped like this. In fact i realize now i had seen these thread headlines and totally ignored it because i though it was the same old threads getting bumped and considered it dead an pointless. Even when i saw the TFT Central headline i didn't believe it was real :ROFLMAO:.

Fuck LCDs in the ass indeed..... still got my FW900 and rockin a C6 4k OLED :)

I am in the camp of Try Overclocking with the HDMI and see if that gets ya anywhere!

Last edited:
Yes, in "flicker free mode" it is double pulsing the back-light at 120 Hz. If you turn off "flicker-free", the flickering once per 60 Hz is crazy noticeable even worse than old CRT's.

Which begs the question, now that the new LG C7 is reviewed to have 1080p/120hz input, would this monitor be a viable competition against the C7, assuming we are not considering sizes.

It is about mid way between full gloss and semi-gloss. Looks like possible plasma-enhanced chemical vapor deposition.

Input lag in my tests are in the low 20's ms.

Still waiting for 4k/120+ and HDR. Hopefully next year?

Anyway, I guess the second question I have, which can't be answered now, is image retention. With my TV, it's not really an issue, because I tend to chance things up. I had OLED monitors at my last job, and had massive issues, mainly because one guy would leave the screens on overnight, every night, without turning on any sort of power savings... And even if just me, I'm a programmer, so I'm going to have the task bar or other static icons up for hours on end.

How can they charge that much money for something that doesn't even have FreeSync? What a joke. As if I'll ever buy a monitor that doesn't support variable refresh again.

Anyway, I guess the second question I have, which can't be answered now, is image retention. With my TV, it's not really an issue, because I tend to chance things up. I had OLED monitors at my last job, and had massive issues, mainly because one guy would leave the screens on overnight, every night, without turning on any sort of power savings... And even if just me, I'm a programmer, so I'm going to have the task bar or other static icons up for hours on end.

At the very least I think you want to auto hide the taskbar and don't always leave your windows in the same position. My OLED phone has permanent burn in where the black nav bar resides and it's really annoying!

Still waiting for 4k/120+ and HDR. Hopefully next year?

Guy sounds like a complete moron. Did you have the Sony master monitor OLED's? Those are the only monitors I know existed in the OLED realm before this Dell. I just have task-bar on auto hide. This Dell has strobing pixel refresh and pixel shift, two anti-image retention features. Zero image retention experienced so far.

How can they charge that much money for something that doesn't even have FreeSync? What a joke. As if I'll ever buy a monitor that doesn't support variable refresh again.

Most monitors and almost all professional monitors don't have FreeSync. It doesn't matter what the monitor costs either since Free-Sync is free. IF you can afford a $3500 display, you most likely have the GPU horsepower to never drop below 60 FPS at 4K anyway. ;)

Back