OLED 3D TV for PC NVidia 3D Vision? + Console gaming in 3D?

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice.

I think I am going to go with a 4k OLDE 55" or maybe bigger. It seems an LG OLED of this size would work okay as a PC monitor if I sit a few feet back and have a large desk.

My question is, do I need to look up a list for nvidia 3d vision TVs? I have the v1 3d vision kit with the active glasses but no monitor for 3d anymore. Do OLED TVS require some type of hack? If so what do I need to do?

I guess I am wanting to:

#1 watch 3d movies (not sure what I need for this, how do I buy content for this?)
#2 play 3d pc games
#3 potentially play console in 3D, I have all the latest systems besides the switch.

I have a gtx970, I will probably need to upgrade for 4k gaming.

Ideally good value on price.

Thanks

I had a 3D Vision setup for a long time. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I'm pretty sure that something like a C6 (I'm guessing that's what you're looking at) won't work with 3D vision. I think the monitor has to explicitly support the spec. If it doesn't have a nVidia 3D Vision logo on the box, I wouldn't count on it working.

That said, 3D Vision isn't really a thing anymore IMHO. Again, this is coming from a long time user and supporter of the technology. If you want to get your 3D fix, grab an Oculus Rift and play Elite: Dangerous or EVE: Valkyrie.

For #1 You'll need 3D BluRays, a BluRay drive, and software that supports 3D BluRay playback. Cyberlink has a popular one, and there are others out there. None of the good ones are free last time I checked. Someone feel free to correct me. Linus from LTT called 3D BluRay an "abortion of a technology" in his "Are 4K HDR BluRays worth it?" video

I actually tried a C6 as a PC monitor a few days ago and ended up returning it to Best Buy. My advice: don't do it. 4K HDR is great, just don't hook your PC up to it. The input lag is fine for controller. Not for kb/m. Also there is no substitute for g-sync. Hook a sweet 1440p 144hz IPS GSYNC monitor up to your PC and forget about it. Hook a nice 4K TV up to your XBox One S and PS4 Pro (and play Horizon Zero Dawn already!)

I had a 3D Vision setup for a long time. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I'm pretty sure that something like a C6 (I'm guessing that's what you're looking at) won't work with 3D vision. I think the monitor has to explicitly support the spec. If it doesn't have a nVidia 3D Vision logo on the box, I wouldn't count on it working.

That said, 3D Vision isn't really a thing anymore IMHO. Again, this is coming from a long time user and supporter of the technology. If you want to get your 3D fix, grab an Oculus Rift and play Elite: Dangerous or EVE: Valkyrie.

For #1 You'll need 3D BluRays, a BluRay drive, and software that supports 3D BluRay playback. Cyberlink has a popular one, and there are others out there. None of the good ones are free last time I checked. Someone feel free to correct me. Linus from LTT called 3D BluRay an "abortion of a technology" in his "Are 4K HDR BluRays worth it?" video

I actually tried a C6 as a PC monitor a few days ago and ended up returning it to Best Buy. My advice: don't do it. 4K HDR is great, just don't hook your PC up to it. The input lag is fine for controller. Not for kb/m. Also there is no substitute for g-sync. Hook a sweet 1440p 144hz IPS GSYNC monitor up to your PC and forget about it. Hook a nice 4K TV up to your XBox One S and PS4 Pro (and play Horizon Zero Dawn already!)

Thank you for your response. Yeah, I am looking at the LG OLED55C6P (curved but only one to support 3D).

Yeah, I think you are right, such a shame, I am seeing that 3D for movies seems to be dead at the consumer level too :'(. I still have a 720p 3D Vision projector but I didn't get it setup right (doesn't seem to get recognized correctly any more, might need to hook directly into hdmi).

So I might just buy a 3D 1080p projector to get some 3d movies going at the very least. Not sure if that is even a thing still either. I might go ultra cheap on this, let me know your thoughts if any on this.

I suppose I mostly watch videos + do work on my computer, I don't game much anymore. So I wonder what you think about that use case for the OLED? Even then, I suppose I care most about work / big screen so OLED might be overkill for me. I was going to go for it because I thought 3D would be amazing and I had been missing out, I really like 3D at the cinema.

Though, I am not sure I care as much about the high refresh rate beyond 60hz or input lag as I am a terrible FPS player. Though, I should totally try getting a cheaper 144hz monitor. Besides not really being able to use a mouse anymore due to RSI, I think the other thing I remember being sucky about fast paced games was getting almost a light headache from them... so maybe a super high quality 144hz++ monitor would help. Is there's a recommended list somewhere if I don't wanna spend crazy money?

Just got a refurb 4k 40" samsung 6290 for $230 after tax and it's hard to compete with that value assuming it doesn't crap out on me :p. So far it's great and I can't really complain at this price. Just maybe a bit small from where I sit with a weird extra large desk. Even so, I should have bought 3 of them.

Have you tried the Samsung KS8000 btw? for gaming I mean. I guess it probably has similar problems.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I'm pretty sure that something like a C6 (I'm guessing that's what you're looking at) won't work with 3D vision. I think the monitor has to explicitly support the spec. If it doesn't have a nVidia 3D Vision logo on the box, I wouldn't count on it working.

And here is the official list of supported displays.

That said, I was hoping maybe someone could hack the EDIDinfo of one of these monitors onto the C6 and get 3DVision working at 1080p. Would be an interesting experiment...

Yeah, I am looking at the LG OLED55C6P (curved but only one to support 3D).

Cool, literally the exact same model I tried a few days ago, and mostly for the same reasons. The 3D is supposed to be that good.
Yeah, I think you are right, such a shame, I am seeing that 3D for movies seems to be dead at the consumer level too :'(

Man, I hear you. I've been doing 3D Vision since before it was cool. Not quite as into consumer 3D. I personally always only kind of liked 3D at the theaters. I like it if the technology is good. And the tech on the LG OLED we're talking about it supposed to be seriously good 3D.
So I might just buy a 3D 1080p projector to get some 3d movies going at the very least. Not sure if that is even a thing still either. I might go ultra cheap on this, let me know your thoughts if any on this.

Hey, it's up to you. The content for consumer 3D movies is kind of limited. I don't think consumers really latched onto it in a big way, so it's probably going to stay a fairly niche thing.
Though, I am not sure I care as much about the high refresh rate beyond 60hz or input lag as I am a terrible FPS player. Though, I should totally try getting a cheaper 144hz monitor. Besides not really being able to use a mouse anymore due to RSI, I think the other thing I remember being sucky about fast paced games was getting almost a light headache from them... so maybe a super high quality 144hz++ monitor would help. Is there's a recommended list somewhere if I don't wanna spend crazy money?

Same here. Last year I got into Black Ops 3 and played a lot online, but beyond that I'm not really into competitive gaming. Honestly, unless you're all about CS:GO or something, 144hz isn't really a must-have (though it is nice!). I wanted so hard to believe in my 55" OLED TV-as-a-monitor. What really got me was

1) High input lag: even forgetting gaming altogether, I work from home quite often and spend lots of time in front of my computer. I'm used to my cursor being 4ms behind my physical mouse movements. Having that around 35-40ms ended up being a very noticeable negative difference. I'm sure you could get used to it. Some more than others perhaps.

2) G-sync. One of those technologies that ruins you. I just can't go back now. I had no idea how accustomed my brain was to everything being instant and butter smooth (almost) regardless of framerate. You can address this with V-sync but then you add even MORE input lag to the already high 35-40ms. Also V-sync just generally sucks, so there's that too. One interesting thing to note is that consoles often don't have this as a very noticeable problem. Console development has the luxury of fixed hardware specs which is not the case with PC games. This lets developers target and usually achieve near-perfect frame timing which usually lets them address the issue of screen tearing without resorting to V-sync as we know it. Also, it's surprising how smooth 30fps can feel when it's delivered at a perfectly consistent 30fps.

My big problem/regret is that I bought a nice 75" 4k TV a couple of months ago without fully understanding the benefits of OLED and HDR. If I could go back and do it all over again, I'd get an LG OLED66C6P for the console games, movies, and awesome 3D. I'm holding out for one of the new ASUS or Acer 4k displays (we'll see if I have the willpower to hold out for 30-32" over 27" which is just silly) for my computer. Having 55" of TV right in front of my face for my computer was annoying and not as magical as I had hoped. Couch + living room is a different story IMHO
Have you tried the Samsung KS8000 btw? for gaming I mean. I guess it probably has similar problems.

That TV will be pretty much the same situation. Again, it's totally doable. I think it just comes down to personal preference.

Cool, literally the exact same model I tried a few days ago, and mostly for the same reasons. The 3D is supposed to be that good.

Man, I hear you. I've been doing 3D Vision since before it was cool. Not quite as into consumer 3D. I personally always only kind of liked 3D at the theaters. I like it if the technology is good. And the tech on the LG OLED we're talking about it supposed to be seriously good 3D.

Hey, it's up to you. The content for consumer 3D movies is kind of limited. I don't think consumers really latched onto it in a big way, so it's probably going to stay a fairly niche thing.

Same here. Last year I got into Black Ops 3 and played a lot online, but beyond that I'm not really into competitive gaming. Honestly, unless you're all about CS:GO or something, 144hz isn't really a must-have (though it is nice!). I wanted so hard to believe in my 55" OLED TV-as-a-monitor. What really got me was

1) High input lag: even forgetting gaming altogether, I work from home quite often and spend lots of time in front of my computer. I'm used to my cursor being 4ms behind my physical mouse movements. Having that around 35-40ms ended up being a very noticeable negative difference. I'm sure you could get used to it. Some more than others perhaps.

2) G-sync. One of those technologies that ruins you. I just can't go back now. I had no idea how accustomed my brain was to everything being instant and butter smooth (almost) regardless of framerate. You can address this with V-sync but then you add even MORE input lag to the already high 35-40ms. Also V-sync just generally sucks, so there's that too. One interesting thing to note is that consoles often don't have this as a very noticeable problem. Console development has the luxury of fixed hardware specs which is not the case with PC games. This lets developers target and usually achieve near-perfect frame timing which usually lets them address the issue of screen tearing without resorting to V-sync as we know it. Also, it's surprising how smooth 30fps can feel when it's delivered at a perfectly consistent 30fps.

My big problem/regret is that I bought a nice 75" 4k TV a couple of months ago without fully understanding the benefits of OLED and HDR. If I could go back and do it all over again, I'd get an LG OLED66C6P for the console games, movies, and awesome 3D. I'm holding out for one of the new ASUS or Acer 4k displays (we'll see if I have the willpower to hold out for 30-32" over 27" which is just silly) for my computer. Having 55" of TV right in front of my face for my computer was annoying and not as magical as I had hoped. Couch + living room is a different story IMHO

That TV will be pretty much the same situation. Again, it's totally doable. I think it just comes down to personal preference.

:) I will have to try G-Sync after I buy a few more 4k monitors.

I didn't realize that the Samsung 6290 was a VA panel. I honestly thought it was IPS. Maybe I am wrong. Either way, I am really happy with it and only noticed an annoyance when it was set to 30hz, at 60 hz its perfect for me.

I honestly might just get 3 more of these 6290's. Maybe if I go see an OLED at bestbuy in person it will blow me away.

I came pretty close to purchasing a 70" e-class visio myself but the PPI might annoy me a bit much for a PC monitor.

What was annoying about the 55" in your experience? neck strain or PPI? I am mostly concerned about PPI.

Kind of hard to justify a 55" OLED for $1.5k++ when you can get 3 x 40" 4k at $690. Kind of torn, I love getting value but my 3007WFP has served me well even after all these years and it was pretty pricey back in the day too.

Have you tried ultrawide format btw? Not sure if I have fallen victim to marketing but I kinda want to try one, even though it's less screen real estate then a full 4k monitor.

The beauty of OLED is its blacks and contrast..... no amount of VA bargain volume deals can equal that. VA is poor mans OLED and OLED is affordable if you know where to look.

This thread is breaking my heart. I *so* much want to buy an LG OLED55C6P, and use it to create my own real-time passive HD 3D software! Ideally, I'd like to use WebGL, which seems even less likely, as I don't think it does quad-buffering. Is there a way? I might even resort to coding in Panda3D. Is it hopeless?

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice.

I think I am going to go with a 4k OLDE 55" or maybe bigger. It seems an LG OLED of this size would work okay as a PC monitor if I sit a few feet back and have a large desk.

My question is, do I need to look up a list for nvidia 3d vision TVs? I have the v1 3d vision kit with the active glasses but no monitor for 3d anymore. Do OLED TVS require some type of hack? If so what do I need to do?

I guess I am wanting to:

#1 watch 3d movies (not sure what I need for this, how do I buy content for this?)
#2 play 3d pc games
#3 potentially play console in 3D, I have all the latest systems besides the switch.

I have a gtx970, I will probably need to upgrade for 4k gaming.

Ideally good value on price.

Thanks
I hope i m not too late , but 3d vision works great with lg oled c6 , i have the same tv connected to my pc , u just need to use an EDID driver for the tv which is very simple to use and it takes 2min and an Eye Swapper app and ur set to go .
4k 3d in games with proper helix fix ( community that fixes all 3d vision games ) is just amazing and specially on an OLED , i cant describe how good it is . Keep in mind though that u need a beast of a pc to run 4k 3d , i have 2 1080ti's and i have to turn aome settings down in demanding games to maintain 60fps .

I hope i m not too late , but 3d vision works great with lg oled c6 , i have the same tv connected to my pc , u just need to use an EDID driver for the tv which is very simple to use and it takes 2min and an Eye Swapper app and ur set to go .
4k 3d in games with proper helix fix ( community that fixes all 3d vision games ) is just amazing and specially on an OLED , i cant describe how good it is . Keep in mind though that u need a beast of a pc to run 4k 3d , i have 2 1080ti's and i have to turn aome settings down in demanding games to maintain 60fps .

Hi, tnaik!

Can you please explain in little more detail how you got games working properly? Which EDID driver etc

I have LG E7, Nvidia 1060 and 3D Vision 2 kit and stereoscopic videos are working just fine (there is swap left/right switch in player), but games - not so much..

I tried couple of games that should have good 3D Vision support (Batman Arkham Asylum for one) but there is strong double vision.
Though - when i close one or other eye then i see that (for example) a line on the ground is stronger opposite side (eyes swapped) but i already tried eye swapper app and it seems only for a moment to switch around and then switches right back..

Hi all!
So it's possible to use 3d vision at 1080p 120hz on OLED tvs?
I've managed to actvate it on my LG 4K B7P (it have navite 1080p120) but it have massive ghosting. Which EDID override are you using?

Hi, tnaik!

Can you please explain in little more detail how you got games working properly? Which EDID driver etc

I have LG E7, Nvidia 1060 and 3D Vision 2 kit and stereoscopic videos are working just fine (there is swap left/right switch in player), but games - not so much..

I tried couple of games that should have good 3D Vision support (Batman Arkham Asylum for one) but there is strong double vision.
Though - when i close one or other eye then i see that (for example) a line on the ground is stronger opposite side (eyes swapped) but i already tried eye swapper app and it seems only for a moment to switch around and then switches right back..
Hey, sorry again for the late reply, i dont check very often.
The lg E7 is the 2017 model, to my knowledge its not 3d capable, but anyway u can try the Acer HR274H passive 3D minitor EDID, search for it on google and ull find it easily, after thay u need to disable in windows driver protection so u can install unofficial drivers, and install in device manager the acer EDID for ur lg oled, all what is left is the install a 3d eye swapper so u dont have to wear the glasses upsid down lol, thats all and 3d should be working great without any hassle after that, if u have further question dont hesitate to ask.

My TV supports 720p and 1080p at 120hz input from hdmi. But 3d vision seems out of sync.
Tested even with force EDID from an Asus h5360 projector. Same problem.

Back