Oldish Computer Not Powering Up

Syribo

[H]ard|Gawd
First I wanted to say thanks (yet again ;)) for the help in http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1433928 that thread. Got the new router, and my network is up and running again :)

But now I'm having ANOTHER problem, of course right? My Dell Dimension 4550 that I bought back in 2003 will NOT power on. It's been working fine for all these years (It's actually a pretty fast computer if all you need is the internet, media sharing, etc) but since I shut it down a few days ago when my router died and the network stopped working, it won't turn on.

I press the power button, nothing. Something must be working because the ethernet port is lit up.. I even tried switching power cords. Do you guys know what I should try and check for first? I know how to get in and take apart and put together my new computer but when it comes to my Dell, I have no idea WTF to do with this thing heh. I've only opened it up a few times in the past.. and that was just to clean it out (It collects dust like a lint trap!).

I really love this old PC and would be so sad if it was finally dead :( I use every day for various tasks.. it's nice having two computers to work on ;)

Any ideas? It's just weird because it worked perfectly fine until I left it off for those few days :(

The first thing to check is that the motherboard power connectors and front panel harness are seated correctly. Push those down and/or remove and reseat the cables. Also check for dust or other foreign objects while the case is open.

You can test the power supply by disconnecting all the cables from it to the motherboard and drives, then either using a PSU tester device or a paper clip to see if it powers on.

To test if the PSU powers on using a paper clip:
(Don't do this if you are uncomfortable with the idea)

Get a paper clip and bend it so both ends are close to each other. Find the power on wire (green) and short it to a ground (black) like this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/power supply test paper clip/Coolermaster_1951/PSpoweron.jpg The PSU is dead if it it will not power on (not necessarily true for all PSUs, but it does apply to most PSUs and the ones Dell used/uses). Even if it powers on, that does not necessarily mean the PSU is good.

Before the 1999 crew arrives, the 4550 uses a regular sized and standard pinout ATX 12V power supply. You can test it in another system if you find that it powers on using the paper clip trick. If you find that the PSU is bad, you can use any replacement you want as long as the replacement doesn't have a rear power switch. There is no cut out in the back of the chassis to fit a model with a power switch.

The first thing to check is that the motherboard power connectors and front panel harness are seated correctly. Push those down and/or remove and reseat the cables. Also check for dust or other foreign objects while the case is open.

You can test the power supply by disconnecting all the cables from it to the motherboard and drives, then either using a PSU tester device or a paper clip to see if it powers on.

To test if the PSU powers on using a paper clip:
(Don't do this if you are uncomfortable with the idea)

Get a paper clip and bend it so both ends are close to each other. Find the power on wire (green) and short it to a ground (black) like this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/power supply test paper clip/Coolermaster_1951/PSpoweron.jpg The PSU is dead if it it will not power on (not necessarily true for all PSUs, but it does apply to most PSUs and the ones Dell used/uses). Even if it powers on, that does not necessarily mean the PSU is good.

Before the 1999 crew arrives, the 4550 uses a regular sized and standard pinout ATX 12V power supply. You can test it in another system if you find that it powers on using the paper clip trick. If you find that the PSU is bad, you can use any replacement you want as long as the replacement doesn't have a rear power switch. There is no cut out in the back of the chassis to fit a model with a power switch.

Thank you! I'm going to try this stuff.. well.. the paper clip thing kinda scares me a bit :x I actually need to pick up a can of compressed air... I know my Dell is probably encased with dust on the inside. I really don't take such great care of it, I must admit :( I'm always cleaning out my new system but the poor Dell has been so neglected. If I can get it cleaned out and working fine again, I'll definitely be taking better care of from now on to ensure its longevity xD

Okay, I've just left the computer alone since I made this post. I'm planning on taking it outside and opening it and cleaning it out tomorrow when I get that can of compressed air... But something strange just happened.

I'm sitting here (Trying to figure out a DIFFERENT problem of mine I keep having that no one can figure out what's going on) and all of a sudden I notice my second monitor go on. The Dell restarted itself 4-5 times, just getting stuck at the first screen you get when you turn it on, and that was it. Now the power light is on, but there is nothing on the screen. Very strange.

The other problem I'm having, I doubt anyone could even help with.. my ISP doesn't even know wtf is going on, they claim the problem is not on their end. My internet is getting disconnected 10-20 times a day. It only takes about 2-3 seconds for it to reconnect again, but it's very annoying when you're trying to play a game or something, to get disconnected multiple times in just a few minutes.

Then about two weeks ago, or less, one of my hard drives died... My router died last week... I'm starting to think something is very very wrong here :( But I can't see what it is.

A little update :x I finally got around to taking this computer outside the other day and cleaning it out. I also made sure all the wires were seated correctly, and reseated them. Everything is fine.. So I took it back inside, and when I powered it up it just continues to do the endless restarts :(

Not sure what step to take next..

The other problem I'm having, I doubt anyone could even help with.. my ISP doesn't even know wtf is going on, they claim the problem is not on their end. My internet is getting disconnected 10-20 times a day. It only takes about 2-3 seconds for it to reconnect again, but it's very annoying when you're trying to play a game or something, to get disconnected multiple times in just a few minutes.

Had the same problem with road runner when I got it here. Technician couldn't figure it out said they were going to send someone to check the lines or something in a couple days I said how about we try another modem before you leave. He hooked the new modem up and no problem since.

Are you getting any beep codes?

And are you sure all of the cables are secured?

Also, try booting up without your GPU powered. One time I had endless restarts and needed to replace a faulty GPU. (This probably isn't the problem; but it's worth a look)

Back