Older system graphics card upgrade?

Budman

I put the Bad in Bad Grandpa!
Hello all... I have an older PC that I only use to do some online racing (IRacing) on. It is starting to get a little long in the tooth in the graphics area. I like running with all the eye candy turned on and it's starting to have some problems keeping up. Some tracks the frame rates are in the high 20's

It's an older I5 4690 stock on a Gigabyte H97-D3H mother board with 16gb of DDR3 ram.
The graphics card in question is a Gigabyte AMD HD 6950 with 1 gb of video memory.

With a budget of around $150-175 what can I purchase that my older motherboard will still handle?
I'm retired so I don't want to spend a whole lot of money upgrading this system.

I'm just looking to upgrade the video card and I'm curious what you guys suggest as to the "Best Bang for the Buck"

Thanks in advance.

If you don't mind Nvidia, would think a 1650 might give you the best for the buck.
(maybe)

Google tells me an 8G AMD RX570 is a better deal.

Isn't Iracing CPU limited? I think I read it can use more than 4 threads.

Iracing usually has a pretty good update about once a month. About a year ago I used to get frame rates in the 80's. Now on some tracks it's below 30.

That is why I thought it was the video card. I found that I purchased this video card on 12/28/2011 so this card is over 8 yrs old. So I think it's time to upgrade.

I'm just not sure what my motherboard can run? Can I use a new PCI-Express 3.0 card with this MB?

How much better is the RX 580 over the RX 570?

"Used RX 580's are in the sub $100 range" ... I'm not a big fan of buying used PC parts. I would rather buy new with a factory warranty.

I'm ok with either Nividia or AMD as I have had both in the past. What is Nvidia's equal to the RX580?

Thanks, Again

Iracing usually has a pretty good update about once a month. About a year ago I used to get frame rates in the 80's. Now on some tracks it's below 30.

That is why I thought it was the video card. I found that I purchased this video card on 12/28/2011 so this card is over 8 yrs old. So I think it's time to upgrade.

I'm just not sure what my motherboard can run? Can I use a new PCI-Express 3.0 card with this MB?

How much better is the RX 580 over the RX 570?

"Used RX 580's are in the sub $100 range" ... I'm not a big fan of buying used PC parts. I would rather buy new with a factory warranty.

I'm ok with either Nividia or AMD as I have had both in the past. What is Nvidia's equal to the RX580?

Thanks, Again

You should have no MB issues that I can think of, Others might chime in if so.

GTX1060 6gb was the equal, so more like the GTX1650-1660 of the new series.
The 580 has quite a bit of more juice than the 570 imo.

580 is about 15-20% > 570

nVidia equivalent is a 1660 (580 is a tad slower)

I use to play it years ago with an HD 7950 and 290x both at 5760 x 1080 in Eyefinity … but unknown what has change since then but you want 3 panels for iRacing for best effects with IR on your head .

So the RX 570 8Gb = 290x performance and brand like XFX they really clock up to RX 580 levels .. forget a high price card with a DDR 3 platform

Last edited:
Hello all... I have an older PC that I only use to do some online racing (IRacing) on. It is starting to get a little long in the tooth in the graphics area. I like running with all the eye candy turned on and it's starting to have some problems keeping up. Some tracks the frame rates are in the high 20's

It's an older I5 4690 stock on a Gigabyte H97-D3H mother board with 16gb of DDR3 ram.
The graphics card in question is a Gigabyte AMD HD 6950 with 1 gb of video memory.

With a budget of around $150-175 what can I purchase that my older motherboard will still handle?
I'm retired so I don't want to spend a whole lot of money upgrading this system.

I'm just looking to upgrade the video card and I'm curious what you guys suggest as to the "Best Bang for the Buck"

Thanks in advance.

Well, I am seling a less than year old XFX Radeon RX 570 8GB card if you would like to consider that. ($110)

https://hardforum.com/threads/fs-xfx-rx570-8gb-rs-black-edition-110.1984685/

The card itself is solid, I just do not have a computer to install it in, since I bought an RX 5700 about 8 days ago.

If you can spring $185:
https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-rx-580-100411p8gocl/p/N82E16814202278?Description=rx 580&cm_re=rx_580-_-14-202-278-_-Product

Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 PCI-E Dual HDMI / DVI-D / Dual DP OC w/ Backplate (UEFI), 100411P8GOCL
+ $15 off w/ promo code 73BTCR25, limited offer

This is a good card as well but, do not forget that you also need to pay sales tax with it.

580 is fine, but I'd have gone with the 570 for $80 less. Just purely on value to perf. It's close.

I didn't see anyone ask you what power supply you had. The RX 570 will work on just about anything. You can cringe a little and just run in on most 450-500w supplies as long as they have a video connector.

The 580... 500w bare bleeding minimum. 550w+ preferred. Assuming you care if the supply lasts more than a year on an old system.

Your CPU should hold it's own for a while. I'm running a 4670k@4ghz with a gtx 1080 and seems to be handling it just fine.
Your 580 should go nicely with it.

Reactions: Auer
like this
I have it installed and it runs great. With all the eye-candy turned on and AA set to max I'm getting frame rates in triple digits. I guess I can't blame my shitty driving on my video card now lol. I have a Corsair 750w PS so I'm good there.

Thanks again for all the help and I'm a happy camper with my purchase.

You should try and finds some cheap used 1080p panels as 3 make 5760 x 1080 and give you the whole effect of a normal sized car with Eyefinity and that game use to support CX and adding a cheap RX570 adds a nice boost if supported still .. just more upgrade paths for you as why the IR on the head was needed without moving the mouse .

Back