Old titles experiencing performance issues on new hardware?

VOID93

n00b
Hello everyone! I got such a great response here on my last thread I thought I should try again! My system is as follows:

------------- Ryzen 7 3800x---Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler---EVGA Hybrid Cooled RTX 2080 Super---16Gb (8+8) Gskill Trident RGB Memory 3600---Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb---Seagate Baracuda 3TB---RM850X PSU---ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VIII -------------

My problem is that, since quarantine has left me rather bored, I tried to boot up and play some old games, specifically Borderlands 2 and Planetside 2. The performance was really really bad regardless of settings. I popped onto my on screen overlay and realized that, even at maximum super high settings at 1440p the GPU only feels the need to hit like 30% or 40% usage. I do not know how to FORCE them to use up all of my GPU. It is not temps and modern games work much better. Planetside 2 specifically seems to be the worst (unable to top 60FPS regardless of Vsync settings). Are there any people who have has similar issues with older games on new hardware?

Thanks!

if you have a 1440p 60hz monitor thats that youll get unless you turn off vsync and any frame limits/targets. something has to be locking it to 60.

if you have a 1440p 60hz monitor thats that youll get unless you turn off vsync and any frame limits/targets. something has to be locking it to 60.

Nah i have a 144Hz monitor and I have vsync DEactivated. That is why I am confused.

Thanks!

make sure its turned off in the nvidia control panel.
edit: this is turn to unlimited?

Yeah those are uncapped in both games I believe. Nvidia panel also does NOT have Vsync on. Sorry that this image is so big, here are my planetside 2 settings. locked at 60 still tho. I have a 144hz monitor and I have tried with Vsync on AND off.

image0.jpeg

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    432.9 KB · Views: 0
Maybe not applicable to your case, also not really a solution, but one day I started up some half life deathmatch and realized vsync was on (mainly the mouse lag). In-game settings, vsync off. Nvidia settings, vsync off. Not sure what changed, some steam update screwed something up? Couldn't figure it out, but eventually I tried playing in windowed mode and found that in windowed mode vsync was off and the game felt much better. So now I play half life deathmatch in windowed mode :p

Bad performance on modern equipment try 7th Guest. Love this OLD game still a slide show back then and now.

Last edited:
Try setting Power management mode in the NVIDIA control panel to "Prefer maximum performance." EVGA Precision X1 also has a toggle that you can use to force the card to use 100% power.

One thing I noticed when I first got my 2080 is that all the games were rendering in a higher resolution than my monitor support which was giving me lower fps than the 290 I moved up from. If you go to the Nvidia control panel, click on "Adjust desktop size and position" and select "No scaling" that fixed all my FPS issues

One thing I noticed when I first got my 2080 is that all the games were rendering in a higher resolution than my monitor support which was giving me lower fps than the 290 I moved up from. If you go to the Nvidia control panel, click on "Adjust desktop size and position" and select "No scaling" that fixed all my FPS issues
That should not be happening, but worth a check. Games certainly don't render at a higher resolution on my PC using Windows scaling instead of NVIDIA scaling. If that were the case I'd expect the video card utilization to be higher than what OP is reporting.

I don't know but that's what did it for me. I remember the first game playing after getting my new card was Apex and the FPS drops were bad. I thoguht it was maybe drivers, or the game or something weird with my new build. I then tried a few games and it was all terrible. Then I remember logging into Overwatch (I think) and seeing the resolution much higher than my monitor supports. I then checked a few other games and saw the same thing, super high resolution. Turned off windows scaling and fixed all my problems and I'm not running at 1080p.

Maybe not applicable to your case, also not really a solution, but one day I started up some half life deathmatch and realized vsync was on (mainly the mouse lag). In-game settings, vsync off. Nvidia settings, vsync off. Not sure what changed, some steam update screwed something up? Couldn't figure it out, but eventually I tried playing in windowed mode and found that in windowed mode vsync was off and the game felt much better. So now I play half life deathmatch in windowed mode :p
maybe try that ^^ or full screen window mode, if you can.
Bad performance on modern equipment try 7th Guest. Love this OLD game still a slide show back then and now.
Try setting Power management mode in the NVIDIA control panel to "Prefer maximum performance." EVGA Precision X1 also has a toggle that you can use to force the card to use 100% power.
That should not be happening, but worth a check. Games certainly don't render at a higher resolution on my PC using Windows scaling instead of NVIDIA scaling. If that were the case I'd expect the video card utilization to be higher than what OP is reporting.
I don't know but that's what did it for me. I remember the first game playing after getting my new card was Apex and the FPS drops were bad. I thoguht it was maybe drivers, or the game or something weird with my new build. I then tried a few games and it was all terrible. Then I remember logging into Overwatch (I think) and seeing the resolution much higher than my monitor supports. I then checked a few other games and saw the same thing, super high resolution. Turned off windows scaling and fixed all my problems and I'm not running at 1080p.

I have tried all of these and sadly nothing allowed PS2 to break 60 FPS. Borderlands is doing a lot better though! Is it possible that PS2 is just...not able to display more than 60 FPS? Is there something I could do in the config file maybe?

Thank you!!

I have tried all of these and sadly nothing allowed PS2 to break 60 FPS. Borderlands is doing a lot better though! Is it possible that PS2 is just...not able to display more than 60 FPS? Is there something I could do in the config file maybe?

Thank you!!
from steam forum "solved it - theres a setting in Graphics options called "smoothing" - if you untick that it disables the frame cap : ) " game settings btw.

edit: there also this .ini method
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/frame-rate-smoothing.155313/

from steam forum "solved it - theres a setting in Graphics options called "smoothing" - if you untick that it disables the frame cap : ) " game settings btw.

edit: there also this .ini method
https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/frame-rate-smoothing.155313/

Thank you so much!!! You fixed it! It is above 60FPS now BUT, weirdly, my computer still jumps wildly between like 30 percent usage and 70 percent usage which causes my framerate to vary WILDLY. Any tips?

Thanks!!

Thank you so much!!! You fixed it! It is above 60FPS now BUT, weirdly, my computer still jumps wildly between like 30 percent usage and 70 percent usage which causes my framerate to vary WILDLY. Any tips?

Thanks!!
Planetside 2 is heavily cpu bound... Your gpu usage is probably just jumping around from that.

Back