Old seagate barracudas making siren like noises

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by Dunno7, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Dunno7

Dunno7 n00bie

I've put together the new system recently and salvaged my 2 old drives. ST3320620AS Barracuda 7200.10 if I remember correctly. Maybe they made such noises before but I couldn't hear it in the chassis. They make a siren like squeaks (not like those loud siren ones you can usually read about). I can barely hear them in silence. It's hhh h hhh h hhh h. They bother me a lot.

Should I be concerned about the drives? They're 11 years old by now

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. michalrz

michalrz [H]ard|Gawd

What does crystaldiskinfo show you?

3. Dunno7

Dunno7 n00bie

It says they're healthy

4. Krispy Kritter

Krispy Kritter Limp Gawd

What's the run time? Likely just aging bearings.

5. Dunno7

Dunno7 n00bie

You mean power on hours? Over 49 000 hours

6. mwroobel

mwroobel [H]ardness Supreme

Some of those old .10's had a whine to them even when relatively new. There was a firmware update to .AAE which helped with the acoustic profiles on some of the .10's. I believe you can find it here. It is also possible they are just old and the bearings are old/loud &/or failing.

7. matt167

matt167 [H]Lite

I have an old Toshiba built ( I think ) white label 320GB that sounds kind of like a siren. when it spins up, but it's been like that since new and it has a lot of hours on it. It's an IDE HD, in a USB 1.1 enclosure.

8. Dunno7

Dunno7 n00bie

Thanks for the answers, guys. I think I've figured it out. It just hit me. I had no HDD noise or anything like that on my old machine that used the drives and GS700 power supply. My GS700 power supply by Corsair also makes a buzzing noise now in the new system. Never did on the old machine. I think the culprit is the power supply. I headed over to Corsair forum. The only useful tip I found was to disable power saving in BIOS. I don't have it though. So I guess I should try another power supply. GS series is apparently crap. Never liked Corsair tacky quality.

Tags: