Old school watercooler needing assistance with "compression fittings"

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Ive watercooled everything for the past 20 years and always used hose barb type fittings but am so tired on clamps and the general looks of them. I would like to still use my 1/2ID 3/4OD flex tubing but switch to a compression type fittings, but have a few questions. How good are these with making a nice tight seal, and are these the correct fittings for my hose? http://www.performance-pcs.com/xspc...on-fitting-matte-black-finish-v2.html#Details

Compression fittings are all the rage these days. My earlier days was using barbs, tygon hose and zip ties as clamps. The only downside is there is another dimension you have to be sure of. I am pretty sure those particular ones would do for you just fine. XSPC is a pretty well known make so they won't be selling you shoddy parts.

Industrial compression (Swagelok, Yorlok, etc) are double ferreled and good to something like 5,000psi.

Standard single ferrel compression can be good up to about 400psi.

The good parts:

they are stupid easy to assemble and be leak tight - just make sure your tubing has a clean straight cut and you allocate enough length for the tubing to fit correctly in the fitting. The hardest part is making sure you don’t overtighten them - they are not like pipe thread where tighter is better

Works with a variety of different tubing.

They look clean. Especially if you run metal tubing with nice bends.

Can buy brass off the shelf at most home improvement stores: copper, stainless, aluminum, and black iron readily available online.

The bad parts:

they don’t always come apart and go back together leak tight. Most of the time they will, and in low pressure your probably more than fine, but technically you aren’t supposed to reuse the ferrel once it’s been compressed (just like a lock washer). If you are going to be hooking/unhooking a lot look into a Union, a push to connect, or flared type connector.

Can’t mix and match brands inside the same fitting - they won’t always work together

More expensive than barbed fittings

Need to make sure you have strain reliefs bear sharp tube bends (not really any different than any other fitting in this regard)

so those fittings in that link will fit 1/2ID 3/4OD hose?

so those fittings in that link will fit 1/2ID 3/4OD hose?
75d655d6bc988eb0c2b0241a19ac3b90.png

That is exactly what it says. In nice big letters.

Back