Old School Thermalright Silver Arrow for Ryzen 9 3900x over the stock cooler?

kamikazi

[H]ard|Gawd
As part of my computer reconfiguration that is ongoing, I will be moving my old Core i7 2700k to my wife's computer case which will not be able to accommodate the Silver Arrow that is currently attached to the 2700k. I'm building a server out in the Coolermaster ATCS 840 where the 2700k and Silver Arrow currently resides with an Asus Tuf x570 board and an R9 3900x. I just sent a request to Thermalright for the AM4 mounting hardware. Will the Silver Arrow do a better job than the stock cooler that comes with the 3900x? The server will run Blue Iris which is hard on AMD CPUs.

youre kidding right?
this
1588276146681.png

vs this
1588276285739.png

which do you think is better?

youre kidding right?
this
View attachment 241718
vs this
View attachment 241723
which do you think is better?

Well, you never know given the way a 3900x is laid out chiplet wise. Obviously, the fin layout is vastly superior. Without un-mounting it and looking at it, I'm not sure how large the contact plate on the Silver Arrow is. It's a four 8mm heatpipe design. So, the heatpipes probably cover somewhere between 32 and 35 mm across I guess. I haven't measured it.

Well, you never know given the way a 3900x is laid out chiplet wise. Obviously, the fin layout is vastly superior. Without un-mounting it and looking at it, I'm not sure how large the contact plate on the Silver Arrow is. It's a four 8mm heatpipe design. So, the heatpipes probably cover somewhere between 32 and 35 mm across I guess. I haven't measured it.
judging from yt vids the base should cover the whole chip just fine. its designed for use on FX chips and they arent really any smaller than ryzen chips.

judging from yt vids the base should cover the whole chip just fine. its designed for use on FX chips and they arent really any smaller than ryzen chips.

Thanks. This was an NH-D14 competitor in the day and people are using those on Ryzen, so it makes sense. I actually had an NH-D14 and returned it. I got much better performance from the Silver Arrow. The Noctua seemed concave on the bottom. I believe the Silver Arrow is fairly convex. I'll check to see if it needs lapping.

Thanks. This was an NH-D14 competitor in the day and people are using those on Ryzen, so it makes sense. I actually had an NH-D14 and returned it. I got much better performance from the Silver Arrow. The Noctua seemed concave on the bottom. I believe the Silver Arrow is fairly convex. I'll check to see if it needs lapping.
funnily enough, most of what i saw was compairing it to the d14. yeah check flatness and it should be a good step up from the stock cooler.

So does this on my 3950x
Thermalright hasn't even gotten back to me yet on the AM4 bracket anyway.

Yeah I know its out of scope of the thread but I was just having fun being immature lol
But in order to follow rules and keep it on topic I personally, having once owned the beloved 3900x monster CPU, would have to say that the included cooler is sufficient only for the CPU with out turning on PBO/PB2 functionality. It just puts out too much heat when auto-oc'd. I would recommend your other cooler for sure if you can find the AM4 mount kit for it. Or get something more aggressive over the stock box cooler.

Yeah I know its out of scope of the thread but I was just having fun being immature lol
But in order to follow rules and keep it on topic I personally, having once owned the beloved 3900x monster CPU, would have to say that the included cooler is sufficient only for the CPU with out turning on PBO/PB2 functionality. It just puts out too much heat when auto-oc'd. I would recommend your other cooler for sure if you can find the AM4 mount kit for it. Or get something more aggressive over the stock box cooler.

Oh, I got you, I wasn't taking offense or anything. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible for the server build, but still get a little better than stock performance. If I decide I need to further update cooling, I may try out that hydrosiphon cooler coming out this summer, but it's not cheap.

https://www.icegiantcooling.com/prosiphonelite

Thermalright got back to me after I followed up. They want me to send them $15 via PayPal to ship the free adapter to me for international shipping. I should have searched this part out sooner. It used to be available on amazon and ebay based on the old listings. First world problems I guess.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1875-ryzen-3900x-wraith-prism-rgb-vs-liquid-cooler/

Pretty good writeup about the difference between the stock cooler and higher end mainstream WC. I'm sure the same could be said for high end air.
It appears that the only bonus I'll see is lower temps/noise. However, Blue Iris will hit the cpu fairly hard, depending on the number of cameras. Since AMD doesn't support quicksync, it's not nearly as efficient as using Intel. It will be interesting to see.

I finally have the Silver Arrow installed on a 3900X in an Asus X570 TUF Gaming Plus. I haven't done a ton of testing with it. I have run Prime 95 Large FFTs for 6 hours to test out my memory subsystem. It seems to stay boosted between 4125 and 4150 across all cores on this test with temps going up and down from low 50s to mid 60s. A Cinebench R20 loop run for 300 seconds sees boosts around 3950 and temps hovering between 66 and 67. It does always seem to peak at 76.5 for a milisecond between each loop when the clocks jump before it really starts working again. I have the fan profile set on Turbo in the BIOS. Can't really hear the cpu fans over the rest of the system. It doesn't try to max the fans until you hit 70. I did put the fans at 100 once and they're not too bad, they run about 1300rpm and it does improve the cooling. All in all, I'm pleased to use this as a server. Now I just need to get everything loaded. I may hit it with Prime 95 small FFTs this weekend to see how it does.

Last edited:
I'm using a Thermalright Le Grand Macho on my 3900X - it was peaking about 75C when the temp was super high this summer and before I added that fan below my GPU... (we don't have AC).
Now that its cooled down a bit its peaking at 70C. I suspect that will only improve.

I'm using a Thermalright Le Grand Macho on my 3900X - it was peaking about 75C when the temp was super high this summer and before I added that fan below my GPU... (we don't have AC).
Now that its cooled down a bit its peaking at 70C. I suspect that will only improve.

I think Le Grand Macho was pretty much a Thermalright Silver Arrow and Thermalright Archon replacement, right?

I think Le Grand Macho was pretty much a Thermalright Silver Arrow and Thermalright Archon replacement, right?
All I know is that its hilariously large. Apparently this was designed to be a passive cooler - then they slapped a 140mm fan onto it.
(Note that my case is the overly gigantic Fractal Define 7 XL)
1601192871047.png

Back