Old PSU for GTX460

Tudz

Supreme [H]ardness
G'day,

I'm wanting to sell my friend a GTX460 768mb, stock clocks. He doesn't want to spend much, hence why I'm selling it to him. He's concerned his PSU wont be able to handle it, its a 500W Antec Neo. The problem is, its now about 5 years old.

Will it be ok? Or will it burn down his house? He's currently running an 8800GTS, and from the specs the GTX460 will consume about 40W more or something, but a shop owner told him to not buy a GTX460 a few months ago without first getting a new PSU. He doesn't want to get a new PSU before he buys a whole new PC down the track. He's running an E6600 CPU, 2gb ram, I believe a couple of HDDs, etc.

Cheers,
Tudz

40w isn't that much more and the shop owner probably said that so he could sell more stuff (they have to make money too)

How many amps are on the +12v rail(s) of that PSU?

i ran a GTX460 1gb on my thermaltake 420w easily.. no issues or anything like that .. but I also didn't overclock any part (and only had 1 HDD and 1 DVD)..

IMO i think it'd be fine.

I run my sig on a 3.5 year old coolermaster real power M520w that probably wasn't much good when I bought it. Since the antec looks like a decent unit, I'd risk it, but it's entirely up to you/him.

Back