Old Power Supply with Low Time in New Build?

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
My question is will a PSU unit, caps, etc., degrade from just sitting in a garage? The garage was in a higher humidity place, too. Other than that, it just sat.

I bought this PSU in Nov 2012, and used it for about 8 months in my rig for normal computing and gaming. Then it got stored in a garage for the last 7 years. I took the top off, contact sprayed it down and blew it dry. I necroed my old rig and it runs fine.
https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-Stry...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B005CM8V4I

It's a Platinum 500 watt fanless unit and rated at 600 wtts at Gold.

It was reviewed and torture tested by Johnny Guru.
https://www.jonnyguru.com/testing-methodology/

From his site:

"For testing power supplies, a SunMoon automated power supply load tester and a Weibo PF1211 are used. The Weibo reads the Volts, Amps, Watts and Power Factor on the AC input of the power supply.

The SunMoon load tester can dynamically load a power supply at the push of a button. The SM-268 model shown on this page has five memory settings and the ability to manually crank up the amperage while the power supply is already up, running and loaded.

I will actually program the loads each time I am given a different power supply to test. The loads are based on the overall capability of whatever power supply I’m looking at.

JGTesting4.jpg

He also sticks them in a hot box and tortures them.

He reported that the PSU is actually from Superfllower, which "was" one of his top manufacturers for PSUs, or actually his top choice, but said they were really hard to get in the USA. "Was" because I have no idea what he likes anymore. (Found my old review on Amazon, but his site no longer lists it.) His reviews are really fun to read, too, like "Opps, look like some hobos got into this PSU unti. It dropped off at . . . ." LOL

Anyway, it only has about 7 months on it and I'd like to use it again because it is a good one. When I opened it, it was really clean inside, no webs or dirt of any sort. It looked brand new. I sprayed it down with contact cleaner and I am using it in my old rig.

I don't want it to damage my new build that I am currently putting together. I'm building an AM4 all AMD build. I'm trying to keep the price as low as possible because I don't have the money like I use to anymore. If tehre is any chance this PSU has gone bad, I don't want to use it.

Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wouldn't be afraid to use it, but I'd also remember that PSU specs slowly change and various protections and connectors are considered more commonplace. Maybe 2012 isn't too far off but I've read of folks with old P3/P4 systems running into issues with 5v rail power on modern psus. I'd say build with it but maybe keep an eye out for PSU sales if prices retreat in the next few years.

Capcitors will degrade regardless of whether they're used or not. They'll also experience more rapid degradation if stored in a non-climate controlled environment like a garage or attic where they're subject to wide temperature swings constantly.

Even if it works, I wouldn't trust it in anything but a parts machine.

Capcitors will degrade regardless of whether they're used or not. They'll also experience more rapid degradation if stored in a non-climate controlled environment like a garage or attic where they're subject to wide temperature swings constantly.

Even if it works, I wouldn't trust it in anything but a parts machine.
What sort of problems would I see it it were a PSU problem, besides smoke pouring out of my rig? llol

I wouldn't be afraid to use it, but I'd also remember that PSU specs slowly change and various protections and connectors are considered more commonplace. Maybe 2012 isn't too far off but I've read of folks with old P3/P4 systems running into issues with 5v rail power on modern psus. I'd say build with it but maybe keep an eye out for PSU sales if prices retreat in the next few years.
This in itself is a really good reason to upgrade. Hardware is just becoming better. If I build it and it isn't right inside, is it going to fry my new hardware?

I'd also like to have another fanless unit.

What sort of problems would I see it it were a PSU problem, besides smoke pouring out of my rig? llol

Capacitors have several different failure modes, all of which affect power supplies differently. They can go open, short, physically leak, electrically leak, lose capacitance, go high ESR or any combination of those issues at the same time.

The most minor problem bad caps can cause is voltage and ripple regulation to go out of spec and cause the computer to act erratically. The worst issue they can cause is the power supply to go bang, along with whatever its powering.

Capacitors have several different failure modes, all of which affect power supplies differently. They can go open, short, physically leak, electrically leak, lose capacitance, go high ESR or any combination of those issues at the same time.

The most minor problem bad caps can cause is voltage and ripple regulation to go out of spec and cause the computer to act erratically. The worst issue they can cause is the power supply to go bang, along with whatever its powering.

Had that bang happen on a 1995-96 era computer . Voltage spike took the PSU and everything with it, including the CPU and MB, but never did see that since.

I think I will just get a new unit. Any suggestions for a 600 watt fanless?

Had that bang happen on a 1995-96 era computer . Voltage spike took the PSU and everything with it, including the CPU and MB, but never did see that since.

Before I started protecting all of my equipment with UPSes, I had a lightning strike come in through the cable wire, which blew up the cable modem, router and every network card in every machine in the house.

I think I will just get a new unit. Any suggestions for a 600 watt fanless?

I don't really trust fanless power supplies, they put a lot more stress on everything just for the novelty of not having a fan. Power supplies these days have large fans with variable speed control that barely make any noise unless loaded heavily.

Seasonic makes some decent PSUs where you can turn the fan off with a button like this one: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16817151189 They're just a lot more expensive.

Before I started protecting all of my equipment with UPSes, I had a lightning strike come in through the cable wire, which blew up the cable modem, router and every network card in every machine in the house.

I don't really trust fanless power supplies, they put a lot more stress on everything just for the novelty of not having a fan. Power supplies these days have large fans with variable speed control that barely make any noise unless loaded heavily.

Seasonic makes some decent PSUs where you can turn the fan off with a button like this one: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16817151189 They're just a lot more expensive.
I've been considering a new Seasonic. I can't hardly find them on Amazon, the ones I want anyway. The one you linked is what I would buy if I could find it on Amazon. That one is 99 bucks. That's a good price. I guess I would be ok with a hybred fan where it doesn't spin until it is needed. That would be ok. Do you know the different rating levels for the Seasonic PSUs?

Well, guess what? I found one: Platinum too! strange the Platinum is only 4 dollars more than the gold.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074N8YBK9/ref=dp_cerb_1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That would be ok. Do you know the different rating levels for the Seasonic PSUs?

It looks like they're advertising the 80PLUS ratings, of which there are several. I think it goes basic, bronze, silver, gold, platinum; With the farther you go to the right the higher the efficiency is supposed to be.

But the 80PLUS rating is really just a moneygrab from plug load solutions, the company that does the testing. The testing methodology is flawed, basically the power supply in question has to maintain a specific efficiency at specific load levels on an open bench with a room temperature of about 68F. This is nowhere near a real world scenario where almost all power supplies end up in computer cases where they often suck on the hot exhaust of a CPU, which can reach well over 150F in a poorly ventilated case.

Because the testing they do is arguably worthless and because their rating system is rife with abuse and often faked, going by their rating system is about the same as throwing darts at a list of power supplies blindfolded and using it because the dart hit it.

Jonnyguru does proper load testing and complete teardowns on units they review, they're a far better source for power supply reviews.

https://www.jonnyguru.com/

It looks like they're advertising the 80PLUS ratings, of which there are several. I think it goes basic, bronze, silver, gold, platinum; With the farther you go to the right the higher the efficiency is supposed to be.

But the 80PLUS rating is really just a moneygrab from plug load solutions, the company that does the testing. The testing methodology is flawed, basically the power supply in question has to maintain a specific efficiency at specific load levels on an open bench with a room temperature of about 68F. This is nowhere near a real world scenario where almost all power supplies end up in computer cases where they often suck on the hot exhaust of a CPU, which can reach well over 150F in a poorly ventilated case.

Because the testing they do is arguably worthless and because their rating system is rife with abuse and often faked, going by their rating system is about the same as throwing darts at a list of power supplies blindfolded and using it because the dart hit it.

Jonnyguru does proper load testing and complete teardowns on units they review, they're a far better source for power supply reviews.

https://www.jonnyguru.com/

I meant how Seasonic rates their own PSUs. They have several lines,such as the Focus, Focus+ etc. Some come with a 5 year warranty, some a 10 year warranty. Almost all of them come with Japanese caps, but some of their lower lines don't (I think).

Build quality and features. The more expensive ones will get you tier 1 components, while the less expensive ones will get you tier 2 (but not bottom barrel) components. Then there are things like modularity, cable type/sleeving, and warranty length that factor into price.

If you want something guaranteed to last a long time, get something with a 10 year warranty. If you cannot afford to replace your entire computer including any data that will be on it, get a new PSU so you don't have to worry about it.

I have a Seasonic M12D 750 watt (2007 era I believe) and a Coolermaster V1000 (Seasonic built from 2014 or so) still going strong. But then again, they are powering computers I can replace at any time, with data backed up elsewhere.

FYI difference between Focus and Focus Plus is the Focus Plus is fully modular.

I've got a few Focus Plus and used them for random testing and they've been fine for me so far, have 2 gold and 1 platinum.

Back