Old Power Supply Reusable For New Build?

SlapShot

Limp Gawd
I'm in the process of putting together a new pc build. I was over at friends earlier today talking about it. He pulled out a pc he had previously built, but used for only about 36 months. He asked if I wanted any parts from it (as his wife convinced him to go to the dark side - Apple).While nothing much else was usable, it did have, what I remembered as a very good power, and expensive power supply, as linked below. Any reason I couldn't use this in my new build and save some money?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/ocz-silencer-750-quad-crossfire-edition-review,1.html

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/...ing_silencer_750w_crossfire_edition_atx_psu/1

That power supply is 8 years old. So the question is... Did your friend buy a 5 year old power supply design 3 years ago, or did that power supply get more than three years of use?

He literally only used it for three years. The pc it was in has been out of use and in a closet since then.

i would take and keep it as a spare. You can get a million times better supply for around $80AR. well let me change that to much newer design rather than quality
Tsumi [H]ardForum Junkie, 5.0 Years

$80 AR for an EVGA Supernova 850 GS.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7738807-psu-...-fs-newegg-com

Well reviewed by JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory6&reid=414

Its not worth the risk using that old of a power supply for a new build...but thats just me

Last edited:
i would take and keep it as a spare. You can get a million times better supply for around $80AR. well let me change that to much newer design rather than quality

Its not worth the risk using that old of a power supply for a new build...but thats just me

I agree too, especially if the new build will have nice parts.

Another thing i wonder if it even would have the correct cables for the newest motherboards and or cards being that old. truthfully im not very failure with haswell and newer boards but there appears to be a tick in new eggs selection that says haswell compatible? I don't even know what that means but i doubt an 8 year old supply would include this in the design. The technology seems to change every couple years which makes older supply's less useful at least for a new build.

Looking at that review linked it seems that PSU is fine connectors wise.

As for "haswell compatible" haswell introduced some new very low power sleep states that some PSUs didn't like but it's usually possible to turn said sleep states off.

He literally only used it for three years. The pc it was in has been out of use and in a closet since then.

I wouldn't use it just because of age. Electrolytic capacitors age even if they aren't being used and can potentially fail from the rubber plug going bad on the bottom. If the unit is 7-8 years old, it's probably close to the end of its useful lifespan, at least in my experience.

I've come across new-old stock and barely used PSUs that were about the same age as yours at the time. The majority of them only lasted a number of months or a year before they failed. I pulled some of the units apart and it was a mix of vented caps or caps that dried up or shorted closed.

YMMV though. It'd probably be useful as a spare or a bench testing PSU if you didn't load it down too much.

As for "haswell compatible" haswell introduced some new very low power sleep states that some PSUs didn't like but it's usually possible to turn said sleep states off.

Thank you for the reminder, now I know why my system rebooted my PC when I configured my new Haswell to stock settings and max APM settings. I knew that, but completely forgot about it. (No problem though since I used overclock settings.)

Well I had issues with stutter while using a TX650 w/all power save options enabled.. once I got the 850 G2 from evga everything started working right. Who knows if my TX was starting to fail but, I now believe a modern psu matters.

Back