Old Pixilated Metroid Screenshot Redone In High Resolution

I definitely like this one more then the doom one

It's a good example of how fricken awesome a 2d scroller could look in this day and age... imagine if they did a HD remake...

It just makes me want them to remake these games with graphics like this for realsies.

:(

What amazes me is how he finds the textures for the materials and pieces them together so perfectly.

I definitely like this one more then the doom one

It's a good example of how fricken awesome a 2d scroller could look in this day and age... imagine if they did a HD remake...

It just makes me want them to remake these games with graphics like this for realsies.

:(

Yeah HD remakes of old school 2D games should look like this or have this high fidelity and resolution of the textures.

If Nintendo would a 2D HD remake of Super Metroid It would push me over the edge on the Wii U. I already want one but can't justify the purchase without any KILLER games.

I'm patiently awaiting Metroid Prime 4 and/or a Next-Gen Zelda and I'll be all over it.

Still has a cartoonie feel to them that becomes out of place when the textures are more refined.

I hope someone at Nintendo is watching this. A next gen side scrolling Metroid on the Wii-U with the touch screen tablet controller functions could be awesome.

Have to agree - if Nintendo actually cared about the WiiU, something like this would be on it...

Yeah... give me hd remakes of my favorite impossibly hard child hood games, don't charge more than 20 dollars for them, and you'll have me buying a Wii U in a blink of an eye... but honestly... right now I can't justfify buying the Wii U for ... just zelda... and I love zelda.

At first I was like meh. But then you see the work, the detail. It gives me a total appreciation for the work. I think the artist should release these as posters as only in that size can one appreciate them. I would hope Nintendo ect.. wouldn't block that kind of endeavor.
I want to buy a poster of Donkey Kong :D

If someone redid Metroid with that kind of graphics styling I would give up a kidney to play it.

Holy, I never knew it took so much work and time to do updates to old games like this. Massive props to the guy, he has some real skills with photoshop.

You know, considering Retro Studios (the Texas developer that made Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion) has been completely silent for at least 3 or 4 years on what their latest project has been, I wouldn't be surprised if we would see both a new 2D and 3D Metroid game come from them. Everytime anyone asks Nintendo "Why don't you have Retro do <blank>?" Nintendo always replies that Retro is too busy at the moment. And no one even knows what they're working on. It's a secret that the gaming industry has managed to keep for once.

If Nintendo would a 2D HD remake of Super Metroid It would push me over the edge on the Wii U. I already want one but can't justify the purchase without any KILLER games.

I'm patiently awaiting Metroid Prime 4 and/or a Next-Gen Zelda and I'll be all over it.

What about Super Metroid on the Wii U's virtual console? They're releasing it in May, I think, for 30 cents for their 30th Anniversary event. It'll have save states and Wii U controller only play.

Have to give props for some major skills.

Also, I'd love the Metroid games to come out as an updated 2D game. This is one of the reasons why I love my PSP. Many older classics were released updated as a 2D game with 3D graphics (e.g. Mega Man, Castlevania, Ghouls N Ghosts). Imagine what a more powerful system could do. Maybe not to the extent of the OP, but if you take a look at some of the newer games, with the correct art style, they could be awesome none the less.

Still has a cartoonie feel to them that becomes out of place when the textures are more refined.

Yes, it is rather "flat" looking, much like the doom one, but keep in mind it's all basically a copy/paste collage with some coloring/shading.

This is not to say that it doesn't take skill to achieve this, but it's not nearly the same thing as coming up with a concept from scratch and painting it all by hand.

Either way it takes a ton of patience to do a piece of work like this and that's notable. Oh, nostalgia factor help a lot too. I wonder if he'll do one for the original Mario Brothers, and make it all menacing looking... that would be just swell IMO

What about Super Metroid on the Wii U's virtual console? They're releasing it in May, I think, for 30 cents for their 30th Anniversary event. It'll have save states and Wii U controller only play.

Save states? That will completely ruin the challenge and satisfaction of the game if your just using save states. Ugh.

Save states? That will completely ruin the challenge and satisfaction of the game if your just using save states. Ugh.

Those are optional, not required. In fact, with how the virtual console for the Wii U works, you have to go into settings specifically to turn on the save states.

I am having the largest nerdgasm right now. Metroid nerdgasm. Not only is this art amazing, the soundtrack is too. Definitely off to go buy that. Just...wow.

1310650820313.jpg

Am I the only one who can really notice the input lag using the wireless wii controllers? I would imagine that it would make Super Metroid harder then intended.

Back