Old People Don’t Understand Twitter

I'm 30, I understand what twitter does, I know how to use it. I don't use it and don't see myself ever doing so. It's a pain in the ass texting and even more of a pain in the ass to text stuff to a website so all the people who care to look (nobody in reality) know wtf I am doing.

Frankly, I don't want everyone knowing what I am doing all the time either.

I understand, but I really don't care.

Apparently, these websites are for people to keep in contact with each other, and they use them as a way to describe who you are.

about 8+ years ago I used to be nuts with AIM and other messengers. Then it got to the point went I get on my PC I could never what I wanted to do, because I was always talking to someone.

I uninstalled that crap and never want to see it again. Twitter and My-space are for people who try to make their uninteresting lives seem interesting to the opposite sex. Sometimes same sex, if you bend that way.

My comment was very tongue in cheek.

I signed up for it to text a friend international and not get txt charges. About to turn that crap off. Twitter updates go off every freaking few minutes on my phone and its pissin me off.

Twitter is about as usefull as a box of bent, rusty nails. The main problem with Twitter is a ton of people post information, as if it were true and alot of people believe it and spread it as well ... infact most of the misinformation posted on Twitter is next to viral as far as I'm concerned, look at all the horribly wrong information spread about H1N1? yes 90% of that I will blame on Twitter.

I found facebook usefull for a few things, like talking to my sister when I was in germany, it was an easy way for the two of use to keep in contact especially when she didn't have any form of IM'ing capability.

Oh comments about text messages, texting is a very usefull tool, and yes I do still TALK on my phone. If i need to plan something, if I'm going to be on the move alot, if I need to network multiple people at the same time (I guess planning...) then yes I will text, texting is very important to me as far as a multi-tasking tool is concerned.

Those sites are intended for socializing, but for me socializing is made in person, face to face, not “virtually”.

In a few years we’ll end up like the people from the movie WALL-E :p

No I think we are headed to the "Idiocracy" model of civilization. The batin channel anyone? :p

Oh comments about text messages, texting is a very usefull tool, and yes I do still TALK on my phone. If i need to plan something, if I'm going to be on the move alot, if I need to network multiple people at the same time (I guess planning...) then yes I will text, texting is very important to me as far as a multi-tasking tool is concerned.

Yea that's also the good thing about emails/texts is the multitasking.

I don't use anymore than 500 minutes a month on my cell :p

I don't really understand Twitter and I'm 21. Then again, I don't really WANT to understand Twitter or any other "social network". I have a MySpace to keep up with some friends who live on the other side of the U.S. but I'm not really interested in what people I know are doing with their days and I don't care to record mine on the Internet. If you're interested in my life, I'd rather you ask me in person or call me.

I don't mind texting though. In fact I think it's badass as long as you don't do it while driving like a tool. Sometimes I just want to see what's up with people or tell them something quick without having to talk on the phone with them. It allows me to do other things and I can do it at times when it would be inappropriate to talk on the phone, like riding in the car with other people. I prefer good old face-to-face communication but texting has its place.

I thought it was a pretty funny clip. I'm not sure if Dave is really that clueless or just playing a part, but I generally agreed about not getting the point of twitter.

I have seen one way that it can be semi-useful....if you like a band and follow the setlists, twitter is useful. Even if you don't follow them, it's a good way for a person to post the set as it happens and it can then be added to a band oriented website as time permits.

I've never done it, but I've read boards where it was clear that some did.
I think the same might be true for following some tech event.
Nevertheless, I have no twitter account and unless a website provides a link, I don't go there.

I do have a facebook account, because a friend pretty much forced me.....it's fake name and all, but I check in every now and then....I think it could be useful, but i prefer to leave a very light digital footprint, so no real names allowed :D

If you're interested in my life, I'd rather you ask me in person or call me.

Seriously? I think this is what Facebook does best. I have zero interest in picking up a phone and having awkward conversations with people I haven't seen for 20 years but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in what they are doing with their lives. Relationships take a lot of work and only the really close ones survive. I think Facebook is a great way to passively maintain relationships with people that you would otherwise just lose contact with completely.

What I don't really understand is Twitter. If someone is a complete stranger to me then I have no interest in what they are up to. If their actions have no emotional resonance then what is the point? I can appreciate how celebrities can use it to maintain their 'brand' but beyond that it just seems unnecessarily narcissistic, or at worst, delusional.

i could care less about it either.. plenty, no i really mean it, PLENTY of other fun and exciting things to occupy your time

lets not BS here, the only thing we've used facebook or myspace for is stalking that hot chick in class that you're too afraid to talk to

lets not BS here, the only thing we've used facebook or myspace for is stalking that hot chick in class that you're too afraid to talk to

Speak for yourself. When everyone else thinks that way, you're the one guy that's got the courage. Do the math. LOL

I'm 31 and I don't understand any of it. Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, etc.

Meh, I understand the purpose of Twitter, I just don't see the value in it personally... I'm 27. I do see the value of FB, even though I don't use it anywhere near as much as some of my friends, but I do like the concept... Seems a lot less annoying (or well, easier to live with) than the deluge of IMs I used to endure... Which is all I really had growing up, besides IRC, which I still find very useful in certain respects, mostly related to gaming and clans/guilds/etc. Though it's been a couple of years since I've been part of one.

What I never understood was the sudden rise of the term blog... There were plenty of sites operating under the blog concept years before someone ever coined the word. /shrug Twitter seems to have taken off big with celebrities, I guess becuase it's a simple method of interaction/publicity they can have complete control of without little interference from their PR people, agents, etc.

I like Shaq's tweets, though I never really follow his tweets (or anyone's), mostly I just end up hearing about 'em elsewhere on the web or on Sportscenter, heh. :p

Oh and what I really don't understand is the people that are entirely averse to text messages... Yes, a ton of people do over-use them, if you need to reply to someone more than twice via text then just call for pete's sake... But I'd much rather receive a text message than a voice mail any freaking day of the week, I can't stand wading thru the menus to hear voice mail or having to hear some of the long-winded messages people leave.

Seriously? I think this is what Facebook does best. I have zero interest in picking up a phone and having awkward conversations with people I haven't seen for 20 years but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in what they are doing with their lives. Relationships take a lot of work and only the really close ones survive. I think Facebook is a great way to passively maintain relationships with people that you would otherwise just lose contact with completely.

What I don't really understand is Twitter. If someone is a complete stranger to me then I have no interest in what they are up to. If their actions have no emotional resonance then what is the point? I can appreciate how celebrities can use it to maintain their 'brand' but beyond that it just seems unnecessarily narcissistic, or at worst, delusional.

Meh, I don't think Facebook is a viable alternative to real communication. If someone feels like it would be too awkward to call me up every now and then or I feel that way about them, then it's probably someone that wasn't all that important to me anyway. I just don't believe in online social networks.

I wasn't going to say anything, but we're all posting on a forum about how much of a time waster twittering is, right? Isn't typing about it on this very forum an even greater waste of time? As much as I love "interneting/foruming", it can be such a major waste of time. I'm getting too close to the end for this crap anymore. :D

I wasn't going to say anything, but we're all posting on a forum about how much of a time waster twittering is, right? Isn't typing about it on this very forum an even greater waste of time? As much as I love "interneting/foruming", it can be such a major waste of time. I'm getting too close to the end for this crap anymore. :D

Theres a difference between wasting time, and thinking other people are sitting at home in rapt attention waiting for the details about how you waste your time.

Let's get one thing straight :D Nothing on [H] is a waste of time.

Back