Old P4, will it work on P35 chipset?

Arkalius

Limp Gawd
I'm kind of forced into building my new system now as my current mobo died. I'm getting a Q9450 when I can but in the meantime I plan to run my current CPU which is a Pentium 4 630 3Ghz CPU from 90nm days (Prescott). I just want to make sure this chip will run ok on a P35 chipset. If not I may have to buy a cheap allendale in the meantime...

I would think. One look at a GA-EP35-DS3P, it says..

CPU Support for an Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme processor/ Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor/Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor/ Intel® Pentium® processor Extreme Edition/Intel® Pentium® D processor/ Intel® Pentium® 4 processor Extreme Edition/Intel® Pentium® 4 processor/ Intel® Celeron® processor in the LGA 775 package
(Go to GIGABYTE's website for the latest CPU support list.)
L2 cache varies with CPU
1600 (O.C.)/1333/1066/800 MHz FSB

So I would think most would.

If it is a socket 775 chip, it should work fine.

Backward compatibility is usually not the issue. Forward is usually the sticking point.

Now, you will find very, very few people running a P4 chip in a P35 MOBO!!!

Good luck!

Don

Not only that but your Prescott will run Cooler than ever!!. You see the Prescott developed much of it's heat due to the chipsets it ran on. With a modern more efficient chipset they run much cooler!!
Check out my old 540 running on my Asus P5KE-wifi. I ran till my E8400 showed up!!
I also only used the stock cooler.

air-time.jpg

When was the last time you saw a Prescott running at 4275mhz and idling at 31C ??
It ran so cool I turned it up!! and never had any issues with heat!!
p-4pi.jpg

Now I reccomend this P5KE-wifi whole-heartedly cuz when I got my E8400 I added the Scythe cpu cooler and still on air well lets just say it hauls ass!!
Using G'Skill 6400HZ mem .
piguy.jpg

So get the board of your choice and have some fun with your old P-4

WeldZilla

Back