Old networking gear, toss, resell, or ??

Col_Temp

Weaksauce
Have an old Sonicwall TZ that a customer refused to pay for after they had it installed for a year. (That's a different story as to why but needless to say I don't do business with them anymore.)

So worth hanging onto to use as an upgrade if I ever need it again for a customer? Or should I just resell and walk away. Or better yet just recycle?

Considering the fact that for most applications a decent server if you have to, or the good old Comcast/ATT/whatever router you have is going to be good enough for most small businesses and homes.
Also, with the better APs out there today the need for VLANs and advanced routing is just not as needed. Suppose I could use it if I run into someone who wants to host their website on premises but frankly don't know many who bother anymore.

Figure there might be interst in the gaming community to use it for an upgraded device to host a muti-user server that would be firewalled from the rest of the network.

suggestions? thoughts?

PS: Pretty sure this is an old TZ205 so its about 8 years out of date now.

So usually anything still has an application if it is working. If it is a TZ205, the router is still capable of over 100Mbps wan to lan, can do multi-wan, and do ipsec vpn tunnels and more (like vlans). As long as it still works even if outdated, this is leagues better than any consumer router imo.

And even if not for production, working equipment like this is terrific for someone with a homelab to learn about the concepts in business and enterprise networking. (There's no better hands on training than trying to get an ipsec tunnel working between two different vendor's equipment, haha.)

Personally, if you don't need it, give it away or sell it cheap. If it was not working, that's when it might be destined for recycling--but with what people can do with almost any hardware now if they're diligent enough, I would even say that just working hardware, or even marginally working hardware is great for a tinkerer.

Hope this is some food for thought and if you really don't want it, I'll send you a prepaid UPS label for it as I have always wanted to learn some sonicwall stuff. (y)

So usually anything still has an application if it is working. If it is a TZ205, the router is still capable of over 100Mbps wan to lan, can do multi-wan, and do ipsec vpn tunnels and more (like vlans). As long as it still works even if outdated, this is leagues better than any consumer router imo.

And even if not for production, working equipment like this is terrific for someone with a homelab to learn about the concepts in business and enterprise networking. (There's no better hands on training than trying to get an ipsec tunnel working between two different vendor's equipment, haha.)

Personally, if you don't need it, give it away or sell it cheap. If it was not working, that's when it might be destined for recycling--but with what people can do with almost any hardware now if they're diligent enough, I would even say that just working hardware, or even marginally working hardware is great for a tinkerer.

Hope this is some food for thought and if you really don't want it, I'll send you a prepaid UPS label for it as I have always wanted to learn some sonicwall stuff. (y)
Hey if you could give me $10 for it plus the label, i would go ahead and mail it to you. The $10 makes the business pass through work for the books, (and pays for gas to mail it!).
Would be glad to basically gice it away so it gets used instead of gathering dust. It was a working pull. Like I said it was installed for a year at a customer site doing its thing. You will need to do a factory reset as I have no clue what the admin password is anymore. May have wiped the password but its been a few years and a heart surgery later.

Confirmed the following:
Sonicwall TZ205, Has original Power cord and brick. (Looks brand new still!)

Will not fit in a small priority mail box. But will fit in a medium.
That is assuming you are in the USA If acceptable send me a message.
Thanks

Very nice offer! I don't need it so if someone else sees this thread and needs it, PM the OP for it. (y) Otherwise, I will probably get it to add to the pile of stuff to play with 'when I have time'. :D

So as SamirD says anyone else more interested. Let me know. More than willing just to give this a good home.
Would have posted this in the WTS section as well but not up to the minimum yet!

Back