Old iPad Air, won't charge.

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
I was given an older iPad Air, model A1475.

The iPad won't turn on, only showing an empty battery icon on the screen with a red line at the bottom of the battery icon.

I've tried to charge it using 2 different lightning cables, and about 6 different USB chargers including several that can do more than 2A @ 5V. I've also tried charging it from a USB 3.0 port 2 different computers. In each case, the iPad does not seem to charge.

I know that the battery is not completely drained, as it still shows the empty battery icon in the middle of the screen when attempting to power the iPad on while not plugged in. It wouldn't display anything on the screen if the battery was totally dead.

The lightning port is at least partially functional, because the iPad reacts any time I plug or unplug the lightning cable. The screen will turn on, showing the empty battery icon as well as the lightning cable icon at the bottom of the screen. The tablet does not charge however.

About the only thing I can think of that I have not tried is using an "official" apple charger to try to charge the device. I don't have any official apple chargers, as I don't use many apple devices and the iPad was given to me without a charger. I'm not sure if this is worth spending money on since I've already tried it with so many other USB power sources including several that are known to be able to supply high amperage.

Would buying an official Apple charger be worth the gamble, or is there anything else I can try?

if it low enough to show the battery empty thing, it can take up to an hour for it to get enough charge to power up. how long have you left it in for? you can also try to reset the power circuit, hold power and vol down for like 30sec.

if it low enough to show the battery empty thing, it can take up to an hour for it to get enough charge to power up. how long have you left it in for? you can also try to reset the power circuit, hold power and vol down for like 30sec.

It's been plugged-in nearly continuously for over a week at this point, only unplugging it briefly to switch chargers, and leaving each one plugged in overnight at least. I've tried to reset it, using the home button + power button, as well as the volume button + power button. In each case it just shows the empty battery icon and nothing more.

It's been plugged-in nearly continuously for over a week at this point, only unplugging it briefly to switch chargers, and leaving each one plugged in overnight at least. I've tried to reset it, using the home button + power button, as well as the volume button + power button. In each case it just shows the empty battery icon and nothing more.
try the power and home hold for 30sec.

It may seem like the obvious question to ask, but have you checked the battery health on the device?

try the power and home hold for 30sec.

All I get is the same battery icon unfortunately.

It may seem like the obvious question to ask, but have you checked the battery health on the device?

How can I do that?

Just to be clear, the device currently won't turn on at all. From what I understand, there is a minimum battery level required for the device to turn on (even if it's plugged in).

I assume that there is no way to physically replace the battery, just given how notorious Apple is for not allowing people to repair their own devices, and I don't see any easy way to open the chassis. Really I was just hoping to get it to charge somehow.

How can I do that?

Just to be clear, the device currently won't turn on at all. From what I understand, there is a minimum battery level required for the device to turn on (even if it's plugged in).

I assume that there is no way to physically replace the battery, just given how notorious Apple is for not allowing people to repair their own devices, and I don't see any easy way to open the chassis. Really I was just hoping to get it to charge somehow.
Ah. Well in that case yeah you just have to replace the battery.

There are two options, Mail/bring in your iPad to Apple. The second is going to ifixit and looking at their tutorials on how to open up your device and then repair it.
I will say without even looking at the guide though, that it will be a PITA. IPads are effectively glued close. So it requires a heating element all around the edges. And then replacement of the adhesive to close. Those two steps alone make it not repairable for most people.

if you have a mac you could try and get configurator and see if it can revive the ipad. apple store is probably gonna be a PITA as youre not the original owner. yes^^ that is the prob with replacement, glued together. you need a heat gun and work around the edges or a heat mat to get it all at once.

if you have a mac you could try and get configurator and see if it can revive the ipad. apple store is probably gonna be a PITA as youre not the original owner. yes^^ that is the prob with replacement, glued together. you need a heat gun and work around the edges or a heat mat to get it all at once.
Him being the original owner at this point isn't relevant. That would only matter if the device was covered under Applecare and he wanted to specifically use the Applecare warranty. For a device this old it really doesn't matter as you'll be paying out of pocket. If you're the one that can unlock it, you're good. I have first hand experience with this. Basically every iPhone I've purchased except one I've gotten second hand. There has never been an issue with getting a battery replacement on any of those devices.

Him being the original owner at this point isn't relevant. That would only matter if the device was covered under Applecare and he wanted to specifically use the Applecare warranty. For a device this old it really doesn't matter as you'll be paying out of pocket. If you're the one that can unlock it, you're good. I have first hand experience with this. Basically every iPhone I've purchased except one I've gotten second hand. There has never been an issue with getting a battery replacement on any of those devices.
ok, and if he cant unlock it? theyll tell him to take a hike. at least thats how my local apple stores roll...

ok, and if he cant unlock it? theyll tell him to take a hike. at least thats how my local apple stores roll...
If you can't unlock the device you have a whole different set of problems. You should never buy a device that is icloud locked. That's more or less your fault for being an uninformed consumer.

If you can't unlock the device you have a whole different set of problems. You should never buy a device that is icloud locked. That's more or less your fault for being an uninformed consumer.
no shit.
this was given and has yet to be powered up. we dont know what status it is.

I'm a sample size of 2, but I've had this on 2 ipads.

Won't charge but will show something on the screen when attempting to. Won't power on no matter how long the charger is left plugged in.

Assuming your charger/cable works, I'm going to guess it's a dead battery. Battery replacement fixed it on both my ipads.

I had this happen to one of our Ipad air 2 at work. We were not able to solve the solut9ion. By the time we took it to apple, the cost of fixing it was not worth it. Good luck.

Your local indie apple service will change that battery for 30-40 dollars for you if you're interested in keeping the pad. Under no circumstances take the device to Apple unless the device still has warranty. They _will_ rip you off.

Back